The Student Room Group
Libeskind Graduate Centre
London Metropolitan University
London

London Met- really that horrible?

Scroll to see replies

My friend goes there, they tried to cut his course halfway through first year.
Libeskind Graduate Centre
London Metropolitan University
London
Reply 21
Original post by JollyGreenAtheist
It's not great, but it's not exactly the gulag.

TSR is populated with academic snobs, who turn their noses up at anyone who hasn't got at least 7 A*s at GCSE, A*AA at A-level and doesn't attend Oxbridge, Imperial or LSE.

It's not the best university in the world, but it is the largest university in the UK, covering the most ground. It doesn't have very high standards, but that might suit some people; not everyone is an academic genius.

It's not even the worst uni in London. University of East London is far inferior.

Open university is the largest university in the UK :smile:
Reply 22
They claim to have improved student satisfaction by 6%. I wonder what it was to start with...
Either way 200 UCAS points is a damn good offer.
Original post by Lulamae
I'm not actually all that interested in going there, I was just wondering why everyone has chosen to make it their number one 'horrible' school. :smile:

That is a fair question.

I think it is because to some degree London Met is the perfect storm.

The criticism isn't limited to uninformed academic snobs.

The predecessor of London Met has had management problems for 30 years. There have been dreadful staff/management relations for as long. The mergers between North London Poly and North East London Poly and between University of North London and London Guildhall University went badly. There have been financial scandals, the recent course closures were handled very badly and now plans to close down bars have been, almost certainly falsely, attributed to the wishes of Muslim students.

And then there is this week's story

London Met links with Stag-do firm
(edited 12 years ago)
League tables aside, London Met hasn't got a good reputation due to trying to cut courses half way through the year and its buildings are generally quite poor. I say that as an MMU student, which also comes under fire because it has Metropolitan in its name, but nevermind. I wouldn't personally recommend it as a university to be honest, but if you like the course and have been to visit it is your decision, don't let TSR snobs get in the way.
Original post by jelly1000
London Met and Imperial College are not part of the University of London.

why 3 negs for stating the truth?
Reply 26
Still have no responds from those who actually studied there =/
Reply 27
I dont really think london met is dat horrible following my experience just dat most of the activities or modules there, they engage students into are boring, obviously I think dat is applicable to every other university as well. Not withstanding that the library opening hours is mind blowing because most university library hours operates 24hrs meaning londonmet dont encourage their students to study hard.Besides the negative aspects of it, I will say the university atmosphere is the best I have seen so far in terms of its cultural diversity,,,,,,bear in mind londonmet is the largest UK University that is cultually diverse, with the best laboratory in Europe as well...........Anyway i think is enjoyable, it is left for you to deveolop yourself as an individual.
Original post by Emmy04
I dont really think london met is dat horrible following my experience just dat most of the activities or modules there, they engage students into are boring, obviously I think dat is applicable to every other university as well. Not withstanding that the library opening hours is mind blowing because most university library hours operates 24hrs meaning londonmet dont encourage their students to study hard.Besides the negative aspects of it, I will say the university atmosphere is the best I have seen so far in terms of its cultural diversity,,,,,,bear in mind londonmet is the largest UK University that is cultually diverse, with the best laboratory in Europe as well...........Anyway i think is enjoyable, it is left for you to deveolop yourself as an individual.

you made a new account just for this?
Reply 29
Is LonMet really that horrible? it depends on what kind of experience you want. I am a Mature Student (Education Studies & Eng Lit) I put my head down and get on with my work and its fine.
I did very well at GCSE & A-Level and 10yrs ago could've gone anywhere but right now LonMet suits me as I recently returned from living & working abroad and just needed to be central to get my bearings having not lived in London for 11yrs.
I find the Education Studies lecturers to be well qualified and experienced, the module selection is poor due to recent changes but the content is kept current.
I enjoy going to LonMet, I am embarrassed sometimes but I reckon a first is a first is a first.

Uni is what you make it. If you want to party go somewhere fun, if you want a serious career - get the grades and head to Oxbridge, if you just want to broaden you horizons - go wherever the wind takes you and don't worry so much, life is for living
Reply 30
hi guys after listening everyone now i have a fair idea about this university. Although i am still going to ask you, i have offer letter from London Met and RHUL. Could anyone tell me which university MBA is better in terms of Job Security after completion of the course?
Original post by Emmy04

How long did that take you to think up?
Reply 32
I did the extended foundation science there and achieved AAAA on all modules(and no it wasnt easy). I worked really hard and im not thick. I didn't have the regular marks (Alevel etc) because i was very ill in my a level years, but attended the top school in my county. Not that that is relevant. Who cares about top school, top uni. It just get on my nerves and really makes people feel inferior just because they didnt go to the top uni in the country. You get out what you put in. The science labs are excellent at lon met. Better than any other unis labs that i have seen. I actually really enjoyed my year. I will admit i didn't join many societies as i was commuting so didn't really get time. The staff are helpful, but like with all unis you have to teach yourself through study especially with biological sciences. Hope thats a help. Just thought i will give you an informed answer.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 33
hey everyone... Im starting Uni in september and i have applied in london met... but after reading on these forums in confused ... i still have a choice between Kingston or london met .. im going to do an economics/financial economics degree ... plesse help me out as i need to choose by the end of this week... this is also my forst time in UK so plz help me
thanks in advance :smile:
Reply 34
I dont know about kingston, but my expeience as a finance student at london met has been satisfactory. they just improved all their modules this year so I guess its much better now. plus, london met offers one year (sandwich year) work placement after you finish your 2nd year. it drastically improves your chances of finding work right off u graduate, as every company look for people with experience in the field.
Reply 35
Before anyone tries slating me off, I am a current student at London Metropolitan University. I have just finished my first year and moving onto my second year. I hope to give a comprehensive insight into what it is like at the University.

I am doing Aviation Management, which is a hard course with many assignments and exams. The modules are actually well taught and the teachers have worked in the industry so they know what they are talking about. There are some students who don't want to try hard enough, that is their problem. I want to do well and if employers see that you have worked hard for your degree, no matter where you go, they will give you a chance.

My course is in the process of being changed. Instead of everything being rushed like the years before I entered the University, there is more time for teaching and assignments are no longer crammed in. I personally think that is a better system, but I know what people are like on this forum as soon as London Met is mentioned.

Facilities are ok, not the best but definitely not the worst and trust me, I have seen bad. Trips are regularly organised by the department to Rolls Royce, Amsterdam, America to have networking opportunities with industry leaders such as Boeing, Airbus etc.

I am yet to have any issues with administration and the handing back of coursework. The feedback has helped me improve my marks over the first year. I am one of those people who take the first year seriously.

But yes, that is my insight. I hope prospective students are not put off by the viewpoint of most on this forum. No one is a failure and it is what you make of the course that the employers will be impressed with!

PS, I don't work for London Met or have been asked to say this because I know someone will try and say it.
Reply 36
Original post by HHeming
Before anyone tries slating me off, I am a current student at London Metropolitan University. I have just finished my first year and moving onto my second year. I hope to give a comprehensive insight into what it is like at the University.

I am doing Aviation Management, which is a hard course with many assignments and exams. The modules are actually well taught and the teachers have worked in the industry so they know what they are talking about. There are some students who don't want to try hard enough, that is their problem. I want to do well and if employers see that you have worked hard for your degree, no matter where you go, they will give you a chance.

My course is in the process of being changed. Instead of everything being rushed like the years before I entered the University, there is more time for teaching and assignments are no longer crammed in. I personally think that is a better system, but I know what people are like on this forum as soon as London Met is mentioned.

Facilities are ok, not the best but definitely not the worst and trust me, I have seen bad. Trips are regularly organised by the department to Rolls Royce, Amsterdam, America to have networking opportunities with industry leaders such as Boeing, Airbus etc.

I am yet to have any issues with administration and the handing back of coursework. The feedback has helped me improve my marks over the first year. I am one of those people who take the first year seriously.

But yes, that is my insight. I hope prospective students are not put off by the viewpoint of most on this forum. No one is a failure and it is what you make of the course that the employers will be impressed with!

PS, I don't work for London Met or have been asked to say this because I know someone will try and say it.

You do realise at the much higher ranked uni's, there is a serious difference in difficult of work, doing well at a low ranked uni doesn't equate to someone doing well at a top ranked uni, as their modules are much harder,etc. Hence why employers always go for those types because those uni's work their students hard and make sure they are up to scratch.

Nor is it true for most employers about what you make of the course is what they like solely, that only plays a partial part, they consider so many other factors, a persons extra curricular, work experience, etc. And the reason why employers favour the higher ranked uni's is simply because the students who have graduated from there have delivered so they always favour them, doesn't mean to say that coming from London met you have no chance, but you'll be at a severe disadvantage if you just made use of the course only. Most high ranked uni's now include compulsory modules which aren't related to the course but are used to increase students employability by making cv's, answering questions expected in interviews, which count as coursework, etc.
Don't also forget that many graduate scheme require entry requirements from ucas points, which London met students fall below, even employment rate is bad compared to other uni's http://unistats.direct.gov.uk/searchResults.do

In all honesty, London met has certainly got issues with it's administration as a whole and how it operates is appalling for students, certain courses are fine like Architecture, Law, etc.

In todays time with the new fees, people seriously reconsider about London met who are charging the full £9k which is to be fair is unfair when other uni's offer so much more. But that's my viewpoint.
Reply 37
Original post by C1a1r3119
I did the extended foundation science there and achieved AAAA on all modules(and no it wasnt easy). I worked really hard and im not thick. I didn't have the regular marks (Alevel etc) because i was very ill in my a level years, but attended the top school in my county. Not that that is relevant. Who cares about top school, top uni. It just get on my nerves and really makes people feel inferior just because they didnt go to the top uni in the country. You get out what you put in. The science labs are excellent at lon met. Better than any other unis labs that i have seen. I actually really enjoyed my year. I will admit i didn't join many societies as i was commuting so didn't really get time. The staff are helpful, but like with all unis you have to teach yourself through study especially with biological sciences. Hope thats a help. Just thought i will give you an informed answer.

Hi
thanks for posting this, I just wanted to know what you decided to study after you had finished the course? did you only do year 0? Also, was it an option for you to study Biomedical Sciences leading to MD at London Met (study in Antigua for a year) , after earning those grades?
Unfortunately, I'm in the same boat as you were being ill etc.
Therefore I'm starting the extended science course this september and just wanted some answers regarding those questions.

Many thanks :smile:
Wow, they cut courses halfway through the year? :lolwut: How can they do that? That sound so bad! :s-smilie:
Original post by C1a1r3119

Did you transfer?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending