The Student Room Group
Reply 1
bachelor
Why do you want to work at Selfridges? What has interested you in this position ?

How would one go about answering the above questions? Any tips?
It's for a p/t post as a sales assistant.

thanks

Well, you could say that you enjoy interacting with members of the public and get satisfaction from helping them with their queries... If you are applying to work somewhere like Selfridges, an interest in fashion would almost certainly be beneficial.

Just a few thoughts that occurred to me...
Reply 2
yeh i've applied to them, and put in something like that shown above.

but i really dislike the idea of applying for a job over the internet. it feels quite impersonal, and the two previous times i've triend through them, all i received was an automated email acknowledging application receipt, then.. nothing. not even a "sorry, please try again soon".
Reply 3
silence
but i really dislike the idea of applying for a job over the internet. it feels quite impersonal, and the two previous times i've triend through them, all i received was an automated email acknowledging application receipt, then.. nothing. not even a "sorry, please try again soon".

Is there a number you can call? Sometimes just getting through to a human being can make all the difference! If you are applying directly to Selfridges (rather than through an agency), you could give it a few days and give their personnel department a call...
I just applied for a part time job at selfridges too with little retail experience, I hope we're all not applying for the same position here, cos I want that job :p:
I need a job :frown:
Reply 5
Companies are so rude these days, I've applied for many p/t jobs and never heard a single word! no letter, nothing, I even phoned up Kookai 2 weeks after handing in my CV and they hadn't a clue. *****!
Clodagh
Companies are so rude these days, I've applied for many p/t jobs and never heard a single word! no letter, nothing, I even phoned up Kookai 2 weeks after handing in my CV and they hadn't a clue. *****!

dont say that :eek:
Reply 7
it must be agreed with, at least in some instances; companies can be very rude.

although in a sense they are the ones providing us with a job (which they don't have to do), the human resourcing departments can be quite unresponsive/non-existant. i'm sure these places have a lot of people applying for probably a few jobs. but where there are many applicants, there should be the right staff and departmental structures to deal with such numbers, respectfully. printing off cv's and filling out countless application forms can be very boring and time consuming, and i think that it's nice (even if you receive a letter of rejection) to get some feedback and concern.

with regards to selfridges, i must have applied 2-3 times through both selfridges and an agency this summer. i called up selfridges after hearing nothing from a human being (just an automated email saying they'd received my online application), and they said that if not hearing anything after 21 days it means that you're usually unsuccessful. but she said you can apply again just for a different section - i.e. foodhall instead of menswear. so i'm presuming it might not be a bad idea just to apply to every available position within reason. another thing, is that it's a bit of a silly way to apply for temporary work over the summer via the internet. i usually find it better to talk to someone in person, or at least on the phone, and tell them you're after a month or two's temporary work over the summer. when filtering online applications, they probaby (in my opinion) immediately chuck out those who can't commit for at least 6 months.

Latest