The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Lancaster 2012 Applicants!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 280
I'm currently studying at Lancaster (only a 1st year but I still know the place and my departments pretty well) if anyone has any questions. The main thing i'd stress, as a lot of people didn't realise this when they arrived, YOU STUDY 3 SUBJECTS IN 1ST YEAR. This is different to other universities. This depends on your chosen subjects (a Psychology major, for example, can only choose 1 other subject) but in general this is the rule. Just something to consider when making a decision. IMO it's a good thing because it gives you more flexibility but *shrugs*
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Original post by blondie :)
Offer for Politics and Sociology! I'M SO HAPPYYYY!!! :biggrin:
It hasn't appeared on track yet, I really want to know the conditions of my offer! I got a letter in the post saying 'I am very pleased to inform you that I have recommended that the University makes you an offer of a place at Lancaster'

:excited: :excited: :excited: :excited: :excited:

WELL DONE! :smile: Can I ask what date you sent your application?
Reply 282
Original post by dr.phalange
WELL DONE! :smile: Can I ask what date you sent your application?

Thank you! :biggrin: I applied on 4th November, my friend applied on the 3rd and got an offer for geography with earth science today as well :smile:
Thank you! :biggrin: I applied on 4th November, my friend applied on the 3rd and got an offer for geography with earth science today as well :smile:

Ooh so it hasn't taken that long really - last year I applied on the 14/11/10 and only got an offer mid January!
I applied on the 10/11/11 so maybe it won't be long until I hear back :biggrin:
Will it be your firm?
Reply 284
Ooh so it hasn't taken that long really - last year I applied on the 14/11/10 and only got an offer mid January!
I applied on the 10/11/11 so maybe it won't be long until I hear back :biggrin:
Will it be your firm?

I'm guessing it depends on the different departments? Plus last year I can imagine had more competition. What have you applied for? I hope you get an offer soon :biggrin: I think it will, it looks amazing! :love: will it be yours?
(edited 12 years ago)
I'm guessing it depends on the different departments? Plus last year I can imagine had more competition. What have you applied for? I hope you get an offer soon :biggrin: I think it will, it looks amazing! :love: will it be yours?

I've applied for Law :-) It was my firm last year and I missed it by 2 UMS :frown: I had my heart completely set on it so I wanted to go in 2012 rather than go to a different university :smile:
My boyfriend goes there so I spend weekends at the university, it's amazing! It's the only place I've applied for and if my resits don't go well then I have 3 other choices left on ucas if I need them :redface:
What grades do you need/are predicted?
(edited 12 years ago)
i've applied for maths, anyone got an offer?
Reply 287
I've applied for Law :-) It was my firm last year and I missed it by 2 UMS :frown: I had my heart completely set on it so I wanted to go in 2012 rather than go to a different university :smile:
My boyfriend goes there so I spend weekends at the university, it's amazing! It's the only place I've applied for and if my resits don't go well then I have 3 other choices left on ucas if I need them :redface:
What grades do you need/are predicted?

Ohhh that's ashame :frown: I'm scared something like that will happen, so I'm going to work so hard, I have such an incentive now! :biggrin: I know a girl who applied for Lancaster law early October and she hasn't heard anything so you shouldn't worry too much :smile: I really liked Sheffield... but the city university put me off, I just love campus unis! I went to Scotland the other week and we drove down the M6 and got too excited when we went past Lancaster :colondollar:
Track hasn't updated yet, but the standard offer is ABB and that's what I'm predicted, so hopefully I can achieve it! I'm assuming you need AAA or something for law? :redface:
Ohhh that's ashame :frown: I'm scared something like that will happen, so I'm going to work so hard, I have such an incentive now! :biggrin: I know a girl who applied for Lancaster law early October and she hasn't heard anything so you shouldn't worry too much :smile: I really liked Sheffield... but the city university put me off, I just love campus unis! I went to Scotland the other week and we drove down the M6 and got too excited when we went past Lancaster :colondollar:
Track hasn't updated yet, but the standard offer is ABB and that's what I'm predicted, so hopefully I can achieve it! I'm assuming you need AAA or something for law? :redface:

Yeah I looked at Sheffield last year but I really didn't want to live in a big city! :smile: Well I've applied for Law and Law with Criminology, I think I want to do the combined Law degree as it seems to interest me more. Law is AAA and the combined with Criminology is AAB :smile:
So I just have 3 exams in January to bump all my B's up to A's and then hopefully won't need to do any in June :biggrin:
Best of luck! Hope to see you next year! :tongue:
Original post by ccfcadam36
i've applied for maths, anyone got an offer?

24 days and counting! Hoping for an offer soon!
Original post by rachaelizabeth
24 days and counting! Hoping for an offer soon!

Ive got a letter in the post saying ive got an offer!!! but i cant log in to track to see it :frown: Hopefully your offer will be there soon!! :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
Just got a letter from Lancaster Maths department; they say I should get an offer from UCAS soon :smile:
Reply 292
Yeah I looked at Sheffield last year but I really didn't want to live in a big city! :smile: Well I've applied for Law and Law with Criminology, I think I want to do the combined Law degree as it seems to interest me more. Law is AAA and the combined with Criminology is AAB :smile:
So I just have 3 exams in January to bump all my B's up to A's and then hopefully won't need to do any in June :biggrin:
Best of luck! Hope to see you next year! :tongue:

I've just found out that Lancaster want AAB... I'm going to have to work so hard to get that :frown: Best of luck to you too! :biggrin:
Original post by EdgarMcMunchkin
Just got a letter from Lancaster Maths department; they say I should get an offer from UCAS soon :smile:

Congrats. Let us know when you get your offer, I'd be interested to see what it is.

When I applied for Maths I got in with ABB (I'm now in my 2nd year) so I'd be interested to see how much they have changed in 2 years.
Reply 294
Got the "I'm recommending you to the admissions office" letter from the Maths department! :smile: Pretty sure it means I'm getting an offer...
does anyone know what subjects are available to do as a 3rd subject in the first year for the maths degree
Offer for Linguistics! :biggrin:
Original post by mackemforever
Congrats. Let us know when you get your offer, I'd be interested to see what it is.

When I applied for Maths I got in with ABB (I'm now in my 2nd year) so I'd be interested to see how much they have changed in 2 years.

Just out of interest, what grade did you get for Maths a level? What are the chances of them taking me on if i only I got a B :s-smilie:
Original post by EdgarMcMunchkin
Just out of interest, what grade did you get for Maths a level? What are the chances of them taking me on if i only I got a B :s-smilie:

I got an A in maths, didn't do further maths, and I think that you will struggle to get an offer now with only a B in maths.

When I applied first (3 years ago) I was in 6th form, and the offer they made me was for AAB with the only subject requirement being an A in maths. I turned their offer down (long story) and ended up taking a gap year having achieved ABB. They then made me an unconditional off during my gap year for my ABB grades.

So I do think that without an A in maths you are likely to be disappointed but if you're personal statement and extra curricular portions of your application are good then you stand a much better chance. As I said, I got accepted with lower grades than my first offer, despite the standard offer going up for my 2nd application year. When I spoke to the head of admissions for the department after starting here he said that I was made the offer because my personal statement was one of the best he had seen for years!

So, especially with Maths at Lancaster, your PS counts for a hell of a lot.
Reply 299
Maths offer was put on Track at last. AAB with A in Maths :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest