The Student Room Group

Beer...?

Can someone recommend a beer for a beginner as I have tried Carlsberg, Fosters and Carling and disliked all of them and as I spend too much on Vodka I am really eager to find an easy nice tasting beer...

So any suggestions? :colondollar:
Reply 1
Budweiser is nice, desperados, peroni, becks, san miguel, kronumberg. I personally like fosters but hate carling and carlsberg.
Reply 2
Always get bottled. The glass has a better effect on the taste.

As for beer brands, I favour the standard Stella Artois 5% premium lager.

Keep trying around bro.
Reply 3
A golden, inoffensive, hoppy ale. Something like Dark Star's Hophead or Castle Rock's Harvest Pale.

Otherwise - start with shandy or lager and lime made with ****e commercial lager until you get a taste for it. Any of the dreadful brands mentioned in the above 2 post will do.
Reply 4
So far only lager has been mentioned.
Give ales or stouts a chance. Real ale is sometimes cheaper than lager too. Guinness is easy to drink as it doesn't taste of much compared to other stouts...and what flavour is there isn't bad. Much more preferable than carslberg, fosters or carling (which I firmly believe is probably the worst beer in the world, no parodying of carlsberg's slogan intended) in my opinion.

Some so called 'premium lagers' are also not too bad I have to say. Kronenbourg 1664 was decent enough last time I had it: after two weeks of drinking ridiculously cheap yet palatable french lager (4 euros for 5 litres, anyone?)

I suggest avoiding Stella though, the price tag and taste do not match.
Reply 5
I would reccomend the one and only export hugenbrow.

Reply 6

Reply 7
Bulmers :wink:
Reply 8
Tbh you have only tried the cheapest and worst of the bunch.

I tend to like premium lagers, Stella, Kronenburg, Grolsh, Peroni etc. Tuburg is cheaper and quite nice as well. James Boags (an Australian beer) and Steinlager (NZ beer) are both very nice, but you would be lucky to find them in the UK.

The best thing to do is try as many as possible; especially local beers or short runs if you local pub does them. Every one is slightly different, and sometimes it can be nice to have a real change and know what you like. Even if you drink lager most of the time, picking up a nice dark ale can be good occasionally.
Reply 9
I don't tend to drink a lot of lager, I prefer ale, much tasier drink. Although I prefer spirits overall.

Lagerwise I tend to go for sol/ corona/ desperados, occasionally wifebeater (stella), kronenbourg, san miguel, amstell, heineken, peroni. You do get what you pay for, cheap **** is never an option.
Try ales man, anything local, it tends to be cheaper and a much better drink overall I think.
Reply 10
Drink craft beer! The new craze sweeping the UK.

Refuse to put up with the choice between cold fizzy yellow piss and warm flat brown piss.
Go for nutty/hoppy ale or stout :coma: Or if you wanted just lager try Amstel, Kronenburg, Peroni, Tiger, Cobra and Danish Budweiser (the american one is vile).
Reply 12
Original post by IceCool
Budweiser is nice, desperados, peroni, becks, san miguel, kronumberg. I personally like fosters but hate carling and carlsberg.

Budweiser isn't even technically beer.
Reply 14
Original post by CharlieSChaplin
Can someone recommend a beer for a beginner as I have tried Carlsberg, Fosters and Carling and disliked all of them and as I spend too much on Vodka I am really eager to find an easy nice tasting beer...

I am a beginner to beer as well and these are some that I found at first tolerable, and then quite nice very quickly:

Budweiser Budvar
Erdinger
Hoegaarden
Peroni

Others then became acceptable once I got used to the nice ones ^

Ale tends to be a bit tougher to get down, I think - a lot more taste (not necessarily a good thing).

Btw I'm sure vodka is cheaper than beer, per getting-drunk unit?
Golden Ales are a nice introduction to the world of real ale -try Well's Bombadier Burning Gold.
I can thoroughly recommend Brakspear Bitter and Oxford Gold.
Reply 17
Corona or some ciders are nice like Bulmers or kopperberg
(edited 11 years ago)
Try Banana Bread Beer. Love that stuff.
Reply 19
Original post by CharlieSChaplin

Desperados are really nice when you just start drinking. Personally though I recommend avoiding the lagers and try a good real ale, you might just like it.

Quick Reply