The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

UCL Modern Languages Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by belligerent ghoul
Thanks! And same. Yeah, I'm 99% sure I'll be firming UCL, you? I've had offers from Exeter, Nottingham and Bristol, still waiting on Durham! :smile:

I've had offers from Nottingham, Bristol, Bath, UCL and Leeds but I'm not sure if I want to live in London or not.. Hopefully I'll see you around :smile:
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Original post by purpleelement
I've had offers from Nottingham, Bristol, Bath, UCL and Leeds but I'm not sure if I want to live in London or not.. Hopefully I'll see you around :smile:

Ah, cool. Well, if you have any questions about London feel free to ask me. Lived here all my life! :smile:
Reply 82
I went to the modern languages open day at UCL today. :smile: I'm still not sure whether it's the course for me, though. :s-smilie:
Did anyone else go today, or have they got theirs next week? :smile:
Reply 83
Original post by lowri
I went to the modern languages open day at UCL today. :smile: I'm still not sure whether it's the course for me, though. :s-smilie:
Did anyone else go today, or have they got theirs next week? :smile:

I have mine next week! Would you mind telling me how it was and what you thought of it please? I have no idea what to expect.
Reply 84
Original post by Gales
I have mine next week! Would you mind telling me how it was and what you thought of it please? I have no idea what to expect.

Sure :smile:
Well, everyone had to register at 1.30pm and then there was a Q+A session where a professor talked about UCL in general, a bit about its history and then an overview of modern languages at UCL. Then we had 3 mock seminars. After that, we had individual timetables - you will have at least 1 talk (you sit around a table with a few other applicants & a tutor talking about the course) and a tour. There were no scary interviews or anything which was quite a relief :smile:
Reply 85
Original post by lowri
Sure :smile:
Well, everyone had to register at 1.30pm and then there was a Q+A session where a professor talked about UCL in general, a bit about its history and then an overview of modern languages at UCL. Then we had 3 mock seminars. After that, we had individual timetables - you will have at least 1 talk (you sit around a table with a few other applicants & a tutor talking about the course) and a tour. There were no scary interviews or anything which was quite a relief :smile:

Thank you! :biggrin:
What did you think of the uni?
Reply 86
Original post by Gales
Thank you! :biggrin:
What did you think of the uni?

You're welcome :biggrin:
Well, I didn't really get to see a lot of it, which is a shame. We spent most of the time in one room and when we did get the tour, we didn't go to the library or the gym or accommodation or anything- I wish I could have seen more of the actual building! It was really rainy and grey so it may not have had the best impression it could have done. I think I'm going to look round again this weekend to get a bit more of a feel for it. :smile:
Which other universities are you looking at?
Reply 87
OMG i totally did not know that there was an UCL modern languages thread! Awesome! Hi everyone! I got an offer for Russian at UCL. It's gonna be my firm and since my offer is not too high (it's just right) I really hope I meet it and get in! Woopee! Im so excited I cannot wait!

I wish I could go to the Open day.. :frown: But since I live in hong kong... I don't think I can. :frown:
Reply 88
Original post by Gales
You excited? :biggrin: I am!
What languages are you going for?

French and Italian. You? Excited but slightly nervous about actually finding my way there. I'll probably be the one who wanders in half an hour late, having got lost on the tube somewhere..
Original post by *Hannah
Me!

me too :smile:
Reply 90
[QUOTE="mariann013;36442372"]
Original post by Angelala

I am an international so didn't get a questionnaire but I did get a request for more info on which language, my current knowledge and a mini PS for Scandy. I have not heard anything since. Are there really only three of us out there?

Oh it's alright, I wrote something about Scandinavian literature in the end. Also, I'm sure there are way more applicants for our course. Any ideas when we'll get an answer?
Original post by *Hannah
French and Italian. You? Excited but slightly nervous about actually finding my way there. I'll probably be the one who wanders in half an hour late, having got lost on the tube somewhere..

Italian post-graduation or ab initio? :smile:
[QUOTE="Angelala;36556988"]
Original post by mariann013

Oh it's alright, I wrote something about Scandinavian literature in the end. Also, I'm sure there are way more applicants for our course. Any ideas when we'll get an answer?

No I haven't heard anything. I was over in England a couple of weeks ago and rang a couple of times saying I would like to visit the department but got no response.
Reply 93
[QUOTE="mariann013;36560020"]

No I haven't heard anything. I was over in England a couple of weeks ago and rang a couple of times saying I would like to visit the department but got no response.

oh that wasn't very helpful of them :/ hopefully we'll hear back soon! I really can't wait much longer. where are you from? :smile:
[QUOTE="Angelala;36570899"]
Original post by mariann013

oh that wasn't very helpful of them :/ hopefully we'll hear back soon! I really can't wait much longer. where are you from? :smile:

I live in Canada but I was born in the UK and my Dad is Norwegian hence the interest in Scandinavian Studies.
Reply 95
[QUOTE="mariann013;36570991"]

I live in Canada but I was born in the UK and my Dad is Norwegian hence the interest in Scandinavian Studies.

that's pretty cool! you know, I actually hope there are very few Scandy applicants, I'm getting nervous :frown:
Reply 96
I firmed UCL for French and German yesterday. :biggrin: Has anyone else put UCL as their top choice yet?
Reply 97
Original post by lowri
I firmed UCL for French and German yesterday. :biggrin: Has anyone else put UCL as their top choice yet?

I emailed them asking if they'd change my course to Spanish and Russian, if they do, I'm firming straight away! :biggrin:

Gemma just takes ages to reply to my emails! :tongue:
Original post by Gales
Gemma just takes ages to reply to my emails! :tongue:

She finally got back to me today about doing Danish. She says she's going to get in touch with the admissions tutors and get back to me.

I also confirmed my attendance today for next week's open day. Anyone else going? :smile:
Reply 99
Original post by SimplyComplex
She finally got back to me today about doing Danish. She says she's going to get in touch with the admissions tutors and get back to me.

I also confirmed my attendance today for next week's open day. Anyone else going? :smile:

Woo! You emailed a couple of days before me, so she'll hopefully reply to me soon! :biggrin:

Are you thinking of firming UCL? :smile:

Quick Reply