The Student Room Group

Paddy Power 'Tranquilize the chavs' Advert

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2107650/Paddy-Powers-Chav-Tranquilizer-YouTube-advert-shows-Cheltenham-Festival-louts-shot.html

Cheltenham race meeting is renowned for people of all classes mixing together drinking Guiness in tents without the divide evident at places like Royal Ascot.

I find it very distasteful.
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I don't know about the rest of the country but the sorts of people who pretty much live in bookies up in Liverpool are not exactly shining examples of middle-class prosperity.
Original post by Fusion
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2107650/Paddy-Powers-Chav-Tranquilizer-YouTube-advert-shows-Cheltenham-Festival-louts-shot.html

Cheltenham race meeting is renowned for people of all classes mixing together drinking Guiness in tents without the divide evident at places like Royal Ascot.

There's some truth to it. If I ever go to the races (not something I generally do) the last thing I'd want to see is some loudmouth chav that dresses like a tart and is so orange they wouldn't look out of place in a chocolate factory.
It's not really offensive, certainly not as offensive as the one that took the piss out of transgendered people.

Trans people face genuine discrimination in this country, chavs do not, they get the piss taken out of them due to their lifestyle choices.
Reply 4
Good, but I believe it should be a bullet instead. Keep these scum away from the racecourses at all costs.
Reply 5
What's wrong with you. HOW could you find this distasteful!
Reply 6
Original post by DdotT
What's wrong with you. HOW could you find this distasteful!

Maybe some of us find class based stereotypes completly redundant.

Just becuase some guy wears a fine suit with slick shoes and talks posh doesn't mean he isn't a complete *******
Reply 7
Original post by Fusion

Just becuase some guy wears a fine suit with slick shoes and talks posh doesn't mean he isn't a complete *******

Well i'm from working class (low working class) and i'm not a complete chav.
Same with all other classes, point is no one likes chavs and the advert simply wants roudy chavs to stay away.
Reply 8
I love how people make Chav issues class issues.

It's just not. There are plenty of working class people who are not Chavs. Hell, to even equate them is a grave insult to the working class. Your typical Chav is the underclass, and I would find it difficult to be indignant about poking fun at them.

Saying Chavs represent the working class is as ridiculous as saying people who wear suits represent the middle class.
Reply 9
someone doesn't have a sense of humour.

Why do you have to take this so seriously? Obviously meant as a joke and no one will find it offensive except those people that stay at home all day waiting for something mildly controversial to come on their TV screens just so they can complain, get over yourself and go worry about something important, you tool.
Reply 10
Original post by Fusion

C'm on get over yourself. It's hilarious not distasteful :biggrin:
It's not like chavs are a downtrodden minority or anything.
I found it funny as hell.
Reply 12
Original post by Dorito
someone doesn't have a sense of humour.

Why do you have to take this so seriously? Obviously meant as a joke and no one will find it offensive except those people that stay at home all day waiting for something mildly controversial to come on their TV screens just so they can complain, get over yourself and go worry about something important, you tool.

Research shows people who use terms like 'chav' are trying to compensate for low self esteem.

I worked with an Indian guy who labelled any whitey as a chav, I guess he was attempting to compensate for a small penis.
Reply 13
Original post by Fusion
Research shows people who use terms like 'chav' are trying to compensate for low self esteem.

I worked with an Indian guy who labelled any whitey as a chav, I guess he was attempting to compensate for a small penis.

cute.
The advert is meh, I don't care for it much but...

What is that guy doing on the ground with is fists? the guy is about to kick him in the nuts and he tries to defend his head :lolwut:
Original post by tehFrance
The advert is meh, I don't care for it much but...

What is that guy doing on the ground with is fists? the guy is about to kick him in the nuts and he tries to defend his head :lolwut:

Considering he's got a glass bottle in the other hand, protecting the head is probably the wise thing. No children or comatose'd? I'm pretty sure which one I'd want.
Reply 16
Original post by Fusion

You in Belgium what does it matter?
You've really come to the wrong place if you're seeking support against this :pierre:
Original post by turbocharged
It's not really offensive, certainly not as offensive as the one that took the piss out of transgendered people.

Trans people face genuine discrimination in this country, chavs do not, they get the piss taken out of them due to their lifestyle choices.

being trransgendered is a lifestyle choice. no one is born in that state, it is a chosen state.
i think, looking at the statistics, it is not a good choice: lots of depression in that community - i guess it comes from pretending to be what you're not ... has to mix up your mind.
Reply 19
what is it with classes and tsr?

Quick Reply

Latest