The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

Which LSE hall should I go to?

So apparently you have to apply for a hall to live in for the first year..
Can I get some opinions on the pros + cons of each hall please?

Bankside House
Butlers Wharf
Carr-Saunders Hall
Grosvenor House
High Holborn
Lilian Knowles
Northumberland House
Passfield Hall
Rosebery Hall
Sidney Webb House
University of London - Intercollegiate Residences

merci beaucoup :biggrin:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Do you have any idea as to which ones you'd potentially like to live in? Have you narrowed it down to any in particular? The most popular ones tend to be Rosebery, High Holborn, Passfield, etc. I know Butlers Wharf is quite far away from the school. Northumberland has a nice location near Trafalgar Square (have had a few rowing socials there). High Holborn is the most centrally located of halls for undergrads, while Grosvenor House is closer to the school, but is for postgrads. Pretty sure Lilian Knowles is privately owned, but I don't know much about it, and I also know nothing about Sidney Webb. Intercollegiate halls are really nice, International Hall, Connaught Hall, and College Hall are all within a 20 minute walk of LSE and are located near other LSE halls. If you like the idea of getting to know students from other UoL colleges, those are a good option.

With a broad question like that it's really hard to give good information. If you had anything specifically you'd like to know, I'm sure we could be of more help. :smile:
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Reply 2
Original post by avash27
Do you have any idea as to which ones you'd potentially like to live in? Have you narrowed it down to any in particular? The most popular ones tend to be Rosebery, High Holborn, Passfield, etc. I know Butlers Wharf is quite far away from the school. Northumberland has a nice location near Trafalgar Square (have had a few rowing socials there). High Holborn is the most centrally located of halls for undergrads, while Grosvenor House is closer to the school, but is for postgrads. Pretty sure Lilian Knowles is privately owned, but I don't know much about it, and I also know nothing about Sidney Webb. Intercollegiate halls are really nice, International Hall, Connaught Hall, and College Hall are all within a 20 minute walk of LSE and are located near other LSE halls. If you like the idea of getting to know students from other UoL colleges, those are a good option.

With a broad question like that it's really hard to give good information. If you had anything specifically you'd like to know, I'm sure we could be of more help. :smile:

Hmmm you're right.
I think my first question was too broad.

Well I guess I'm looking for a relatively social hall, that's not too far away from the school.
Close to good shops/nightlife.
Has a good common room/bar, maybe some organised activities?
Nice rooms, and working showers.

What do you think about High Holborn, Bankside, Carr-Saunders, and Rosebery?

I was also wondering whether any of the halls have any reputations (good or bad)?
e.g. which one is Gryffindor, and which one is Slytherin?

Reply 3
Social halls - the most social seem to be Rosebery, Passfield, Carr-Saunders
Close to good shops/nightlife - High Holborn is right next to Leicester Square, but ones like Passfield are closer to Camden Town so you get all those nightlife areas as well. The others are scattered in between and to the sides.
Has a good common room/bar, maybe some organized activities? - All halls have a common room, High Holborn has a really nice and big one with ping pong, pool, foosball, areas to sit down, a TV, etc. Our bar is not in operation though, but I think most other halls are basically the same way and their bars work. All halls also put together organized activities but those may differ (we recently had speed dating for V-Day, Passfield and Rosebery went out together a couple weeks ago in a joint venture type thing, etc)
Nice rooms, and working showers - The only place I've heard that has problems with its bathrooms is Passfield, but I think that's just a one-off thing for this year because some people are idiots. There tends to be a range of rooms in each hall, some have shared rooms, while the majority are single. They all seem to have a standard-ish size though and all have a sink, desk, etc.

I live at High Holborn, and it's alright. It's in a flat system which makes it harder to meet people but also it's nice to only have to share a bathroom with 3-4 other people. I've been lucky with my flatmates because they're all neat and clean up after themselves, while my other friends have not been so lucky. My room is the cheapest price band, but it works. Just not too much storage space so my clothes are often on the floor haha.
I don't know too much about Bankside, it's a larger hall but I've heard it's pretty good. It's on the other side of the river so the walk to LSE can be a trek but some people enjoy that. The location right near the river is nice too, and Southwark station is not too far if you ever need to catch the tube somewhere.
Carr-Saunders and Rosebery are kind of the same in that they are both smaller but very social halls. Carr-Saunders has a nice location in Fitzrovia, not too far from Passfield Hall and intercollegiate halls such as College and Connaught. Rosebery has a great location as well in Islington, and both are about 20-25 minutes away from LSE.

I don't think there are any with bad or good reputations exactly. You get people who love it and hate it in every hall, but you really just have to make the best of whichever one you're put in. Hope this helped :biggrin:
Reply 4
Passfield is the best by a mile.
Reply 5
Thanks guys..
I ended up applying for single in Bankside, CS, and then RB.

Hopefully I made the right choice.

Sorry Passfield haha
Reply 6
Hi, on the LSE website it says first year undergrads must expect to share a room at Passfield. If I want a single room and select this price band will I get it? Thanks.
Reply 7
Original post by Alpha5
Hi, on the LSE website it says first year undergrads must expect to share a room at Passfield. If I want a single room and select this price band will I get it? Thanks.

Nope. I selected a higher price band than what I ended up getting, and lots of people requested lower price bands than what they got. You can put down single room and hope that's what you get but in all reality if it says you should expect to share, then that is probably what will end up happening.
Original post by avash27

Hi Avash, when you say halls like Rosebery and Carr-Saunders are more social, what do you mean and why do you think so? Is it because they tend to be more of a party hall or is it the way people share facilities/ communal bathrooms etc?

Did you manage to become close friends with your flat mates at high holborn? Does it really feel like a cosy flat with friends or do people who share the same corridor tend to shut their doors most of the time?
Many thanks!
Reply 9
Original post by ladyliberty
Hi Avash, when you say halls like Rosebery and Carr-Saunders are more social, what do you mean and why do you think so? Is it because they tend to be more of a party hall or is it the way people share facilities/ communal bathrooms etc?

Did you manage to become close friends with your flat mates at high holborn? Does it really feel like a cosy flat with friends or do people who share the same corridor tend to shut their doors most of the time?
Many thanks!

Not really sure why, I think it's because they're smaller halls, share meals together, and therefore everyone gets to know each other.

Nah not really that close with my flatmates, they're nice and really friendly and we do hang out together but they're not my closest friends. However, I have friends in other flats so it's not like I have no friends in my hall haha :tongue: Lots of people are very close with their flatmates though so it's really luck of the draw. I'm in a corridor flat, so our doors lock automatically, so no one really is able to leave their doors open. However, in the actual flats where you need a key to access the block of rooms, people do leave their doors open.

Hope this helped! :smile:
Reply 10
whatever you choose but never pick bankside, the staff at bankside really sucks
Can anyone advice me between Roseberry and Carr Saunders ?
I just need to know which has the lower People:bathroom ratio and lower people:kitchen ratio thnx.
Also, are all intercollege halls close to LSE or are some too far ?
Reply 12
Original post by member910132
Can anyone advice me between Roseberry and Carr Saunders ?
I just need to know which has the lower People:bathroom ratio and lower people:kitchen ratio thnx.
Also, are all intercollege halls close to LSE or are some too far ?

both saunders and rosebery have similar ratios
saunders, approx 30 people to 11 showers and 6 toilets

some intercolegiate are near, some are close, you can look that up using the UoL accomodation website and google maps
Reply 13
HI. I was wondering what is the twin room in Holborn like? isit a room in a flat with 2 ppl?
Reply 14
hi, does anyone know which hall has twin rooms with the most space? i've got a passfield shared but the price is on the high side.

though it seems like the prettiest hall by far...
Reply 15
Original post by avash27
Not really sure why, I think it's because they're smaller halls, share meals together, and therefore everyone gets to know each other.

Nah not really that close with my flatmates, they're nice and really friendly and we do hang out together but they're not my closest friends. However, I have friends in other flats so it's not like I have no friends in my hall haha :tongue: Lots of people are very close with their flatmates though so it's really luck of the draw. I'm in a corridor flat, so our doors lock automatically, so no one really is able to leave their doors open. However, in the actual flats where you need a key to access the block of rooms, people do leave their doors open.

Hope this helped! :smile:
hi there, I heard that HH doesn't have very soundproof walls so you can hear everything outside of your room. is this true in your experience, and are most people from HH international? are the en suites considerably better than single rooms in HH? I am considering Northumberland, bankside and high holborn, and deciding between Northumberland and HH as my first choice. I care more about the rooms, the social life and location. I am not too fussy on price because all the ones I picked have a similar price range. please let me know your thoughts, and thank you in advance.
Reply 16
Original post by ida3388
hi there, I heard that HH doesn't have very soundproof walls so you can hear everything outside of your room. is this true in your experience, and are most people from HH international? are the en suites considerably better than single rooms in HH? I am considering Northumberland, bankside and high holborn, and deciding between Northumberland and HH as my first choice. I care more about the rooms, the social life and location. I am not too fussy on price because all the ones I picked have a similar price range. please let me know your thoughts, and thank you in advance.

Erm, It's been 2 years since I've lived there so I can't entirely remember, but I think it was usually alright. You can hear stuff now and then but it's not awfully loud. A majority of people were international, but a lot of people were home students and had a perfectly good experience. I have no idea about en suites, I shared a bathroom with the others in my flat. The location is really good, and I've heard the social life has generally gotten better as they now have an open bar (which they didn't when I lived there).
Reply 17
Original post by avash27
Erm, It's been 2 years since I've lived there so I can't entirely remember, but I think it was usually alright. You can hear stuff now and then but it's not awfully loud. A majority of people were international, but a lot of people were home students and had a perfectly good experience. I have no idea about en suites, I shared a bathroom with the others in my flat. The location is really good, and I've heard the social life has generally gotten better as they now have an open bar (which they didn't when I lived there).
thanks for your reply. Must have been weird to have someone quote your post from a couple years ago. Where are you now? Are you at grad school in America seeing you are from Connecticut?
I just received my offer for northumberland house. I am an entering undergrad but ive heard northumberland has a lot of post grads and hence is not social at all. Any advice?
I am a current undergrad at Rosebery. Rosebery is great because of the way the floor plan is laid out. There is a common corridor in which You will definitely be bumping into your neighbours very often so it is easy to become friends with them. Rosebery is about a 20-25minutes walk to school. It is a pretty nice walk. The great thing about Rosebery, other than it being social, is the area around it. Rosebery is situated in Angel, which is a really nice area. There are 3 supermarkets (2 Sainsburys and Budgens) which are within 3-7minutes away. Exmouth market which opens during lunchtime on weekdays offers great food at decent prices.

Really enjoyed my time in Rosebery this year and it is a shame I cannot come back next year. :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending