The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1080
Original post by JK29
what section of the anthology did you do?

Relationships... Edexcel has ruined love poetry for me forever. :rolleyes:
Original post by Paramore<3

we're doing character and voice with aqa...save me now
Reply 1082
Guys, should I drop French? If I did I would have 9 GCSE Subjects left. I've already dropped Music because I hated it and quite frankly rubbish at it as well. So I need some opinions. Would dropping 2 GCSE's make me look incompetent? Is 9 GCSE's enough? ( and believe me I am much more confident about the other subjects and know I'll get good strong passes )
Original post by Koolio
Guys, should I drop French? If I did I would have 9 GCSE Subjects left. I've already dropped Music because I hated it and quite frankly rubbish at it as well. So I need some opinions. Would dropping 2 GCSE's make me look incompetent? Is 9 GCSE's enough? ( and believe me I am much more confident about the other subjects and know I'll get good strong passes )

Unless you are failing or d/c boundaries i wouldn't, although 9 GCSEs is a good number so you wouldn't be missing out.

Have you done any controlled assesments yet? For basically a memorisation test they are worth a fair amount.

Can't really help you though- have you spoken to your teacher about it?

P.s i don't think people looking at application/grade sheets can see if you dropped one if you haven't done any external exams for it? However i stand to be corrected :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1084
Original post by burgerrr
Unless you are failing or d/c boundaries i wouldn't, although 9 GCSEs is a good number so you wouldn't be missing out.

Have you done any controlled assesments yet? For basically a memorisation test they are worth a fair amount.

Can't really help you though- have you spoken to your teacher about it?

P.s i don't think people looking at application/grade sheets can see if you dropped one if you haven't done any external exams for it? However i stand to be corrected :smile:

Thanks,

So far I've done only controlled assessments and I've got 2 C's. The listening and reading tests ( the BIG ones ) is yet to come, I think it's in June. I did a mock for them back in Nov and failed horribly. So no external exams yet.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Koolio
So far I've done only controlled assessments and I've got 2 C's. The listening and reading tests ( the BIG ones ) is yet to come, I think it's in June. I did a mock for them back in Nov and failed horribly. So no external exams yet.

For AQA listening and reading count for 40%
Reply 1086
Original post by mkhan01
Is anyone here doing IGCSE Cambridge English Lang and Lit? Does anyone have any tips for English Lit? Thanks :smile:

I am. Which texts are you studying? Much ado about Nothing, The Great Gatsby and Songs of ourselves anthology is what I'm doing.
Reply 1087
Original post by science-oliver
sorry couldn't put the accent on the i as i was thinking of night club for boite?

can you give me 10 ak2109 and i'll give you 10 in return?

10 what? Oh and night club, you mean boite de nuit (accent on i of boite)
10 what? Oh and night club, you mean boite de nuit (accent on i of boite)

10 words/ verbs for practice :smile:
Original post by multiplexing-gamer

What is UNIQ? (Am I being really thick by not knowing this)
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by JK29
what section of the anthology did you do?

i'm doing conflict from the AQA anthology
my teacher says to write essays looking at the anthology first and then use clean copies of the poems and annotate them and write essays in timed conditions.
not looking forward to it :/
Original post by GreenLantern1

i believe it's the summer school thing that happens at oxford.

Its like the thing where you apply in year 12 for a subject. In your case Maths, and you go to Oxford University for a week to do like a taster in Maths. But not everyone gets in, its quite competitive.
Its like the thing where you apply in year 12 for a subject. In your case Maths, and you go to Oxford University for a week to do like a taster in Maths. But not everyone gets in, its quite competitive.

Oh ok then. Might go to that; do a cambridge have a version? Are you going to go?
Oh ok then. Might go to that; do a cambridge have a version? Are you going to go?

They do but it's with a charity called 'sutton trust' and I think they favour people whos parents haven't gone to uni.

Do you go to a state school?

its aimed at year 12's i believe
They do but it's with a charity called 'sutton trust' and I think they favour people whos parents haven't gone to uni.

Do you go to a state school?

Yeah I go to a state school. But it is a selective state school; a grammar school.

EDIT: My dad went to uni, but my mum didn't: so would i not really qualify then.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Paramore<3

As if! I'm doing this exam in the summer but we haven't even started the unit yet, we're just finishing off the controlled assessment unit.

Do you have any tips for me to get high marks in the exam? :biggrin:
AQA science exam taken in Jan 12 just got our results. I did really bad. I got an E! However, in all 5 test papers I got great Cs. In my ISA I got A*. In my Physics exam, which is worth 50% of my overal grade, (Biology and Chemistry exams both worth 25% each will be taken in May). I have been told that adding my ISA and my exam grade together I come out with a C. I want to resit it but my teacher says there is too much pressure from other exams to do this. This causes me distress as I now have to get good Cs in both Biology and Chemistry to get an overall grade of a C. Does anyone know the rule on retakes and can I actually resit the physics exam?
Reply 1099
Original post by thisisjokes
As if! I'm doing this exam in the summer but we haven't even started the unit yet, we're just finishing off the controlled assessment unit.

Do you have any tips for me to get high marks in the exam? :biggrin:

Ooh, good luck! I thought we had a really hard paper this time, but it couldn't have been too bad! 4 people in my year got full marks. :redface:

Um, I would say read the poems to death. Honestly, my anthology is so battered and bruised... because the anthology section should be the easiest to score highly on, as you know what's coming up!
Try and do lots of practice essays and get your teacher to mark them. The first question in the paper will be on an unseen poem, so that is actually quite hard to revise for, but basically be able to use and recognize language devices naturally, and then hopefully you'll be able to spot them. To be honest, you only really need to be able to talk about 3 or 4 devices per poem, but *really* talk about them.

Hope that's helpful! :smile:

Latest