The Student Room Group

AQA A2 BIOL5 22nd June 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by NinjaRikki
Everyone, just want to ask a question. You know the microscope question, there seems to be answers of either magnification 3046 or 30455.

I personally put 30455, because one sarcomere= 6.7cm = 67mm = 67000micrometres.

Hence magnification = 67000/2.2 = 30455 as enlargement divided by actual.

Therefore, isnt this the right answer?

i got 6.6cm so mag was 30000 exactly for me, but not sure what range will be on the actual MS
Original post by Picture~Perfect
I was so tempted to add that into my shapes essay XD

lolll legendary.... I wrote about enzymes ( absolutely raped that topic) and also found my self talking about DNA- how the bases fit together- A only bonds with T and G only bonds with C and that the structure of DNA gives it stability, strength, etc and how important it is to be uncorrupted. Tbh I think I ran out of ideas, expecting about 16-17 out of 25...but couldn't really come up with much more interesting things... What else did you write about?
Original post by Yosemite80
would i lose a lot pf marks on the bacteria essay if i talked about

carbon cycle
nitrogen cycle, mutualistic and free-living bacteria, farmers growing legumes to replenish soil nitrogen
in vivo gene cloning and touched on fermenter usage
horizontal gene transmission and antibiotic resistance if you let bacteria with resistant genes escape from your gene cloning
cholera, effect, consequence and treatment
lactose intolerance and its humorous but serious effects
ruminants like cows and sheep and mutualistic relationship with bacteria in stomach
wrote a sentence mentioning mrsa and other bacterial diseases and talked briefly about mrsa being a superbug since it's resistant to methicillin which is a very strong antibiotic

tuberculosis, method of transmission BUT mixed it up with fibrosis when i talked about how it affects lungs, and i forgot to mention eutrophication completely...

im quite nervous about results of this exam because aqa makes unpredictable mark schemes and I need an A in this paper at the very least :frown:

why would you lose marks? what else can you seriously but i put exactly the same but i chose 3/4 areas like TB Cholera but expanded my points on them rather then trying to include loads of different little points! :smile:
Original post by raveen789
why would you lose marks? what else can you seriously but i put exactly the same but i chose 3/4 areas like TB Cholera but expanded my points on them rather then trying to include loads of different little points! :smile:

im definitely going to lose some marks for tb/fibrosis mixup though lol but hopefully it wont be disastrous
Original post by nmudz_009
lolll legendary.... I wrote about enzymes ( absolutely raped that topic) and also found my self talking about DNA- how the bases fit together- A only bonds with T and G only bonds with C and that the structure of DNA gives it stability, strength, etc and how important it is to be uncorrupted. Tbh I think I ran out of ideas, expecting about 16-17 out of 25...but couldn't really come up with much more interesting things... What else did you write about?

I wrote about proteins, how they are formed from amino acids and how the amine group of one amino acid joins to the carboxyl group of another and I drew an amino acids (chemical structure). I then wrote about enzymes and gave an example. I went on to talk about photosynthesis, I know this seems weird but I could remember it so I went with it. I mentioned how in the light dependent reaction when the carrier enzyme takes up electrons they're shapes must fit. Then I mentioned the light dependent reaction and drew the Calvin cycle and mentioned how carbon dioxide fits with ribulose biphosphate due to their shapes etc. Then I mentioned muscle contraction in animals and topped it with active transport both in animals i.e establishing a resting potential and in plants when they draw ions up form the soil. I'm hoping for about 20-22 marks. *fingers crossed*
Original post by Picture~Perfect
I wrote about proteins, how they are formed from amino acids and how the amine group of one amino acid joins to the carboxyl group of another and I drew an amino acids (chemical structure). I then wrote about enzymes and gave an example. I went on to talk about photosynthesis, I know this seems weird but I could remember it so I went with it. I mentioned how in the light dependent reaction when the carrier enzyme takes up electrons they're shapes must fit. Then I mentioned the light dependent reaction and drew the Calvin cycle and mentioned how carbon dioxide fits with ribulose biphosphate due to their shapes etc. Then I mentioned muscle contraction in animals and topped it with active transport both in animals i.e establishing a resting potential and in plants when they draw ions up form the soil. I'm hoping for about 20-22 marks. *fingers crossed*

ouchhh... I cant believe I forgot muscle contraction...instead I stayed with enzymes and tried to apply that to as many scenarios as I could, so although I talked about the krebs cycle- I talked about the enzymes involved in it and how they must be a specific shape... and how they're needed to make pyruvate.
Original post by nmudz_009
ouchhh... I cant believe I forgot muscle contraction...instead I stayed with enzymes and tried to apply that to as many scenarios as I could, so although I talked about the krebs cycle- I talked about the enzymes involved in it and how they must be a specific shape... and how they're needed to make pyruvate.

That makes sense, the only reason I managed to cover so many topics is because I memorised three different essays that I'd written in preparation and although none of the titles came up I was able to write bits and pieces from each essay :smile:

Best of luck with your results :smile:
Reply 3547
I personally wrote five sides for the shapes essay.

I was proud of that considering that my practise essays usually made 3 sides tops in 40 minutes. I gave myself 35 minutes for this one. D: Thought I was well screwed.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3548
For the bacteria essay, would talking about these topics, in a lot of detail, and relating a lot to the title be enough to get high marks?

Unit 1: TB
Unit 1: Cholera
Unit 4: Nitrogen Cycle
Unit 5: In Vivo Gene Cloning

I also had Antibiotic Resistance in my plan but didnt include it in the essay.

Thanks.
Original post by najd5
For the bacteria essay, would talking about these topics, in a lot of detail, and relating a lot to the title be enough to get high marks?

Unit 1: TB
Unit 1: Cholera
Unit 4: Nitrogen Cycle
Unit 5: In Vivo Gene Cloning

I also had Antibiotic Resistance in my plan but didnt include it in the essay.

Thanks.

I did exactly the same as you! i mean exactly the same! same topics discussed in detail with antibiotic resistance in plan. I think we should do fine because remember its 3 marks for breadth of knowledge they won't like it if we do loads of topics but in little detail because its 16 for scientific content and accuracy so that covers detail ect! So hopefully I think its fine :smile:
Reply 3550
Original post by raveen789
I did exactly the same as you! i mean exactly the same! same topics discussed in detail with antibiotic resistance in plan. I think we should do fine because remember its 3 marks for breadth of knowledge they won't like it if we do loads of topics but in little detail because its 16 for scientific content and accuracy so that covers detail ect! So hopefully I think its fine :smile:

Hopefully yeah! we'll find out in a couple of months :P i'm not feeling nervous already at all.
Reply 3551
With luck, I think I've got around 65-70 marks in this paper, which would have been an A last year, but a lot of people seem to think the boundary will probably move up this time. Do you think it'll go above 70? :redface: :frown: I really need at least a high B in this and I'm really worried that I'll have missed out.
Original post by Escapade
With luck, I think I've got around 65-70 marks in this paper, which would have been an A last year, but a lot of people seem to think the boundary will probably move up this time. Do you think it'll go above 70? :redface: :frown: I really need at least a high B in this and I'm really worried that I'll have missed out.

I don't really see it going above 70, seeing as the lowest was 63 and highest 65. However, i do think it could be slightly higher than previous years (maybe 66-68? random guess :P)
Reply 3553
Original post by marijuana
I don't really see it going above 70, seeing as the lowest was 63 and highest 65. However, i do think it could be slightly higher than previous years (maybe 66-68? random guess :P)
I really hope so! I honestly don't think the essay questions were any easier this year, but I guess people will always be more prepared each year.
Reply 3554
anyone got a link to the paper?
Reply 3555
Original post by turank
anyone got a link to the paper?

https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=518dbdd4f043877a&resid=518DBDD4F043877A!200&id=518DBDD4F043877A%21200

It's been a while since the paper though!
I know it was ages ago, but I was just mulling over the essay questions. Is it possible to write a high mark, credible essay for either question? Or, is one of them seen as the easy option taken by less-able candidates?
For the shapes essay question, i didn't really talk about shapes in organisms,just general stuff like enzymes and dna stuff,which is used in organisms. Do you think it'll matter if you didn't specifically talk about shapes in cells and organisms?

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-I9100
does any one have a copy of the Official Mark scheme....I think it has been released
70/100 for an A

:angry:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending