The Student Room Group

List of Universities and their entrance requirements

Hi

Is there a list of Universities and their entrance requirements by subject.
I am sure I have seen something like this but can't remember where.

Basically I want to look down a list so that I can see all the Universities that ask for AAA, ABB or ABC. Hope this makes sense.

Many thanks

oops sorry meant to say I am looking for Mathematics.

Scroll to see replies

http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings?s=Mathematics

The league table generally gives a clear indication of how high the grade requirements are.
Reply 2
UCAS website has all the university entry requirements by subject. If you just want to get a profile view of the university, Guardian education and Times university rankings would be a good start.
Reply 3
http://www.amazon.co.uk/HEAP-2012-University-essential-university/dp/1844554198 I used this book - your college/ school might have it in stock, mine did :smile:
Reply 5

Thank you all, the above is the one that I had stumbled across recently. However, when I looked this time I discovered how to use a find function on my iPad. Brilliant didn't even realise the facility was available.:smile:
Original post by Nervous Mum
Hi

Is there a list of Universities and their entrance requirements by subject.
I am sure I have seen something like this but can't remember where.

Basically I want to look down a list so that I can see all the Universities that ask for AAA, ABB or ABC. Hope this makes sense.

Many thanks

oops sorry meant to say I am looking for Mathematics.

Hi there. Please don't take this the wrong way, but I'm writing as a sixth form tutor here as well as a parent who's gone through this sort of thing twice myself with my own children. By all means find out the sources of information and have a look for yourself out of interest, but it's really your son/daughter who should be doing this. You can lead a horse to water, etc! Feel free to message me if I can help.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by carnationlilyrose
Hi there. Please don't take this the wrong way, but I'm writing as a sixth form tutor here as well as a parent who's gone through this sort of thing twice myself with my own children. By all means find out the sources of information and have a look for yourself out of interest, but it's really your son/daughter who should be doing this. You can lead a horse to water, etc! Feel free to message me if I can help.

No offence taken.

He is involved in the process but having never been to University myself I am trying to find out information about the process as well so I understand what he is talking about.
Reply 8
Having perused the list on Student Room, can someone please explain why some Universities have UCAS points as entry requirements and some require AAB etc
Thanks
Reply 9
Having perused the list on Student Room, can someone please explain why some Universities have UCAS points as entry requirements and some require AAB etc
Thanks

UCAS points can take into account things such as your 4th AS Level, any music grades beyond a certain level, General Studies and a lot other things. Full list here if you want to look at them.

Some universities don't really care about these as they feel your academic potential for the course is proven by the grades you get in the 3 A Levels you sit and those alone.

It's a very broad generalisation, but usually it's the more highly competitive universities that make offers based on 3 A Level grades rather than UCAS points.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 10
Thanks
Reply 11
Thanks

I answered this one in my post above :smile:
Reply 12
Original post by roh
I answered this one in my post above :smile:

Hmm yes, I had a bad connection tonight and I somehow managed to post it twice, oh well. :smile:
Reply 13
Hmm yes, I had a bad connection tonight and I somehow managed to post it twice, oh well. :smile:

It's OK. Don't worry too much about the UCAS points thing if your son is applying for courses at universities in the Russell Group and similar. If he's applying to a mix of those and less competitive unis he may have his Insurance offer expressed in points whilst his Firm is in grades.

Eg. for Law:

Firm: Durham University, A*AA excluding General Studies.

Insurance: University of Northumbria, 320 UCAS points.

For certain courses, such as Medicine, nowhere will make an offer based on UCAS points.

Plenty of people rack up UCAS points they don't use. For example Cambridge Mathmos arrived with an average UCAS points of 598 last year, when the offer is A*AA (plus STEP) which only equals 380 UCAS points.

I'm a parent going through this now and again next year. please don't listen to this sort of thing. Of course your child has to make the decisions themselves but most parents are also quite involved in helping with the research. If your child has siblings who have been through the process they know the ropes. If not they will probably need someone to explain that getting in to certain universities requires more than 3 A grades. Maths is a very competitive subject and your teenager may need to do STEPS exams. It aslo helps to have done other things that show interest beyond the curriculum.

Although I find this website helpful I'd also have to say that sometimes information is not fully up-to-date. Any guide you use here needs to be checked any university websites and ideally double-checked on an open day.

The UCAS website is a good place to start. If you want to post a bit of information e.g. subjects being studies, grades to date, we might be able to suggest what type of university to consider.

In addition to looking at the courses and grade requirements your child needs to consider what type of environment they like - e.g. some universities are "city" universities and some are campus universities. Campus universities have a slightly different feel to them. Some universities e.g. birmingham have characteristics of both. if they are keen on sport some have better sports facilities - Bath university has amazing facilities and a high Maths standard.

Do not rely on their school, so called "good" schools can be very poor on advice.
Original post by parentlurker
please don't listen to this sort of thing.

This is poor advice as carnationlily is spot on with her advice to facilitate your child rather than doing this for them

Do not rely on their school, so called "good" schools can be very poor on advice.

Luckily the school in question is very proactive

I thought the rest of ParentLurker's comment was good ... especially about ensuring your child checks the up-to-date info on the university website and UCAS
Original post by TenOfThem
This is poor advice as carnationlily is spot on with her advice to facilitate your child rather than doing this for them

When I were a lass, you got the UCAS handbook and a paper form and were left to it. Made me the woman I am today.:colone:
When I were a lass, you got the UCAS handbook and a paper form and were left to it. Made me the woman I am today.:colone:

Me too
:biggrin:
Original post by TenOfThem
Me too
:biggrin:

And we were charged £3.50 for the handbook, iirc.
And we were charged £3.50 for the handbook, iirc.

I was going to pretend that mine was LSD but I am not quite that old

I recall the form being green

Quick Reply

Latest