The Student Room Group

The most racist country in the world?

I've have been to a number of different countries and personally I think certain parts of the UK have been the most racist.

Being asian I have experienced hostility from the majority from a young age. When I was a kid I lived in a little white trash village near leeds where although I was accepted I was still treated differently. Some of the kids treated me a different way while the teachers all used to patronise me to the extreme.

I live in a much more diverse part of manchester now so I experience virtually nothing like that now.

But I have been all around the UK, all the major cities in england are fine but I have experienced hostility when I go camping or surfing around devon and certain parts of cornwall but buy far the worst was when I went to Scotalnd. Edinburgh was particularly bad, where I was called a 'paki' to my face twice when I went on nights out. Second time I had had enough I was in a bar and luckily I had a few drinks so when he confronted me I just smashed a glass in his face and got the hell outta their. In my mind we were even - he verbally assaulted me so I assaulted him back. He had it coming anyway, you can just picture the type - chavvy, arrogant, skinhead...he deserved it imo.

Apart from that I have been to spain, amsterdam, saudi arabia, pakistan where I have felt at home and never experienced any form of discrimination.

I have also been to hawaii, the natives there are very hostile towards outsiders, specifically whites who they call 'haole', but because i am brown they were generally cool with me. Apparently a lot of places there is hell for caucasians, esp. americans. Not that I think it's ok to treat others differently. Racism of any form is bad.

Anyone else had any experiences?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Lyoto Machida
I've have been to a number of different countries and personally I think certain parts of the UK have been the most racist.

Being asian I have experienced hostility from the majoirty from a young age. When I was a kid I lived in a little white trash village near leeds .......

Maybe yes, parts of Britain are racist, that I'm neither agreeing nor disagreeing with. What annoys me about racism is comments like this
Reply 2
lol you make interesting threads, don't you?
Reply 3
Lyoto Machida
far the worst was when I went to Scotalnd. Edinburgh was particularly bad, where I was called a 'paki' to my face twice when I went on nights out. Second time I had had enough I was in a bar and luckily I had a few drinks so when he confronted me I just smashed a glass in his face and got the hell outta their. In my mind we were even - he verbally assaulted me so I assaulted him back. He had it coming anyway, you can just picture the type - chavvy, arrogant, skinhead...he deserved it imo.

Similarly with this
the isle of man!

the founders of a kkk facebook group

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/article2406544.ece?OTC-RSS&ATTR=News

wow am i proud to be manx!
Id probably say the country 'Niger'.
Spain
Lyoto Machida

Being asian I have experienced hostility from the majoirty from a young age. When I was a kid I lived in a little white trash village near leeds where although I was accepted I was still treated differently. Some of the kids treated me a different way while the teachers all used to patronise me to the extreme.

I lived in a much more diverse part of manchester now so I experience vitrually nothing like that now.

But I have been all around the UK, all the major cities in england are fine but I have experienced hostility when I go camping or surfing around devon and certain parts of cornwal but buy far the worst was when I went to Scotalnd. Edinburgh was particularly bad, where I was called a 'paki' to my face twice when I went on nights out. Second time I had had enough I was in a bar and luckily I had a few drinks so when he confronted me I just smashed a glass in his face and got the hell outta their. In my mind we were even - he verbally assaulted me so I assaulted him back. He had it coming anyway, you can just picture the type - chavvy, arrogant, skinhead...he deserved it imo.

Apart from that I have been to spain, amsterdam, saudi arabia, pakistan where I have felt at home and never experienced any form of discrimination.

I have also been to hawaii, the natives there are very hostile towards outsiders, specifically whites who they call 'haole', but because i am brown they were generally cool with me. Apparently a lot of places there is hell for caucasians, esp. americans. Not that I think it's ok to treat others differently. Racism of any form is bad.

Anyone else had any experiences?

Isn't that a racist expression?
Reply 8
Erm hmmm

I have never experienced racism in the UK well not obvious racism anyway and I am a black female. I live in a nice part of London though so maybe that has got something to do with it.

However I also went to an all white boarding school in Yorkshire and still didnt get racism. My cousins went to pretty white boarding schools too (male and female) and nothing

However from what I have heard from friends parts of Oz (yes they are still in the dark ages) are racist

In my opinion though the white South Africans primarily the Afrikaners have a long way to go in terms of race relations. So it is more a group of people than an entire country in my opinion
Reply 9
Remove racist post.
Reply 10
edited - thanks acalia.
Apparently Japan is one of the most xenophobic countries
Reply 12
Australia is by far the most racist country in the world. I used to think that Italy was racist but it was only their airline alitalia.

then korea
Rokit
Erm hmmm

I have never experienced racism in the UK well not obvious racism anyway and I am a black female. I live in a nice part of London though so maybe that has got something to do with it.

However I also went to an all white boarding school in Yorkshire and still didnt get racism. My cousins went to pretty white boarding schools too (male and female) and nothing

However from what I have heard from friends parts of Oz (yes they are still in the dark ages) are racist

In my opinion though the white South Africans primarily the Afrikaners have a long way to go in terms of race relations. So it is more a group of people than an entire country in my opinion

:confused:

Also, 'all white boarding school', so it was a rule?!
Reply 14
let me type this very slowly
EVERY COUNTRY IS RACIST.
end of, the only reason you dont like it here is because its against you.
Having been to Scotland many a time to visit family, I have been subjected to the odd foul term or dirty look for being English. Then they often try to pass it off as a joke.
I remember one time I was in a bar with my Scottish cousin and his friend said "So you're from England?" I replied "Yeah", to which he then said "Feckin' English".
India, where we hate other Indians.
Reply 17
being verbally assault doesn't warrant a physical assault back, if anything you acted worse than that guy did and you should have just ignored him or asked a bouncer/bar staff to kick him out.
Reply 18
bete noire
Apparently Japan is one of the most xenophobic countries

Japanese people are actually alright. Just extremely xenophobic but they lack that deep seated racism
Reply 19
Why is everyone saying Spain? Sure, there's racism existent there, surely Italy is much more racist? They do Nazi salutes at football games, for chrissake.

Although there's far more racist parts of this world. Africa's a hotbed of racism with different groups murdering each other all over the place; Rwanda, South Africa and Zimbabwe spring to mind. Let's also not forget Israel and a fair proportion of the Middle East.