The Student Room Group

Knocking sound when driving over bumps.

When I drive over bumps/uneven road my car is making a knocking sound. The noise sounds like it is coming from the passenger side at the front of the car.

I'm getting it looked at tomorrow, but any ideas what it could be? The exhaust is a bit loose I think but I don't see that it would be causing this noise?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
something_vague
When I drive over bumps/uneven road my car is making a knocking sound. The noise sounds like it is coming from the passenger side at the front of the car.

I'm getting it looked at tomorrow, but any ideas what it could be? The exhaust is a bit loose I think but I don't see that it would be causing this noise?

what car?
1998 ford ka..
hehehe, I use to have a r reg Ka, girl it gave me soo many problems, i think its the exhuast, does it also happen when you reverse the car?
Reply 4
something_vague
1998 ford ka..

and therein lies your problem
Nope, just over bumpy ground, it kind of knocks twice going over bumps.

I hope it is just the exhaust bracket or something, the exhaust does wobble if I move it. There is no noise when I'm drive on a smooth stretch of road?
something_vague
Nope, just over bumpy ground, it kind of knocks twice going over bumps.

I hope it is just the exhaust bracket or something, the exhaust does wobble if I move it. There is no noise when I'm drive on a smooth stretch of road?

Dont worry, I think its the exhuast that needs welding... I love ford Ka's, my 1st car i brought, haha although the girls use to laugh at me for having one
Reply 7
something_vague

almost certainly
Ohh thanks, if it is the exhaust that needs sorting should the garage be able to sort it tomorrow when I take it in? Would the exhaust rattling really sound like its coming from the front of the underneath of the car?

Sorry I don't know the first thing about cars, I just really need the car for tomorrow afternoon and I don't want to carry on driving with it like that and then like, die or something..
Reply 10
Most likely the exhaust.
Reply 11
something_vague
Ohh thanks, if it is the exhaust that needs sorting should the garage be able to sort it tomorrow when I take it in? Would the exhaust rattling really sound like its coming from the front of the underneath of the car?

Sorry I don't know the first thing about cars, I just really need the car for tomorrow afternoon and I don't want to carry on driving with it like that and then like, die or something..

The exhaust runs from the front to the back of the car. Providing that you take it in early on and the garage can get the relevant part delivered from their supplier it shouldn't take too long to sort it. Moat garages can get parts from their supplier in around an hour depending on what sort of set up they have. They might be able to solve it by welding it, but will most probably offer to replace the part in question. If they're rather unscrupulous they may even say the whole exhaust needs replacing, but that just depends on how reliable the garage is.
Reply 12
I wouldnt worry too much, if it falls off at least it wont knock any more.
Reply 13
Sounds more like a suspension/steering issue than exhaust, based on previous experience. I can't remember exactly the parts that failed but my mum had a virtually identical problem on her similarly-aged Ka, albeit quite a few years ago. Unfortunately, it cost more to fix than an exhaust bracket, but wasn't overly expensive. Couple of hundred at most, I think.
I've tried to have a look underneath and the exhaust is a bit loose from the back end of the car, but not the front where the noise is coming from.

I'm not worried about money I'm just worried about when it will be sorted by :frown: Like by tomorrow afternoon....ahh.

After a bit of googling apparently it could be the anti-roll bar bushes? I have NO idea what that is, does anyone else? If yes is this a quick fix issue??

Thanks for all your help so far :smile:
I had a focus a while ago and the rear suspension was knocking over bumps. It was the suspension mounts/bushings. Pretty cheap to replace. VERY cheap if you do it yourself.

Edit: almost all bushings are Nylon/some kind of plastic, so theyre cheap
Ahh so that's something that could be done at the garage the same day I take the car in? Is it dangerous to drive how it is if it is that problem?
As long as you dont drive it hard, it shouldnt be a problem. Its a quick fix if they have the part in stock

btw, here is a picture to illustrate:

The stabiliser (anti roll) bar is the horizontal black bar in the picture. The bushing is that black rubbery connector inside the metal housing in the middle of the picture
So it like, cushions the suspension? thanks for your help :smile:

I took the car to the garage to get 4 new tyres and the allignment done the other day, and the knocking noise has been worse since then.....may just be a coincidence? I'm taking the car to the garage at 9am tomorrow anyway. If it is that and they don't have the part in, I guess I can just drive it as it is until saturday when I don't need the car? but if they tell my dad it isn't roadworthy or something he isn't going to let me drive it away, ahh.
something_vague

Ball joint in the passenger side front suspension.

Quick Reply

Latest