The Student Room Group

A2 - ENGLISH LANGUAGE - AQA B. Past Exam papers?

Does anyone know where I can find any past exam papers on BOTH Language change and Children language acquisition?

I've looked on the AQA website but cant seem to find much tbh. any help?
Reply 1
Try www.freeexampapers.com and searching for the section on English Language - there is loads on there :smile:
I really hate to say this.. But it's a brand new exam so there aren't any proper past papers for it yet. We're Guinea pigs. I'm doing the same exam on Thursday.
Child Language Acquisition and Language Change.

My teachers gave me some materials that seem kindof helpful. Unfortunately were kind of on our own :/
Good luck, man.
However,
http://store.aqa.org.uk/qual/gce/pdf/AQA-ENGB3-W-SQP-07.PDF
That's a spec paper. So not an actual past paper.

and this is the booklet for it:
http://store.aqa.org.uk/qual/gce/pdf/AQA-ENGB3-W-SQP-DB-07.PDF
Reply 4
Hey Im doing this exam aswell. I got a question... for the child language acquisition part will there always be one question on child speech? because if thats the case then I dont want to waste time and revise for reading and writing if I know that I want to do the speech question.
Aliyah123
Hey Im doing this exam aswell. I got a question... for the child language acquisition part will there always be one question on child speech? because if thats the case then I dont want to waste time and revise for reading and writing if I know that I want to do the speech question.

There should be, but I'd revise reading and writing anyway, just in case the text for speech is rubbish. Some people at my school last year only revised gender and that text wasn't great.
Aliyah123

I'm concentrating on speech. There's more to say and even if it is hard if you really concentrate on it then you'll have a lot to say and probably be rewarded with more marks for doing the harder question.

I'm just not sure how exactly to revise Language Change? It's so much more difficult. At least CLA has theorists and concepts to learn. LC doesn't seem to. :frown:
Reply 7
^^for revising language change - don't basically! it's all about the context, just blag about how any little detail of language has been influenced by the context. as long as you know the basic stuff like standardisation etc and analyse it through the frameworks it will be absolutely fine.
Reply 8
although for language change it is useful to know the stuff about lexical and semantic change e.g. borrowing, compounding, affixing etc and amilioration, pejoration etc. just too like bumph up the lexis and semantics paragraphs..
Reply 9
absolutely, just find examples of each if relevant. language change will be fine, but im dreading acquisition!
Reply 10
Best way of revision for me is to get transcripts of kids speaking, and then just analyse it. Get used to seeing patterns and then apply the relevant theories to the data.

And for all the people saying how it's all context in the Language Change, it isn't.

AO1 and AO2 are worth double the marks of AO3, so make sure you get your linguistic features as well as theories (Fairclough's Synthetic Personalisation and Katz's Uses and Gratifications theory are two which you will probably be able to apply and gain some marks).

Hope this helps somewhat.
I'm glad I'm not the only one having trouble revising this exam....

For CLA, I've only really concentrated on theories/theorists and some linguistic terminology for speech.
As for Change, I just can't get into it...

Revising for this has just been a bitch...
Reply 12
I've never been taught any theories for Language Change :/ I can just about remember Skinner, Vygotsky etc for Acquisition, but trying to remember the different stages of writing (Kroll and Barclay) is almost impossible!!!

But yeah our teachers have been banging on about context all year, just every point you make remember to look at the context and why something is different. Still not looking forward to the exam tomorrow though, but it is my last one thank god!!
Reply 13
Hey guys...

A years gone since u sat the English exam...

if any of you did the AQA english language B spec exam...could you tell me what was on it? or atleast tell me if there was a question of Childrens speech?

thanks
Reply 14
Yeah there were three extracts of children's/caregivers' speech in the June ENGB3 paper. Fairly standard stuff to analyse, I think.
I am doing this exam this year and I am also having trouble finding marked exam past papers can anyone help?
youre ****ed mate

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending