The Student Room Group

Reue's TV Licensing FAQ

Scroll to see replies

Reply 220
Savage91
The TV i have has to be plugged into the mains to work but i do not intend on watching tv on it even though i think it is capable of receiving a signal with the internal areial (sp?). Does this mean that i need a licence??

Cheers,
Savage

No, you dont need a licence just because your tv is capable of recieving signals.. only if you actually use it to do so.
Reply 221
I'm a 3rd year student who just moved into my own middle-floor flat (owned by a Student Housing Association) and this week I received my first TV licensing letter, and just wanted to confirm what's my best course of action.

I have a TV in my flat, but like the poster above it has an internal aerial/freeview built in, but I'm not planning on using it. The TV is being used to play on my Xbox 360 and I'll be using it to play games on there both offline and online. I also might connect my laptop to it via HDMI and watch some films through it which I have on my laptop.

Do I need to get a TV license?
If not, what is the best thing to say if an inspector calls by?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 222
If you're not watching live TV you don't need a license.

If an inspector comes calling (which is unlikely) ask him to come back with a warrant. You could also ask him to hang on whilst you call the police about a case of harassment.

Unless they have a warrant you don't have to let them in.
I just received the mail frm them saying I need license.

The thing is I'm an international student and am used to torrenting, watching stuff online streaming, sports etc....I've done tht here too so do I need the license?
Reply 224
Original post by The_Timepasser
I just received the mail frm them saying I need license.

The thing is I'm an international student and am used to torrenting, watching stuff online streaming, sports etc....I've done tht here too so do I need the license?

No
Original post by Reue
No

err I thought I needed tht for watching live sports?

If your torrenting and watching sports streams, then the TV license is the last thing you need to be worrying about. (I'm assuming you mean the sport streams of various channels that can be got from not so legal means)
Reply 227

Live being the key word. Yes you will need it for streaming anything live.
Original post by Reue
Live being the key word. Yes you will need it for streaming anything live.

My bad. So then welshbird(above) is wrong?
My bad. So then welshbird(above) is wrong?

It depends where you are streaming from. If you are using the likes of sopcast to stream foreign TV channels to watch sport, then that is a legal grey area, and so the TV license issue is probably the least of your worries.

However, if you are streaming live stuff from iPlayer and the like, then you do need a license.

One thing that I am unsure about and would be nice to have an answer. Last year the FA live streamed FA cup games on their website. Since that is technically not counted as TV (they weren't shown on any TV channel) would a license be needed for that?
Reply 230
Original post by WelshBluebird
One thing that I am unsure about and would be nice to have an answer. Last year the FA live streamed FA cup games on their website. Since that is technically not counted as TV (they weren't shown on any TV channel) would a license be needed for that?

It's probably a bit of a grey area. No doubt TV Licensing would try and persaude you that you do but if it's not on live TV in this country (including satellite) then I think you probably wouldn't need a license.

Personally if that's all I was watching / recording live I probably wouldn't bother with a License.

If it was not shown on any television channel then I would go with, no you would not need a TV license. It's just the same as when YouTube show the odd live video about something or other (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/YouTube_Live - I know it's wasn't filmed in the UK or anything but I'm just providing an example of what I mean). You wouldn't need a TV license for that so I am assuming the same rules apply to watching a live stream of non-televised FA Cup games.
It depends where you are streaming from. If you are using the likes of sopcast to stream foreign TV channels to watch sport, then that is a legal grey area, and so the TV license issue is probably the least of your worries.

However, if you are streaming live stuff from iPlayer and the like, then you do need a license.

I use sopcast to stream random sports channels (both foreign and brit)...so should I stop doin this? I have no idea cuz back in Dubai I never had to worry abt this sort of thing.

Another question - does I player show live football?
I use sopcast to stream random sports channels (both foreign and brit)...so should I stop doin this? I have no idea cuz back in Dubai I never had to worry abt this sort of thing.

Another question - does I player show live football?

1 - I doubt anyone would care really. Uni's can be very picky about what goes over their network, but you should be fine tbh.

2 - If the BBC are showing a live game (they sometimes show FA cup games, or Championship games) then it will also be live on iPlayer.
Reply 234
It says on the website:

You don’t need a TV Licence if
You don’t watch or record television programmes as they’re being shown on TV on any device

If you don’t watch or record television programmes, or you only stream TV programmes online after they’ve been broadcast through on-demand services like YouTube, BBC iPlayer and 4oD you don’t need to be covered by a
TV Licence.
Or all of these are true
Your out-of-term address is covered by a
TV Licence
AND you only use TV receiving equipment that is powered solely by its own internal batteries
AND you have not connected it to an aerial or plugged it into the mains.

So, if it's plugged into the mains, you need one? :confused:
Reply 235
Original post by V1NY
So, if it's plugged into the mains, you need one? :confused:

Yes. If you are watching live television on any device plugged into the mians you need a licence.

If it's not plugged into the mains you will be covered by your aprent's licence if you live with them during the uni holidays and they have a valid one.
Reply 236
In my university flat, where nobody watched TV, we once received a letter suggesting the TV Licence people are equipped with TV signal detectors, able to identify when and where exactly one is watching TV. Is that true or just part of their persuasion techniques?
Reply 237
Original post by dshadow
In my university flat, where nobody watched TV, we once received a letter suggesting the TV Licence people are equipped with TV signal detectors, able to identify when and where exactly one is watching TV. Is that true or just part of their persuasion techniques?

I suspect the bulk of their equipment are eyes and ears. If they can see a TV watching live tv through the window or hear it through the door then they might have a case against you assuming you don't have a license and do have a tv watching live tv.

In terms of technology I can think of a way they could do it however I suspect the accuary and the cost would be prohibitive for the majority of cases.
Reply 238
Original post by dshadow

There is great debate on wether they *could* actually detect a TV within a house.

Regardless, the fact remains that such evidence has never been admitted to court and thus is, currently, entirely a scare tactic to mislead the misinformed.
Reply 239
Just received a letter telling me to expect a visit from 'enforcer', claiming they will apply for a warrant then inspect my property. I'm in student halls.

I don't watch or receive a live TV signal. However I bought an aerial and an adapter to watch freeview last month, but have unable to pick up a signal of any kind. Am I liable?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending