The Student Room Group

Girl dies after being forced to run

http://www.thestar.com/news/world/article/1135520--girl-9-dies-after-being-forced-to-run-three-hours-as-punishment

Life sentence for these two cows?

Update: The girl's mom just gave birth to a baby today.
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
There is no intent, therefore it is not murder. Manslaughter yes, but it does not warrant a life sentance.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2
They should both be made to run as well...
As much as I say that I have no real desire to have kids - in part because I don't feel I would make the best dad.
I can always sleep easy at night knowing I could be a much better parent than some of the brainless scum who are so desperate to have children, so they can treat them as badly as these two women did.
Stupid Parents.

Not murder though.
Killers deserve no sympathy.
Reply 6
It's a horrible story! However not murder, the parents just need some mental help!
Reply 7
This makes me so angry, my grasp on language isn't adept enough that I can express how angry this makes me. Not only does this story reach that special zone where its Mind-Bendingly stupid people doing stupid things, and its just too much stupid- but it makes you lose a bit of faith in humanity as well.

9 year old girls shouldn't die because of morons punishing her for eating sweets.
Reply 8
"Deputies were told the girl was made to run after lying to her grandmother, 46-year-old Joyce Hardin Garrard, about having eaten the candy, Barton said."

A grandmother at 37 years old. That is something.

The story is tragic though.
Reply 9
Original post by illusionz
There is no intent, therefore it is not murder. Manslaughter yes, but it does not warrant a life sentance.

according to the article the police are considering it murder (second line). I hope they do count it as murder and alabama has capital punishment...
Reply 10
This is really awful :frown: No one should do this to a child.

On another note, did anyone else get seriously annoyed by the number of sentences that ended with 'Barton said'?
Original post by .eXe
according to the article the police are considering it murder (second line). I hope they do count it as murder and alabama has capital punishment...

What the newspaper quotes a (probably legally uneducated) police officer as saying does not equate to what the prosecution will push for in court.
if only TTTB had grandparents like that.
The grandmother/mother sound whack, but it doesn't sound like murder..
Reply 14
(probably legally uneducated) police officer

.... what? A police officer will know full well what it is, especially if he or she is a person in contact with press releases. It wouldnt be a random guy patrolling the streets.

If you bothered to look things up too. You would see they follow the felony murder law, thus use a broad term of murder which in accordance to this, means it can be mean they will be charged with manslaughter, they also use different definitions. So stop appealing to English law to make a point.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 15
Trailer trash.
Reply 16
What the newspaper quotes a (probably legally uneducated) police officer as saying does not equate to what the prosecution will push for in court.

What if a person has an intent to punish (like these women did) and shoots someone in the leg (non lethal) but the victim bleeds out? Can that be murder or is it still manslaughter since the perpetrator did not intend to kill?
Original post by .eXe
What if a person has an intent to punish (like these women did) and shoots someone in the leg (non lethal) but the victim bleeds out? Can that be murder or is it still manslaughter since the perpetrator did not intend to kill?

Shooting someone with a gun has clear intent to cause bodily harm, which if it then kills someone is classified as murder. Making someone run around does not have intent to cause actual harm.

Original post by Tommyjw
.... what? A police officer will know full well what it is, especially if he or she is a person in contact with press releases. It wouldnt be a random guy patrolling the streets.

If you bothered to look things up too. You would see they follow the felony murder law, thus use a broad term of murder which in accordance to this, means it can be be mean they will be charged with manslaughter, they also use different definitions. So stop appealing to English law to make a point.

When did I ever say that would not be the case? It is clearly not murder, but it is manslaughter.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 18
. Making someone run around does not have intent to cause actual harm.

Making a small girl run for 3 hours as direct punishment means no harm?

I think you need to stop talking.
Reply 19
Most people would struggle to run 3 hours non stop, let alone in the blazing American sun.

Terrible.
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest