The Student Room Group

The "waiting for news is driving me crazy" uberthread 2011-12

Scroll to see replies

Original post by new123
Thanks for this. What if a person declines the balance choice.. What would be deadline then?

Do you mean what if you decline/withdraw from the university that you're still waiting for a reply from? Then your UCAS deadline will be in May (if you withdraw before 31st March) and if you withdraw from it after 31st March then your deadline would be in June. Its exactly the same as it just gives you a deadline once you are no longer waiting for a reply from a university.

What exactly does firming/insurance mean? For example, if an applicant firms college X and insurances college Y Then, is it possible to decide to go to another college in another country, say in US or any other country later on? In that case, what is the procedure to be followed to withdraw the firm/insurance choices? Also, does any payment need to be done upfront while firming/insuring?

In short is it ever possible to withdraw from the firm/insurance choices at a later stage?

If you make choices in the UK then yes, you can still decide to go to university in another country at a later date. However, if you're an international student universities will probably ask for confirmation of ability to pay when you accept their UCAS offer and you may be asked to make payments for accommodation or tuition before you formally start the course. If you decide to attend another university in a different country AFTER you have made payments to a UK university you might not be able to get this money back even if you do not actually study the course. However, if you make your firm/insurance choices now then decide in May or June that you no longer want to study in the UK, then that will not be a problem as long as you have not paid money to the university. You can still decide not to study in the UK right up until the course starts in October, you will just lose any money you have paid. You can just cancel your application on UCAS and just send an email to the university to let them know.

However, once you have made your UK firm and insurance choices you can not study at any other UK university for that year. If you chose university A as your firm and university B as your insurance, then if you achieve the grades that university A want, then this is the UK university which has a place for you in September 2012. You can not decide that you want to study in the UK but want to go to university B or C or any other one, it has to be university A. If you do not achieve the necessary grades for your firm choice but you do for your insurance choice (university B) then this is the UK university that has a space for you.
Generic 'LSE is taking too long to reply'.. *sulks in corner*
Reply 4222
I'm still waiting on Napier. Just checked my mails.
New one from UCAS! :eek:
UCAS Media!!!:mad:

Why??? Going insane here.
Reply 4223
Finally heard back from all my Uni's! :biggrin: Firmed Glasgow and put Heriot-Watt as my insurance, now I just need to get the grades :s
Reply 4224
Still waiting for Oxford Brookes to reply, applied back on the 12th of October x_x
Reply 4225
The wait is over I got all my offers
Just got an unconditional also from Napier for Computer Security and Forensics.
Now I have received all my offers, 5/5 unconditionals, with 1 offer with entry point 2. Very very happy :biggrin:
Reply 4227
The waiting game is over for me, just got my final offer in from St Andrews!
Kind of a scary feeling - it's all down to me now... :eek:

Hope everybody else hears back soon!
still waiting for three of my offers! getting so scared and panicking now :frown:
Reply 4229
Original post by Soph.Jade
still waiting for three of my offers! getting so scared and panicking now :frown:

Same here.
With 4~ days left until the deadline i'm getting rather annoyed :/
Gonna ring Oxford Brookes up tomorrow :smile:
Original post by Torrent
Same here.
With 4~ days left until the deadline i'm getting rather annoyed :/
Gonna ring Oxford Brookes up tomorrow :smile:

Ah, what course have you applied for? are you waiting on any other responses?
Reply 4231
Original post by Soph.Jade
Ah, what course have you applied for? are you waiting on any other responses?

Applied for Computer Science waaaaay back on the 12th of October; I have all of my other offers back too D:

Your self?
When do they have to let you know by? I thought it was March 31st but my teacher says May!
Reply 4233
Original post by petparadise123
When do they have to let you know by? I thought it was March 31st but my teacher says May!

http://www.ucas.ac.uk/students/importantdates
UCAS asks the Universities to reply by the end of March...if they haven't replied by the 10th of May, UCAS will make the outstanding offers unsuccessful D:
Original post by petparadise123

Original post by Torrent
http://www.ucas.ac.uk/students/importantdates
UCAS asks the Universities to reply by the end of March...if they haven't replied by the 10th of May, UCAS will make the outstanding offers unsuccessful D:

They have until May to reply to you.

UCAS send a polite request to universities to respond by the end of March but this isn't a deadline and nothing will happen to either you or the universities if they fail to meet this date. If they don't reply to you by May then UCAS will auto reject you on their behalf (assuming you applied before 15th January) but this is the only official reply date. There seems to be a lot of confusion about this one this year!
Reply 4235
Is it worth trying to contact the university about why have they given you a rejection?
Reply 4236
Original post by snigo
Is it worth trying to contact the university about why have they given you a rejection?

Depends why you're contacting them. If you want them to reconsider then there's no point because they probably won't. But if you just want to find out their reasons then yeah it can be a good idea - but be prepared that they may just say generic useless stuff like "there was a lot of competition" or may not say anything.
Reply 4237
I'm still awaiting a response from my first choice (Design at Edinburgh)

I got my A level results in August 2011, and I applied in autumn, after a few months of UCAS assessment, was asked to send a portfolio to them to be assessed, that got accepted and was asked to come to Edinburgh to show more work and deliver an essay, and now I'm waiting for response for that.

The final assessment was a month ago, and the response will be 'anytime between march 31st to may 11th' !!

It feels so gruelling, and I just want it to be over. Jealous of guys who send off UCAS forms with predicted grades and get offers ha.

It's a ridiculously competitive course (hence the lengthy application) so I'm preparing for a rejection.. but I just hate waiting :frown:
Reply 4238
Funny, shortly after writing that... UCAS tell me I got an unconditional offer from Edinburgh :biggrin:
Original post by zenb
Funny, shortly after writing that... UCAS tell me I got an unconditional offer from Edinburgh :biggrin:

:smile:

Quick Reply