The Student Room Group

Lazy people annoy me

Scroll to see replies

When since did gym- goer= useful person?
Anyway, I respect people who work really hard to get a physique and what-have-you. But personally I'd rather have a lot of knowledge than muscles, which, face it, is more important in today's society. Then again I'm a geek so I'm likely biased. :wink:
Original post by mc1000
Nah. I have no desire to get ripped thank you. My body is quite adequate as it is. My exercise consists of aerobic exercise in the outdoors; I do a lot of cycling because it's something I find enjoyable. Consequently I'm quite physically fit.

However, my upper body strength is probably below average - which isn't something I care about really. Doesn't matter. I'm in good physical shape from the enjoyable aerobic exercise I do. Why anyone would do anaerobic weight training because they actually enjoy it is beyond me; I would imagine that a large proportion of guys who do weight training do it because they're douches who just want to attract shallow, superficial, skanky girls who are turned on by large biceps and little else.

It's a sign of maturity and confidence to make sneering generalisations about people who do things you don't personally enjoy that don't affect you negatively in any way.
Original post by Dark Horse
Did you enjoy it when your ring was getting destroyed, brah? :smile:

A little. My finger did get bitten off though and that fricken hurt.
Reply 44
I'm really lazy and go to the gym and am in good shape. Wish I was more dedicated to other areas of my life.
live and let live and let people do their own thing?

In answer to the title of this thread, you should take your own advice...
Reply 46
Original post by mc1000
Nah. I have no desire to get ripped thank you. My body is quite adequate as it is. My exercise consists of aerobic exercise in the outdoors; I do a lot of cycling because it's something I find enjoyable. Consequently I'm quite physically fit.

However, my upper body strength is probably below average - which isn't something I care about really. Doesn't matter. I'm in good physical shape from the enjoyable aerobic exercise I do. Why anyone would do anaerobic weight training because they actually enjoy it is beyond me; I would imagine that a large proportion of guys who do weight training do it because they're douches who just want to attract shallow, superficial, skanky girls who are turned on by large biceps and little else.

I enjoyed anaerobic weight training when I did it. I mostly do bodyweight stuff and cardio now, and it's just not the same :frown: deadlifting gave me such a rush
Well I think you suck if you're too lazy to play guitar properly, because you still play Oasis songs after 3 years of playing. See how stupid that sounds? Its about personal preference. Not everybody likes exercising. I just cycle a few kilometres a day and it works out for me.
Reply 48
Excellence is not a skill, it is a state of mind.

I try to live my life by this video

Served me pretty well thusfar...

Gives me goosebumps every time... :p:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by mc1000

How hypocritical...

I could say that I don't see cycling as enjoyable and then say I enjoy anaerobic weight training. Some enjoy it, others don't...what don't you understand about that?

What's so bad about getting a good attractive body in order to attract women? Please explain?
Reply 50
Original post by *GoLdSeQuIn*
In answer to the title of this thread, you should take your own advice...

Original post by Retrodiction
Way to miss an extraordinarily simple point.

"Why can't they just live and let live and let people do their own thing?" - telling people to do something isn't the only way that somebody can go against this principle. There are lots of other ways, such as creating a thread outlining how non-gym-goers are less useful than gym-goers.

Original post by Hellz_Bellz!
Not everyone does regular exercise, not everyone sticks to a macrobiotic diet, and not everyone is toned, ripped and a size 8.

But if they're not morbidly obese and costing the NHS millions of pounds a year for treatment for CHD, diabetes, etc, then why does it bother you so much?

I think maybe you should get off your high horse... I get sick of fitness buffs who think they're better than everyone.

Original post by Chumbaniya
There's absolutely no call for people who choose not to do a lot of exercise too look down on those who do, but at the same time there's no call for those who do a lot of exercise to consider themselves superior to people who choose to focus their efforts on different things.

As you say, live and let live - don't try to convince yourself you're "more useful" than someone because you spend more time in the gym.

None of these people lift/exercise, I'll wager. :biggrin:

I lift - pretty seriously, in the past, though less so now. I've represented my university in powerlifting, though the level of competition wasn't exactly elite.

It just happens that, whilst I enjoy my hobby, I appreciate that many others don't want to lift and I don't think they're lesser people for that. People have different interests. If you want people to respect the interests you have (as it seems in the original post you're annoyed by the lack of respect you receive) then you need to respect the people who don't share that interest.

In fact the "I bet you don't lift" attitude towards anyone who doesn't support your view entirely is precisely analogous to the "I bet you're shallow and insecure" attitude some have towards anyone who does lift. It's all about making entirely unnecessary personal digs at people who don't share your views in order to feel better about yourself.
I lift - pretty seriously, in the past, though less so now. I've represented my university in powerlifting, though the level of competition wasn't exactly elite.
I was pretty sure you post, or at least posted, quite often in Fitness.
Reply 53

It just happens that, whilst I enjoy my hobby, I appreciate that many others don't want to lift and I don't think they're lesser people for that. People have different interests. If you want people to respect the interests you have (as it seems in the original post you're annoyed by the lack of respect you receive) then you need to respect the people who don't share that interest.

In fact the "I bet you don't lift" attitude towards anyone who doesn't support your view entirely is precisely analogous to the "I bet you're shallow and insecure" attitude some have towards anyone who does lift. It's all about making entirely unnecessary personal digs at people who don't share your views in order to feel better about yourself.

:K:

Ok first of all...I'm fully aware that not everyone in the world is interested in "building muscle", "increasing VO2 max", "getting ripped" or whatever other fitness goals there is out there. It just so happens that we live in a world where there is much to do, and many things to take interest in and there is limited time to do it in.

Perhaps you should've spent less time lifting and more time learning how to read, brah. :biggrin:
Perhaps you should've spent less time lifting and more time learning how to read, brah. :biggrin:

Saying all that is very well, but when you feel that lifting weights makes you more useful as a person and think that suggesting someone doesn't lift works as a counter-argument it's all rather hollow isn't it?

Wrong.
Reply 56
Wrong.

And, assuming that you've made progress since lifting/exercising, have you noticed any changes in yourself? :smile:
And, assuming that you've made progress since lifting/exercising, have you noticed any changes in yourself? :smile:

Yep. Firmer all round. Developing nice biceps, bum's tauter.
Reply 58
Yep. Firmer all round. Developing nice biceps, bum's tauter.

Vanity aside....Do you feel any difference in your confidence/self esteem/energy levels since you began exercising? :smile:
Reply 59
Original post by The Socktor
Anyway, I respect people who work really hard to get a physique and what-have-you. But personally I'd rather have a lot of knowledge than muscles, which, face it, is more important in today's society. Then again I'm a geek so I'm likely biased. :wink:

Those aren't contradictory goals.

Quick Reply

Latest