The Student Room Group

How benificial is doing a 4 years degree over a 3 years degree?

For those doing/applying for a BEng/BSc or MEng/MComp/MSci degree. What made you choose a 3 or 4 years degree?

For those in there 4th year or graduated, how does the work in the 4th year compared to the first 3 years?

Do you regret or glad you did a MEng/MComp/MSci degree instead of a BEng/BSc degree?

How beneficial is doing a 4 years course over 3 years?

I can't work out, if 4th years is beneficial then doing 3 years. On one hand, I think it's beneficial in that you learn more advanced material. On the other hand, if you can get a graduate job after 3 years, then what's the point in doing a 4th year.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1
If unsure, it's usually best to apply for the four year course from the start, as it's much easier to "move down" to three years if you change your mind than to go the other way. If you start on a three year course and decide you want to continue on to four years it can sometimes be complicated in terms of the uni having room for you or extending your student loan.

I started on a four year MSci and decided to change to a three year BSc in my second year and it was a fairly simple process.

EDIT: I should add that this depends on whether the first years of both the three- and four-year courses are identical. Obviously if it isn't you may not be able to transfer so easily.
(edited 12 years ago)
Hi it really depends on what the extra year of a 4 year degree provides. if the four year degree gives you a an intern or work based project it means you will graduate with work experience and links into business/industry. The applied science Universities in the Netherlands offer four year degrees and have excellent employment outcomes and the fees are only approx £1500 a year! Jo from the Degrees Ahead Team
Reply 3
Original post by Degrees Ahead
Hi it really depends on what the extra year of a 4 year degree provides. if the four year degree gives you a an intern or work based project it means you will graduate with work experience and links into business/industry. The applied science Universities in the Netherlands offer four year degrees and have excellent employment outcomes and the fees are only approx £1500 a year! Jo from the Degrees Ahead Team

Any insight on purely academic 4th years?
Reply 4
I've applied for a 3 year degree with a year in industry, but have been advised to knock the year in industry on the head and do the masters instead.

I'm still unsure, and might even go for the masters and the year in industry.
Reply 5
Original post by mike101
I've applied for a 3 year degree with a year in industry, but have been advised to knock the year in industry on the head and do the masters instead.

I'm still unsure, and might even go for the masters and the year in industry.

Who advised you to do a masters instead of a year in industry?

I think a year in industry is more beneficial then doing a masters. It's just deciding between doing a bachelor or masters with a placement the difficult dilemma.
Reply 6
Original post by GuyUK
Who advised you to do a masters instead of a year in industry?

I think a year in industry is more beneficial then doing a masters. It's just deciding between doing a bachelor or masters with a placement the difficult dilemma.

The interviewer at York University, his reason being I've already worked in a (slightly) related industry for 4 years before starting (I'm 22 now) so it might be more beneficial to use that year to do a masters instead.
From our expereince relevant work experience is crucial for getting a well paid job. look at the latest research from High Fliers
Reply 8
I thought one of the main reasons the Uni's offer 4 year study courses is so that you can obtain chartered status more easily -

Quick Reply