The Student Room Group
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath

ipads or tablets anyone?

Poll

Are tablets/ipads useful when studying at uni?

Hey guys, just wanted to get your opinions on whether having a tablet when you're at uni is useful. Like to bring to class/lectures or to the library and stuff like that, not really so much for the games and apps or things like that.

appreciate your views and comments :wink: thanks

Ps: not really sure if i should have created this poll here so let me know it i should move it some place else :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1
The library tends to be busy, so having one can be convenient so as to not need to look around for a spare computer during peak hours.

However, I don't have one nor do I plan to get one as it's not necessary. More importantly, I'm quite the person to get distracted from studies with such technology in my possession!
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath
Reply 2
Original post by Angelus
The library tends to be busy, so having one can be convenient so as to not need to look around for a spare computer during peak hours.

However, I don't have one nor do I plan to get one as it's not necessary. More importantly, I'm quite the person to get distracted from studies with such technology in my possession!

hmm do people even bring their tablets to class if they have one? cause i'm wondering if i should get a new laptop or tablet? my laptop is only 2 years old though..

haha i know what you mean :biggrin: here i am fb-ing and chatting when i'm supposed to be studying economics :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by yzarcemina
hmm do people even bring their tablets to class if they have one? cause i'm wondering if i should get a new laptop or tablet? my laptop is only 2 years old though..

haha i know what you mean :biggrin: here i am fb-ing and chatting when i'm supposed to be studying economics :smile:

I've noticed only a couple people in my physics lectures bringing them in; it's not a common sight, at least in my lectures. Nevertheless, bring one along for your lectures if you wish. :smile:
personally id rather have a laptop than a tablet :smile:
Reply 5
No, totally useless. laptop + pen and paper is all you will ever need.
I'm not sure how well a tablet would work in lectures unless you had a special pen where you could handwrite notes on it. I mainly use my iPad as a mini TV :3
Reply 7
Put it this way, I'm gonna need a Laptop anyway, so why bother buying a tablet as well - just two things to lug around. Laptop does everything an iPad does (OK maybe not the games).
I think we already had this discussion - instead of getting a new laptop I'm lugging my workhorse one to uni but it'll stay in my room 99% of the time, and if I want to take notes/ work on essays I can do so on my iPad. That said, I was lucky enough to get mine as a present from my uncle, if I had to spend my hard earned cash I think I wouldn't get one.
Reply 9
You could get a light and quite decent computer for the same amount of money, with a real keyboard and a more convenient multitasking system.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 10
I have one and can honestly say I think it is quite useless as a device for anything but enjoyment. Pen, paper and a ruler is going to be your best friend. At least for maths & phys where you need to draw figures and such.

For subjects where you write a lot (guessing law, econ etc.) a laptop with a good keyboard will be far superior.

The only thing I do on my iPad that can be considered productive or academic is reading and watching lectures, things that can be done just as well in a proper book or on a laptop. The short of it is; it's a product of consumption. Not creation.

My suggestion is to look into a solid and portable laptop, an ultrabook for example. It will serve you better, guaranteed.

Quick Reply

Latest