The Student Room Group

lower than 40% on an exam but over 40% overall...

Hey guys

what happens if I fail an exam but my average is over 40% for a module? Do I still pass?

Doing Biomed at ucl.

Thank you!
If this is for a MODULE, then I think it depends on what the course content is and what your lecturer defines. For example, I had a group project last year. Had someone failed that, I think you actually couldn't progress to the next year even if you got 100 in the exam.

If you're talking about failing the module and passing the degree, that's possible, but different unis will penalise you with, for example, no honors degree.
Reply 2
I've got 58% for my constitutional law essay which was 25% of the module. And I have a 75% exam now. If I score 35 for the exam id have average for the module 40% so it's a pass but then do you pass if you fail the exam but still have the average for the whole module?
Reply 3
Original post by mandarina
I've got 58% for my constitutional law essay which was 25% of the module. And I have a 75% exam now. If I score 35 for the exam id have average for the module 40% so it's a pass but then do you pass if you fail the exam but still have the average for the whole module?

I think it still constitutes as passing the module, but I'm not 100% sure.
Reply 4
ok, I got it. I guess it also depends on the uni.
Reply 5
In my old departement I'm fairly certain you needed to pass every component of each module. I ended up failing the weekly problem component in one module and had to redo that section of the module (as a large problem sheet covering the whole module to be done at home). I don't remember what would have happened if I'd failed that too though, possibly counting the module as a fail in terms of honors, but that's just speculation.
Depends on the uni but in most cases, as long as you get over 40% overall you're good.
Err, for me (genetics/ UCL/ 2005-2008) the exam had to be >40% regardless of the other material. Obviously time has passed and biomed is a different dept to biology so you really need to contact your university about this. I think you're allowed to fail one module and still go onto next year without having to resit.

I do have to ask though. You're smart enough to get into UCL yet you've just failed a module in the first year. Are you sure this course is for you? It only gets harder. You only get to finish one degree and if you're not finding biomed interesting you should be looking for something you do, because especially in science if you don't find your course interesting you're not going to be able to do the necessary work to do well in it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending