The Student Room Group

Army says I don't meet the educational requirements to be an officer?

(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Did they actually say "you don't meet the requirements", or that yours aren't high enough?
From my understanding, the role of an Army Officer is quite a competitive job, especially with all the recent cuts. The bare minimum probably isn't enough to get through to selection.
(edited 11 years ago)
If you're running a successful business then why don't you stick with it?
Reply 4
Original post by Cannotbelieveit
From my understanding, the role of an Army Officer is quite a competitive job, especially with all the recent cuts. The bare minimum probably isn't enough to get through to selection.

If its right at the start of the application process it shouldn't matter, they are the requirements if you meet them your carry on if you don't you don't. It's very bizarre you have educational requirements from what I can see go down to your AFCO and ask.

Edit: do you have a gcse in science or just physics that may be an issue.
Reply 5
Original post by PinkyPurply

I was wondering about this as well.
Reply 6

I imagine it's hard to believe that someone will give up a cushy office job, a car, a girlfriend and some life-long friends to join the Army.
...But the Army life offers you a whole different dimension of experiences. And you can always pick up your civvy life relatively close to where you left it once you finish your Army career.

Because as successful a business as it may be it is not what I want to continue doing, I have always aspired to a career as an Officer in the armed forces and everything I have done and continue to do is geared towards that. Sport, running a business, developing skills etc.. For me there is no greater or more noble career than serving in the Armed Forces.

Original post by C_B_C
I imagine it's hard to believe that someone will give up a cushy office job, a car, a girlfriend and some life-long friends to join the Army.
...But the Army life offers you a whole different dimension of experiences. And you can always pick up your civvy life relatively close to where you left it once you finish your Army career.

Exactamundo sir, it is this whole different dimension of experiences and life that I long for...

Original post by Cannotbelieveit

No I do believe it's not and I do fully appreciate the competitiveness of the selection, however on top of those grades, which yes are not necessarily the most competitive however I do have a great deal of other experience. All very relevant.

I am awfully confused by this though. the requirements state the following:

'A minimum of 35 ALIS points for the best 7 subjects at GCSE or equivalent which must include English Language, Mathematics and either a Science subject or a Foreign Language at grade C or better.

Then, you'll need 180 UCAS Tariff points acquired in separate subjects at AS and A level equivalent to include a minimum of 2 passes at A Level at grades A-E or equivalent. Note that the General Studies paper does not qualify for UCAS Tariff points.'

I do have Chemistry also but at a lower grade, surely that's not it though based on the above set criteria?

I haven't heard anything back yet. I do hope it's an error though :s-smilie:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 8
Who did you telephone? Presumably you have been into an Armed Forces Career Office and referred on to an ACA?

Contrary to what you have been told you appear to meet the requirements. There is an appeals process if you are incorrectly rejected on these grounds.
You're going to be in charge of some potentially battle-hardened soldiers and if they don't respect you then you can't lead them. If you don't give off an aura of leadership and intellect then why should they respect your decisions? If you're really determined then why don't you arrange to take more GCSEs and A-levels, ace every single exam and try again?
Reply 10
Original post by The_Last_Melon
You're going to be in charge of some potentially battle-hardened soldiers and if they don't respect you then you can't lead them. If you don't give off an aura of leadership and intellect then why should they respect your decisions? If you're really determined then why don't you arrange to take more GCSEs and A-levels, ace every single exam and try again?

Because he seemingly already has the grades required.
Original post by craglyboy
Because he seemingly already has the grades required.

Required to become an officer or required to enter?
You can be an officer with those grades, infact contrary to popular belief pretty mich everything is waveable if they think your good enough. I think the message here is they dont want you at that careers office. Not knowing you i cant say if thats fair or not.
Original post by importunate
infact contrary to popular belief pretty mich everything is waveable if they think your good enough.

Wrong. There are strict entry requirements that are stuck to.
Original post by ProStacker
Wrong. There are strict entry requirements that are stuck to.

Interesting. Given that i serve with blokes who didnt achieve these strict entry requirements.

Out of interest whats your background. Are you in?
*pulls up a comfy seat* :smile:
Original post by importunate
Interesting. Given that i serve with blokes who didnt achieve these strict entry requirements.

For a commission, there are minimum entry requirements and they are strictly adhered to. What entry requirements were needed for your current role then?
For a commission, there are minimum entry requirements and they are strictly adhered to. What entry requirements were needed for your current role then?

Im not commisioned and id rather not talk about what badge im in and what i do on a public forum. Its sufficient to say im not commisioned and am infantry.

My point is i know many trades who let people in without the correct gcses, and i know plenty more convictions than are offically allowed,
My point is that we're talking an application for a commission here and I've never met any Officer who didn't have the minimum requirements. Ever.

The Army has certainly, in the past, been 'flexible' on certain entry criteria for certain roles. However, with the reductions in numbers and Army 2020 coming up, I'd guess they are less flexible compared to a few years back.
My point is that we're talking an application for a commission here and I've never met any Officer who didn't have the minimum requirements. Ever.

The Army has certainly, in the past, been 'flexible' on certain entry criteria for certain roles. However, with the reductions in numbers and Army 2020 coming up, I'd guess they are less flexible compared to a few years back.

Your right, the army are getting more selective. They are now in a position to turn away crap without wasting money giving them a go.

Ill lay my cards on the table and say ive not actually talked to many officers about their educational stuff so wouldnt know. I just do know that atleast as a soldier if you can prove you are dedicated and will do the job well they will help you out.

Quick Reply

Latest