The Student Room Group

Dentistry's GPA/Degre classification

I know in England you get pass/fail but if you go out of country they will require your gpa and somehow your pass/fail is converted into a gpa.

Does anyone know how this happens? Do they ask your university for all you exam grades or something?

I know you can get a BDS honours or a distinction, but is this in all universities? If it isn't can someone tell me where if they know off the top of the heads universities that do it?

I'm not in dental school yet so I don't have the slightest clue but if anyone can answer that'd be great :smile:.
Original post by Domxmb
I know in England you get pass/fail but if you go out of country they will require your gpa and somehow your pass/fail is converted into a gpa.

Does anyone know how this happens? Do they ask your university for all you exam grades or something?

I know you can get a BDS honours or a distinction, but is this in all universities? If it isn't can someone tell me where if they know off the top of the heads universities that do it?

I'm not in dental school yet so I don't have the slightest clue but if anyone can answer that'd be great :smile:.

Doctor of Dental Surgery (DDS)
Doctor of Dental Medicine (DMD)
2 above are mostly in US- dont quote me on that-not sure :smile:

Doctor of Medical Dentistry (DrMedDent)
Bachelor of Dentistry (BDent)
Bachelor of Dental Surgery (BDS or BChD or BDentS)
Reply 2
anyone know :/?
Reply 3
I'd imagine honours/distinction applies to all universities. Are you sure they convert the degree to a GPA? I've never heard of that. They probably ask you for your exam percentage, or degree equivalent (2.2, 2.1, etc.) and work from there.
Reply 4
Glasgow use the Honours/distinction system to parallel the degree classification system for other courses. From what I can remember:

A1-A5 - BDS w/ Honours - 1st class honours
B1-B3 - BDS w/ Commendation - 2.1
C1-C3 - BDS - 2.2
D1-D3 - BDS - 2.3/3rd

As for GPA, it is possible to have it calculated as far as I can see, certainly it is part of the Glasgow online system, but mine isn't showing anything
Reply 5
Original post by fuzzycloud
I'd imagine honours/distinction applies to all universities. Are you sure they convert the degree to a GPA? I've never heard of that. They probably ask you for your exam percentage, or degree equivalent (2.2, 2.1, etc.) and work from there.

I know it sounds weird but how else would they compare lots of people from many different universities from many different countries?
Reply 6
It may well be that they compare GPAs from foreign students to whatever the equivalent may be for a UK student, i.e. a 1st is equal to a GPA of 4.0.

Quick Reply

Latest