The Student Room Group

Psychology AQA A PSYA4 18th June 2012!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 640
Original post by Emy25
For vulnerabilities of addiction or risk factors question what is the best way to structure it?
e.g A01 e.g. Age is a risk factor...
A02 supporting evidence i.e a study
and then explain how the study relates to the scenario given.

this particular type of question usually comes up so any help on this i would really appreciate it thanks :smile:

also does anyone have any predictions for addiction i know it quite hard to predict anyway.

my predictions for schizophrenia is therapies but a split question

(a) Outline one psychological therapy and one biological therapy for schizophrenia (8)

(b) Evaluate the therapies you have outlined (16)

that would be a nice question ! i'd talk about conventional antipsychotic drugs and family therapy x
Reply 641
Original post by Mephestic
sure what do you want to know? from my understanding it seems they will ask us 3 questions which seem to be usually split with two bigger ones and one smaller one. big ones vary in size and ask you to apply knowledge to certain scenarios it seems.

I see, so what are the topics? I'm confused as to what has been removed from the syllabus, and my teacher hasn't taught us everything
Reply 642
Hiiiii :smile:

im doing approaches debates and research methods but im stressing out so bad!
people say that PSYB4 is easy as its similar to unit 1 .. i got an A in unit 1 but i dont have a clue how to write debates essays? and for the approaches essay do i mainly jus compare to other approaches?
Reply 643
Original post by fafadora
Hiiiii :smile:

im doing approaches debates and research methods but im stressing out so bad!
people say that PSYB4 is easy as its similar to unit 1 .. i got an A in unit 1 but i dont have a clue how to write debates essays? and for the approaches essay do i mainly jus compare to other approaches?

this thread is for psya4 :tongue:
Reply 644
Original post by xhennaa
i know exactly how you feel! i HATE addiction :/ are you doing depression as well by any chance? i have no idea what's going to come up for addiction :frown:

YES i am! There's only about five possible questions for depression and I have all of those down bar psychological treatments, which I'll do on Wednesday. Bloody addiction just isn't going in though :frown:! I'm stressing myself out big time! How do you do with research methods?
Original post by rf229
I see, so what are the topics? I'm confused as to what has been removed from the syllabus, and my teacher hasn't taught us everything

The only thing that has been removed is the influence of attitudes on decision making which involved cognitive consistency and disonance and self-perception.

That entire topic has been taken out, the rest remain the same which is:

Media influences on pro-social behaviour
Media influences on anti-social behaviour

Positive effects of video games and computers
Negative effects of video games and computers

Hovland Yale model
Elaboration likelihood model

The effectiveness of television in persuasion

Attraction to celebrity -(psychological and evolutionary explanations)

Intense fandom including Celebrity Worship and Celebrity Stalking.

I think thats everything for media?

:smile:
Reply 646
Just gunna put it out there that the exam is on my eighteenth birthday. Loving life!
Reply 647
The only thing that has been removed is the influence of attitudes on decision making which involved cognitive consistency and disonance and self-perception.

Hovland Yale model

This is exactly what I needed, thankyou so much! Good luck in the exam :smile:
Reply 648

Hovland Yale model

Oh that's pants! We haven't been told about attitudes and decision making being taken out and I spent all of yesterday learning cognitive dissonance theory and self-perception!
I'll have to check with my teacher cause she's making sure we know cognitive dissonance in our next revision session. But at least that's two less essays we need to know:cute:
I'm actually looking forward to this exam! we've got bags of time to get our essays down and plenty time to think and plan :smile: Can't wait till it's over!
Original post by RachelM94
Oh that's pants! We haven't been told about attitudes and decision making being taken out and I spent all of yesterday learning cognitive dissonance theory and self-perception!
I'll have to check with my teacher cause she's making sure we know cognitive dissonance in our next revision session. But at least that's two less essays we need to know:cute:
I'm actually looking forward to this exam! we've got bags of time to get our essays down and plenty time to think and plan :smile: Can't wait till it's over!

have you started on research methods yet? Its a bit tricky I think :s-smilie:

Here is the spec change itself attached so you can confirm yourself:
Oh. My goodness! How am I going to write over 6 pages of 3 essays (seeing as how just typing it all comes to two (over 1500) pages!!) in an hour and 30? ..... That's exactly ALL the time spent writing and it has to be full flow with no planning whatsoever! Oh... My poor hand... D:
Reply 651
have you started on research methods yet? Its a bit tricky I think :s-smilie:

Here is the spec change itself attached so you can confirm yourself:

Kind of, I love the statistical tests cause we've already gone over chi squared in biology, so I was able to get my head around the tests, but i've got a feeling i'll be dropping marks on simple 3 mark questions in research methods where i'll only be able to think of 1 or 2 points :/

ah thanks for that! I'll show it to my teacher, I really don't think she's seen it cause she hasn't taught us about the positive effects of video games either eek! I'll just teach myself :smile:
Reply 652
Is anyone here good at the statistics part? Lol im so confused as to what the difference is between the critical value and the alpha value! Are they the same thing? :frown:
I have looked everywhere for the AQA A2 Psychology Unit 3 and 4
june 2011 and jan 2012 question paper

but i just cant find it :confused::confused:

i have tried the AQA website but it only has upto jan 2011*
Do you know where i can access them from?

Thankyou :smile:
Original post by Xx...Anzal...xX
I have looked everywhere for the AQA A2 Psychology Unit 3 and 4
june 2011 and jan 2012 question paper

but i just cant find it :confused::confused:

i have tried the AQA website but it only has upto jan 2011*
Do you know where i can access them from?

Thankyou :smile:

http://store.aqa.org.uk/qual/gce/pdf/AQA-PSYA4-W-QP-JUN11.PDF :smile: hope this helps
Original post by 19941994
Is anyone here good at the statistics part? Lol im so confused as to what the difference is between the critical value and the alpha value! Are they the same thing? :frown:

it took me I while to understand them too.

basically the critical value will be in a table with others and they they will give you a value and ask you whether it is significant or not.

under the table it will tell you whether the significance needs to equal or exceed the table critical value for a significance or whether it needs to fall below it for a significance.

it all depends on the test they use:
for chi-squaRed & speaRmans rho it needs to be equal or be greater (just remember which tests have an R in their name)

For Mann Whitney and Wilcoxon if the value giving to you is equal or less than the one in the table then its significant.

now as for the table of values- your next question is how do i know what to look at? which is the critical value?
it depends on the hypothesis firstly- if its a directional hypothesis it will be under the values for a "one tailed test".
if the hypothesis is non-directional then it will be under "two tailed test".
next to help you pinpoint which one it is you need to know the significance value chosen- usually this is 5% which is also known as p<0.05 but it can be different! follow the column or row with this on either the one tailed test or two tailed, depending on which it is- and that should be it.

sometimes you need to choose it number depending on how many people were in the test too so if there were 20 people and you see in the table it has a row counting 19, 20, 21 etc, then look at the row with 20.

how's this?
worthy of rep surely lol :smile:
Reply 656
If anyone is doing media, do you know what A02/A03 marks you can put for the Hovland-Yale model? Thank you
Can someone please tell me the likely topics for Phobic Disorders (OCD) and Media please?
Reply 658
Hi everyone, anyone else doing anomalistic and depression?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 659
Original post by CollateralElement
Oh. My goodness! How am I going to write over 6 pages of 3 essays (seeing as how just typing it all comes to two (over 1500) pages!!) in an hour and 30? ..... That's exactly ALL the time spent writing and it has to be full flow with no planning whatsoever! Oh... My poor hand... D:

you won't for this exam, short answer questions FTW!

Quick Reply

Latest