The Student Room Group

AQA A2 Making of Modern Britain, 1951-2007

General place for people doing this exam to stress/give advice/tips!
Anyone got any idea what is likely to be coming up?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
My teachers think there will be a synoptic question on foreign policy across the whole period, plus possibly something on Blair/New Labour as Thatcher came up recently :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by codle
My teachers think there will be a synoptic question on foreign policy across the whole period, plus possibly something on Blair/New Labour as Thatcher came up recently :smile:

I hope your teacher is right because i would love a question on foreign policy but i have a problem on the structure when it comes to a synoptic question can you give me an example on how i would structure a question on foreign policy

thank you
Reply 3
[QUOTE="chocolates;37754952" Mmm="Mmm"]
Original post by codle

I hope your teacher is right because i would love a question on foreign policy but i have a problem on the structure when it comes to a synoptic question can you give me an example on how i would structure a question on foreign policy

thank you

Well I'm not totally sure on synoptic questions myself but I'll try :P so if it were me I'd try to structure the essay by theme - eg Europe, the Empire, the special relationship - rather than in chronological order. If you do it in order it'll just turn into a list :P so I'd divide it up into themes :smile:

Reply 4
Original post by codle

Oo thank you! Our class were guessing Blair/New Labour too, which is such a shame, would love to have a rant about Thatcher :P
Reply 5
Original post by lampshade1
Oo thank you! Our class were guessing Blair/New Labour too, which is such a shame, would love to have a rant about Thatcher :P

Haha! Is that an "I love Thatcher" rant or an "I hate her" rant?

Reply 6
Original post by codle
Haha! Is that an "I love Thatcher" rant or an "I hate her" rant?

Oh definitely an I hate Thatcher rant! :P
Original post by codle

LOL My teacher said the same thing! DO we by any chance have the same teacher? SBE school? lol

If not, then what a coincident and I need to revise this properly and do a question on it ASAP....lol
Reply 8
Original post by ToyosiBaby
LOL My teacher said the same thing! DO we by any chance have the same teacher? SBE school? lol

If not, then what a coincident and I need to revise this properly and do a question on it ASAP....lol

Hehe, well my history class is quite small (only 8 of us!) so I'd be surprised if you were in my class!
So we probably do need to be revising this stuff then if lots of people think it... I did a mock today, one question on foreign policy and one on Thatcher. The first was okay, the second wasn't so good - I forgot the dates of everything! So definite revision needed...
Original post by codle
Hehe, well my history class is quite small (only 8 of us!) so I'd be surprised if you were in my class!
So we probably do need to be revising this stuff then if lots of people think it... I did a mock today, one question on foreign policy and one on Thatcher. The first was okay, the second wasn't so good - I forgot the dates of everything! So definite revision needed...

OHH ahaha WHAT A COINCIDENCE THOUGH! That means that it most likely will come up then..seriously what your teacher said is EXACTLY what mine said..wooaahh freaky..LOL..I'm not confident about Blair mainly because I haven't finished my notes for blair, I have just about started, then I would have finished all my notes of, HOPEFULLY, today!

HOW ARE YOU TOLD TO STRUCTURE YOUR ESSAYS?????
Reply 10
OHH ahaha WHAT A COINCIDENCE THOUGH! That means that it most likely will come up then..seriously what your teacher said is EXACTLY what mine said..wooaahh freaky..LOL..I'm not confident about Blair mainly because I haven't finished my notes for blair, I have just about started, then I would have finished all my notes of, HOPEFULLY, today!

HOW ARE YOU TOLD TO STRUCTURE YOUR ESSAYS?????

Same with notes, barely know Blair at all, half-term will be fun!

As for structure, sort of like this:
Intro - address the question, set out argument clearly
Para 1 - Point (usually comes under foreign/economic/social/political), evidence, explanation(also relate back to question), interpretation (if possible).
Para 2- LINK point. Then same, Point, evidence, explanation, interpretation.
etc etc (I usually do 5 points ish...)
Argument will follow a for/against pattern I expect?
Then Conclusion - summing up your main argument, address question.
Same with notes, barely know Blair at all, half-term will be fun!

As for structure, sort of like this:
Intro - address the question, set out argument clearly
Para 1 - Point (usually comes under foreign/economic/social/political), evidence, explanation(also relate back to question), interpretation (if possible).
Para 2- LINK point. Then same, Point, evidence, explanation, interpretation.
etc etc (I usually do 5 points ish...)
Argument will follow a for/against pattern I expect?
Then Conclusion - summing up your main argument, address question.

Thank you very much. Yeah I'll try to do that :smile:
Reply 12
what about 1964-1970 - has that ever come up? i really hope it hasn't, it's my fave apart from foreign policy :biggrin:
Reply 13
Original post by ashleighjp
what about 1964-1970 - has that ever come up? i really hope it hasn't, it's my fave apart from foreign policy :biggrin:

It hasn't I don't think..could someone simplify the Rhodesia bit for me? :s-smilie: really struggling to get my head round that bit!
Reply 14
It hasn't I don't think..could someone simplify the Rhodesia bit for me? :s-smilie: really struggling to get my head round that bit!

ok i'll give it a shot.. during decolonisation wilson wouldn't give rhodesia independance unless it had a black majority rule, but ian smith wouldn't listen and baiscally announced it as independant from the commonwealth under a white minorty rule in 1965. this was seen as a direct challange to wilson's govt. talks with smith failed in 1966 (on HMS Tiger) and 1968 (HMS Fearless) and oil sancitions also failed. the fact that wilson couldn't find a solution upset labour left and the commonwealth, it made britain look weak.

it was under thatcher at a conference at Lancaster House in 1979 that it was agreed robert mugabe would take over and rhodesia would become zimbabwe.
this helped relations with black african states and the commonwealth e.g. president kaunda of zambia
in many ways britain's image was boosted after this.

hope that helped you :smile:) just a bit of outline info there you might not need to put in your essay
Reply 15
Original post by codle

General place for people doing this exam to stress/give advice/tips!
Anyone got any idea what is likely to be coming up?

Original post by codle

Original post by ashleighjp
ok i'll give it a shot.. during decolonisation wilson wouldn't give rhodesia independance unless it had a black majority rule, but ian smith wouldn't listen and baiscally announced it as independant from the commonwealth under a white minorty rule in 1965. this was seen as a direct challange to wilson's govt. talks with smith failed in 1966 (on HMS Tiger) and 1968 (HMS Fearless) and oil sancitions also failed. the fact that wilson couldn't find a solution upset labour left and the commonwealth, it made britain look weak.

it was under thatcher at a conference at Lancaster House in 1979 that it was agreed robert mugabe would take over and rhodesia would become zimbabwe.
this helped relations with black african states and the commonwealth e.g. president kaunda of zambia
in many ways britain's image was boosted after this.

hope that helped you :smile:) just a bit of outline info there you might not need to put in your essay

Thank you for making this thread and everyones help. I am really struggling with this paper and being able to revise for it.
My teacher also said foreign policies would come up along with Blair.

I am having problems trying to think of all the foreign policies from 1951-2007.

These are what i can think of, hope it helps :smile:

-India's independence with C.Attlee
-Korean War with W.Churchill
-Suez Crisis with A.Eden
-End of Empire; Decolonisation, Rhodesia (thank you ashleighjp for helping with that) for H.Macmillan :smile:
also with the EEC ?
- Vietnam war with H.Wilson
-Oil crisis with E.Heath
-Cannot think of anything for James Callaghan? any help ? :smile:
-Falklands war, Rhodesia with M Thatcher. (struggling with her as well) any help? :smile:
-Gulf war and Maastricht Treaty (need some help with that) with John Major
-Iraq, Northern Ireland, with T.Blair.

Thats all i can think of but they are not in great detail :frown:
Can any help me to understand the foreign policy behind the EEC? and any other foreign policy you can think of that im might be missing?

thank you :smile:

-
Reply 16
Original post by K_12
Thank you for making this thread and everyones help. I am really struggling with this paper and being able to revise for it.
My teacher also said foreign policies would come up along with Blair.

I am having problems trying to think of all the foreign policies from 1951-2007.

These are what i can think of, hope it helps :smile:

-India's independence with C.Attlee
-Korean War with W.Churchill
-Suez Crisis with A.Eden
-End of Empire; Decolonisation, Rhodesia (thank you ashleighjp for helping with that) for H.Macmillan :smile:
also with the EEC ?
- Vietnam war with H.Wilson
-Oil crisis with E.Heath
-Cannot think of anything for James Callaghan? any help ? :smile:
-Falklands war, Rhodesia with M Thatcher. (struggling with her as well) any help? :smile:
-Gulf war and Maastricht Treaty (need some help with that) with John Major
-Iraq, Northern Ireland, with T.Blair.

Thats all i can think of but they are not in great detail :frown:
Can any help me to understand the foreign policy behind the EEC? and any other foreign policy you can think of that im might be missing?

thank you :smile:

-

Missing the Balkans, Srebrenica etc from Blair. Also Thatcher's general policy on Europe? Not that I've gone through that bit yet :P
Reply 17
Missing the Balkans, Srebrenica etc from Blair. Also Thatcher's general policy on Europe? Not that I've gone through that bit yet :P

Thank you :smile:
I have no idea what happened in any of those :frown:
was the balkans when Blair helped in kosovo/sebia?

Reply 18
Original post by codle

My teacher said the same!

She came up with some questions as well, don't know if they will be of any use but here they are:
Britain's relationship with the US has enabled her to 'punch abover her weight' in foreign affairs. Assess the validity of this view 1951-2007.
Britain's relationship with Europe has had a significant economic and political impacts. Assess the validity of this view 1961-2007.

And then for Blair...
Blair promised much but delivered little. Assess the validity of this view in regards to Blair's time in government 1997-2007.
The weaknesses of the Conservatives 1992-2007 was the main reason for Labour victories not Tony Blair's strengths. Assess the validity of this view.

Has anyone else's teachers come up with anything?? Any other ideas for questions??????
I never wanted this exam to be here, but it's on Tuesday and I'm dreading it :frown: what does everyone think is gonna come on the exams? My teacher was hopeless and refused to tell us what was expected!! :angry:

Quick Reply

Latest