The Student Room Group

Axon diameter

Wondered why larger diameter of axon causes greater speed of transmission. :redface:

MS: "Less leakage of ions from wider axon"

Didn't quite get why less leakage.

+rep
Reply 1
With a larger diameter, there is less resistance. Hence increased conduction velocity

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-I9100
Original post by 007007
With a larger diameter, there is less resistance. Hence increased conduction velocity

Well I do understand that but I dind't understand the mark scheme ..
I wouldn't get the mark by saying anything else apart from that marking point..there is no AVP in the mark schem
Reply 3
Ok, well then I imagine that the larger size of axon entails a relatively lower surface area for ions to leak...?

Mark schemes are so restrictive

Original post by 007007
Ok, well then I imagine that the larger size of axon entails a relatively lower surface area for ions to leak...?

Larger size of axon gives lower SA? :s-smilie:

Mark schemes are so restrictive

I know right..:colone:
Reply 5
The surface area to volume ratio would be lower i think. Thats such an obscure answer though :s-smilie:
Reply 6
Surface area is basically the answer to every single question in biology
Reply 7
Original post by arvin_infinity
Wondered why larger diameter of axon causes greater speed of transmission. :redface:

MS: "Less leakage of ions from wider axon"

Didn't quite get why less leakage.

+rep

Basically, this is my interpretation after researching it, as I was confused like you are. Essentially what books say is the larger the diameter the faster an impulse is conducted because less leakage and ions have less resistance to movement.

I can only expand on my latter point. As the axon is wider, ions collide less when either being actively moved by the sodium-potassium pump or diffusing through the sodium or potassium channels, and so as there is less resistance (LIKE IN GEL ELECTROPHORESIS) the ions move faster, meaning adjacent regions depolarise at a faster rate i.e. impulse conducted at higher rate :smile:

Thats my detailed reason :smile:))
Reply 8
Is it a wjec question?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending