The Student Room Group

Marxism and Education??

What the marxist view on the sociology of education? I have an exam on friday and I realised I have no notes on this. help!
Reply 1
aprilshowers
What the marxist view on the sociology of education? I have an exam on friday and I realised I have no notes on this. help!

Basically they belive that the whole education system is totally mean on the working class (proletariat) - obviously though dont say mean!

A good Marxist to use is Engels and he basically says (as do all of them) that the education system mirrors that of working life and opresses the working class in the same ways.
For example the hierarchy of the headteachers and teachers etc is compared to having bosses and people above you who tell you what to do.

Marxists also say that the upper class or middle class benefit more from education and the way the national curriculum is run.
IE it is more suited to middle class children .... apparantly!!

Another thing you could add which is one I used a lot. They believe that the whole education system is pants because things like text books and extra stuff for school are only going to be able be bought by middle or upper class kids which means working class kids wont ever learn

Also add in all that stuff about labelling and how teachers discriminate against lower classes because of the past labels and stereotypes etc. Labelling theory is immense as you can write loads on that - check out the study by Rosenthal and Jacobsen (called pygmalion in the classroom) They werent marxists but its helpful to use as evidence for marxist theories.

And a conclusion could be something like Marxists think its just gona go round and round in a circle as nobody is going to change and we all hate working class in there views!
Obviously reword this though!!!

Oh and by the way I did that from my memory and I did Sociology of education in as about 2 years ago so year may awant to get a few more facts although I think everything i have written is true. Just to add I did actually get an A in this particular exam so you can trust me!

Ok now I really need some sleep my brain is burnt out!!
You better ace the exam now!:yep:
Good luck!:woo:
Reply 2
fabaz99
Basically they belive that the whole education system is totally mean on the working class (proletariat) - obviously though dont say mean!

A good Marxist to use is Engels and he basically says (as do all of them) that the education system mirrors that of working life and opresses the working class in the same ways.
For example the hierarchy of the headteachers and teachers etc is compared to having bosses and people above you who tell you what to do.

Marxists also say that the upper class or middle class benefit more from education and the way the national curriculum is run.

Another thing you could add which is one I used a lot. They believe that the whole education system is pants because things like text books and extra stuff for school are only going to be able be bought by middle or upper class kids which means working class kids wont ever learn

Also add in all that stuff about labelling and how teachers discriminate against lower classes because of the past labels and stereotypes etc. Labelling theory is immense as you can write loads on that - check out the study by Rosenthal and Jacobsen (called pygmalion in the classroom) They werent marxists but its helpful to use as evidence for marxist theories.

And a conclusion could be something like Marxists think its just gona go round and round in a circle as nobody is going to change and we all hate working class in there views!

Oh and by the way I did that from my memory and I did Sociology of education in as about 2 years ago so year may awant to get a few more facts although I think everything i have written is true. Just to add I did actually get an A in this particular exam so you can trust me!

This.

And since you got an exam, im guessing essays are involved.. Try and google marxist theories since you have no notes on it and get 3-4 Marxists e.g. Engels above and their theories on Education, write about 3-4 paragraphs on each sociologist and at the end of each paragraph do a little evaluation. End with your conclusion and voala! = A :biggrin: exams are more about HOW you write your essay than what you actually know! Good Luck!
Reply 3
A good read would be, Social Contract theory and Social Change theory (as explained by Marx, this is important because he has a more radical look at it than most Theorist) which will definitely have a correlation with what you have to work on.

good luck.
Marxism is fantastic. 100% theory so you know it's legit. Nothing like a theory which has never succeeded in practise to hold weight in this world.
Reply 5
Thanks for everyones help. I managed to e-mail my lecturer and he e-mailed me the notes so I'm cool. Not too worried about the exam now,got the notes and I know how to structure the essay. Going to talk about the hidden curriculum and Bowles and Gintis study "Schooling in Capitalist America". Going to research engles now. :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by fabaz99

Original post by fabaz99

do you by any chance have any references for this? this is great material to put in an essay yet i cant use it without references...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending