The Student Room Group

Wearing a dead person's clothes - bad luck?

As the question says. Is it wrong/weird to wear clothes that belonged to someone who has passed away, even if its to remember them etc?

Edit: ok not bad luck. But would it be considered weird??
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I don't think so. I mean, they don't need them any more, so why not make use of them or give them to charity?
Reply 2
I think wearing a dead person's clothes in order to remember them would constitute the "weird", tbh.
Reply 3
I don't think so. I'd imagine some stuff people buy from charity shops will have belonged to someone who is now dead.
Reply 4
Reply 5
I'd keep the stuff but wouldn't wear it...that would be too weird.
What if they become a zombie?
Surely it's enough just to keep them, why would you want to wear them??
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 8
I honestly don't think it's wierd. It's a nice way of having their memory continue on even after they are gone in my opinion. Never heard of any superstitions or anything about it either...
Maybe a bit weird if you knew them, but many who wear vintage clothes are wearing clothing which belonged to someone who is now dead.
Original post by facetious

They will come back to haunt you in your sleep!
Reply 11
Keep them in closet like he did

I don't think its bad luck. Other than maybe a piece of jewellery I wouldn't wear one though.
Not at all. After my nan passed away, my mum gave me some of her nice jumpers- they're lovely and warm.

We would have thrown them away otherwise, and I'm sure my nan would prefer that someone gets some use out of them!
Reply 14
Original post by zjs
I think wearing a dead person's clothes in order to remember them would constitute the "weird", tbh.

I didn't mean it like that. More for comfort and reassurance or whatever.
Don't think so, charity shops sometimes get donations of clothes belonging to people who died recently.
Reply 16
I wear my grandads jumper, I havn't got any bad luck
Reply 17
I would creep me out a little, I think.
One of my friends once made a cake and said "The jam in this is the last my grandma made." Completely freaked me out and I refused to eat a dead woman's jam. Wearing clothes of someone who has died is less weird than that.
Reply 19
I brought a jacket home from a charity shop I put it in my wardrobe I was going to wash it the next day even though it looked New.I took my lovely black pearl bracelet off with a diamonte in I loved that bracelet all of a sudden there was all like movement round my wardrobe, I went all cold and felt like my long hair was standing up on end the room went very cold and wen I went to put my bracelet in my jewellery box it had gone now to me that was very strange. I ran downstairs scared out of my own skin fetched my husky up the stairs he sat on the bed just staring at the wardrobe while he was with me I ran up to the wardrobe grabbed the jacket of the hanger and through it on the front path I av slept downstairs on the sofa tonight with my dogs. I told my son he said I was imagining things but I will never buy clothes from a charity shop again because I am certain I brought something with that coat and now I am to scared to go in my own bedroom without taking my husky up with me do you think the spirit is still in my house or did it go wen I through the coat out I am very nervous and scared now .?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending