The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Warwick Maths/MORSE/Stats applicants and questions 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Is Warwick's Stats department now the holder of the 'Highest UK offer' title???
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Reply 61
Original post by joshgoldman
Is Warwick's Stats department now the holder of the 'Highest UK offer' title???

Haha, A*(M)A*A* if you don't do FM :p:

You still will get A(M)AA 2/M at the same time. Just doing a STEP/AEA paper will lower your offer by 3 grades
Reply 62
for maths with stats, if you are doing double maths a level, what is the alternative STEP offer?

it just says A(M)AA 2
Reply 63
Original post by TheTallOne
Haha, A*(M)A*A* if you don't do FM :p:

You still will get A(M)AA 2/M at the same time. Just doing a STEP/AEA paper will lower your offer by 3 grades

I know it's somewhat crazy, I guess it's good that a department values FM (as much as most universities should???). Feel sorry for single mathematicians!
Original post by ilyking
for maths with stats, if you are doing double maths a level, what is the alternative STEP offer?

it just says A(M)AA 2

It is still that offer. So for you it'd be A(M)A(FM)A(Whatever else you're doing) + 2/M(STEP/AEA).
There's no different offer for double mathematicians taking STEP or AEA compared to single mathematicians as far as I know.
Reply 64
Original post by joshgoldman
It is still that offer. So for you it'd be A(M)A(FM)A(Whatever else you're doing) + 2/M(STEP/AEA).
There's no different offer for double mathematicians taking STEP or AEA compared to single mathematicians as far as I know.

that sucks! :mad:

completely illogical imo, double mathematicians + 2 in STEP carries equal waiting as single mathematicians + 2 in STEP

:dontknow:
Original post by ilyking
that sucks! :mad:

completely illogical imo, double mathematicians + 2 in STEP carries equal waiting as single mathematicians + 2 in STEP

:dontknow:

So basically if your a double mathematician don't do step
Reply 66
Original post by buttermints

Well it's still worth doing - I'm not sure if the Stats department (MORSE and Maths Stats) still pays you £££ for getting good STEP grades.

Btw for Maths students (that's Maths, Maths + Econ, Maths + Phil, Maths + BS), you will probably need to do STEP and get an A* or two. http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/fac/sci/maths/admissions/ug/offer/
Original post by buttermints

no,

as in, they should lower the req to A*AB + 2 if you have double maths. i.e. they should encourage STEP for all maths courses imo
how likely is it that someone would get rejected for MORSE if they are predicted A*A*A*A? i know they don't have a automatic offer thing like maths and now i'm worried :s-smilie:
Reply 69
Original post by Ilyas
no,

as in, they should lower the req to A*AB + 2 if you have double maths. i.e. they should encourage STEP for all maths courses imo

Well you're talking about MORSE/Maths Stats, which are actually part of the Stats department. Courses in the Maths department all require STEP/AEA.
Reply 70
Anyone got any idea when the first interview day was last year? As far as I've seen on here it was mid/late November. Is it true they're every week? Seems like a lot of offers given out as there must be at least 20 people at each one and they run til the end of Spring term (mid march)
Help!!!, Im not sure how to write a personal statement for MORSE and financial mathematics without mentioning them both
Reply 72
Original post by Sinx2010ghana
Help!!!, Im not sure how to write a personal statement for MORSE and financial mathematics without mentioning them both
If you just write a personal statement for financial mathematics, with some subtle hints of statistics/economics relevence then you should have a statement that is pretty handy for MORSE! The department don't expect a statement covering all areas simply due to the fact the the course is (almost) unique.
Reply 73
I've submitted my application for MMORSE; PS geared towards Economics but a with a paragraph on mathematics. Would that be fine?
Reply 74
Original post by jhthed
I've submitted my application for MMORSE; PS geared towards Economics but a with a paragraph on mathematics. Would that be fine?

i am applying for MORSE,my PS is quite like yours,for academic part,75% about economics and 25% about mathematics,i did so because i heard someone wrote mainly about econ still got in.but i am still quite worried :frown:due to it's looked by statistics tutors.looking for the answer as well.:smile:
Reply 75
I don't mean to sound impatient, but on average, how long have people had to wait for their Maths (or Maths + Econ, Maths + Phil, Maths + BS) offer?

I'm genuinely scared I'll get rejected now.
Original post by Ree69
I don't mean to sound impatient, but on average, how long have people had to wait for their Maths (or Maths + Econ, Maths + Phil, Maths + BS) offer?

I'm genuinely scared I'll get rejected now.

Calm down. It's only October. The deadline for applications hasn't even passed. Offers have been handed out for a decently broad range of time. Some of us got offers quite early while others got them quite late.
How quickly do Warwick give out acknowledgements?
Have applied for 5 maths courses but am considering switching one of them for MORSE. My personal statement is basically all maths, with a small paragraph on maths in finance. Would this be an issue or do they understand that people will not be able to gear their p.s. towards a unique course such as morse?
Reply 79
Original post by carlos the third

Original post by carlos the third
Have applied for 5 maths courses but am considering switching one of them for MORSE. My personal statement is basically all maths, with a small paragraph on maths in finance. Would this be an issue or do they understand that people will not be able to gear their p.s. towards a unique course such as morse?

According to http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/fac/sci/statistics/courses/faq/#personal_statement this is what they say:

Don't worry! Both Mathematics and Statistics and MORSE are fundamentally mathematical degree courses (but carefully designed for students who wish to learn the kind of mathematics that is directly relevant to the wider world of commerce, science, government, etc.). Interest in probability and statistical methods is highly desirable of course, but a key quality found in our most successful students is general ability in Mathematics. If your personal statement emphasizes mainly or exclusively your mathematical interests and achievements, that is likely to count positively.

Quick Reply

Latest