The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

President_Ben
I see problems emerging :wink:
:eek: well we need a team leader!

*thwacks* Whatever, Dulwich boy! :p:
Reply 21
President_Ben
1 can be very tricky what with a variety of indicators and an increasing amount of evidence you see from econometrics studies that challenge the conventional wisdoms. 2 is fairly straight forward. 3 is a case of finding a nice and advanced textbook to examine when protectionist trade policy can work - and work well.

I disagree on 3. I think they're going to want a more intuitive answer, based more on examples and reality than economic theory. This isn't a test for economists only. I love the questions, however 2 is a little misquoted. The quote related to it's shareholders, which doesn't make much difference, but I would answer very differently for a family firm or a collectively-owned firm than for a publicly quoted one.
Megsy
:eek: well we need a team leader!

*thwacks* Whatever, Dulwich boy! :p:

Are you from Virgin Megastore Jags or something?

--------------

Drogue
I disagree on 3. I think they're going to want a more intuitive answer, based more on examples and reality than economic theory.

There are plenty of real examples were tariffs can work for you. More game theory driven than ye olde linear graph analysis with liberal amounts of real politik thrown in.

This isn't a test for economists only. I love the questions, however 2 is a little misquoted. The quote related to it's shareholders, which doesn't make much difference, but I would answer very differently for a family firm or a collectively-owned firm than for a publicly quoted one.

2 is a very interesting question. Could go in all sorts of directions. Sort of thing you end up engineering to the UBS culture and values though (bit of a gamble to do that though!)
President_Ben
Are you from Virgin Megastore Jags or something?
Nah. Just know some interesting stories and people from Dulwich, 'sall. :smile:
Reply 24
I'm always unsure of UBS's values, they espouse different things than they do. They're both good, they're just not aligned well, it seems.
Drogue
I'm always unsure of UBS's values, they espouse different things than they do. They're both good, they're just not aligned well, it seems.

Well, they've just gone through (another!) major restructure which sees yet more moves of staff to head up all the fresh new business units.

All part of the drive to de-Swiss and make more moves into the USA.

UBS has a history of being merged heavily - so a lack of a clear unified value set is expected (and in fact, something that about them which is almost appealling - not saying I lack values... err...). Though this process seems to be coming to a close.
You could say that GS are part of the Global Bulge Bracket (the biggest IBs in the world). Even though it might be stating the obvious, it's an opportunity to show you're not clueless. It's a clever way of saying you chose them because they're big in the IB sector (which probably is the main reason).
SamTheMan
You could say that GS are part of the Global Bulge Bracket (the biggest IBs in the world). Even though it might be stating the obvious, it's an opportunity to show you're not clueless. It's a clever way of saying you chose them because they're big in the IB sector (which probably is the main reason).

What does big mean? :confused:

Big size of deals? Big volume? Big balance sheet?

Out of their promotional material:

"wants to provide the most important transactions for the world’s most important clients"

A whole new kind of big :smile:

(I'm being such a pedant, sorry :redface: )
Reply 28
JonnyB
I'd go and ask him to come up and type what he did, but he'd tell me to **** off. He doesn't work there anymore anyway, things may have changed - I doubt it though.

they work crazy hard. My dad is a vice president in the SF branch, but they snagged him from a different company so he bypassed the whole hell stage that his young associates are going through right now. He tells he stories about what they are going through so that they can put Goldman on their resume. If they make it through, though, there are amazing perks.

Did you know that Goldman bought the last Harry Potter movie, or something like that? We all got to see it early :biggrin:
dede
they work crazy hard. My dad is a vice president in the SF branch, but they snagged him from a different company so he bypassed the whole hell stage that his young associates are going through right now. He tells he stories about what they are going through so that they can put Goldman on their resume. If they make it through, though, there are amazing perks.

Did you know that Goldman bought the last Harry Potter movie, or something like that? We all got to see it early :biggrin:

Hello,

Would you please ask your dad to recommend and give me a job? :wink: :smile:

Thank you, kind regards and best wishes :biggrin:
Reply 30
ha ... nice try.

I can just see the recommendation now, "So my daughter met this guy on an internet forum, she says he'd be a great addition, howza bout we give him a job?"
Reply 31
Chica! give me the job..

I'm young, handsome, intelligent, poor.. perfect guy for you and the job. Not to mention my cheesy-ness.

xxx
Reply 32
Did you know that Goldman bought the last Harry Potter movie, or something like that? We all got to see it early
as much as harry potter is popular one would hope the perks get a little more tangable :smile: .
massimo
as much as harry potter is popular one would hope the perks get a little more tangable :smile: .

Yep, parties in the head office where you can take your kids in.

It was a surreal sight when I saw clowns wondering around the head office of Goldman Sachs and children with face painting sitting in front of 6 monitors on the trading floor. There were even those yellow and red fisher price toy cars holding the doors open.

Give me one of those over a Ferrari any day :cool:
Reply 34
Megsy
well we need a team leader!

And how is our team leader's report coming along? I came back from holiday to find my inbox conspicuously missing it.
Amrad
And how is our team leader's report coming along? I came back from holiday to find my inbox conspicuously missing it.

Why doesn't this surprise me :rolleyes: :biggrin:
walshie
Even the women who think they have a point to prove and are all on power trips.
!

How do you know?
Amrad

darling, i am not going to argue with you on an internet forum, but i have very valid reasons for not doing it. plus, you forget who has to do all of the profeshy designing - hello!
Reply 38
I would say that Goldman Sachs is special not only for all the reasons mentioned in terms of perfomance, elitism etc, but by virtue of it being the most well known investment bank to those not in the industry, works the same way as sportspeople known to the general public.
Reply 39
Working for GS is certainly special, but isn't working for Citigroup considered just as good? Citigroup is huge, it does Investment Banking among many other things.

Also, look at Citigroup's revenue, and profits compared to GS. Although, to be fair, GS has far fewer employees than Citigroup.

Latest

Trending

Trending