The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 4000
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Tried repping Craggy on your behalf and it actually worked! :eek2:

How's your cat and family doing? :hugs:

Heh heh rep by proxy :biggrin:

Kitty is....ok. He seems happy enough and he's eating, but he sounds bad breathing and keeps shedding hair (even though it's getting into winter and cold here) so :sad: not sure how long he really has. He's also stopped wandering -clearly doesn't have the strength to get into fights with other cats - and spends all his time around us now. He's always been affectionate but there's a bit of neediness now too so I guess he senses it as well. So we're just giving him lots of love and fish while we can!
Original post by sj27
Heh heh rep by proxy :biggrin:

Kitty is....ok. He seems happy enough and he's eating, but he sounds bad breathing and keeps shedding hair (even though it's getting into winter and cold here) so :sad: not sure how long he really has. He's also stopped wandering -clearly doesn't have the strength to get into fights with other cats - and spends all his time around us now. He's always been affectionate but there's a bit of neediness now too so I guess he senses it as well. So we're just giving him lots of love and fish while we can!

Poor little thing :frown: Glad he's getting plenty of TLC though: am sure it gives him comfort, especially if he senses it too :hugs:
Didn't get BBC internship :no: :cry2: :nopity:
Reply 4003

Aw :hugs:
Original post by sj27
Aw :hugs:

Thanks. Bit gutted but doing better than I would have expected. Just waiting for feedback, which should come in around 2 weeks' time :yes:

Looks like plans for world domination and PC Cert in Religion is on hold indefinitely. Again :sigh:
Reply 4005

Aww, sorry. :frown: :console:
Hope you get useful feedback at least.
Reply 4006
Original post by Craghyrax
It is common sense but a lot of people in the social sciences disagree with 'common sense' for various reasons. So it becomes important to actually stress the common sense when people are fond of incorrect views about social nature.
As to psychological research, there has been research to back up the idea of habitus. I'd be happy to send you an article if you were interested.
I would love it if every discipline were on top of research in all the others, but I think that's not practical or plausible. Bourdieu was an anthropologist and sociologist (who originally trained as a philosopher). It would be difficult for him to do neuroscience research without changing career, which is really where a lot of the hard evidence we needs comes from.
And actually a lot of the points underpinning his theory don't need evidence to back them up because they are things we can agree a priori about the social world.

I would see the theory as a useful starting point and have written on several occasions regarding how we need to try and create bridges between neuroscience and social science in order to fine tune the theory we draw on. At least Bourdieu's account goes into psychological concerns rather than ignoring them, as most other social theories do, when its obvious that they play an important role.

I'd love some of the research, definitely. :yep: That'd be lovely, thanks.

Also, I just really agree with everything you've written here, so there's not much to say. I might need to deal with Bourdieu later in my research in regards to identity formation through repeated storytelling, but we shall see. I might have to tackle his ideas on capital as well.

On that note, I'm just getting ready for a summer's worth of field work. Will be exciting. :excited:
i wish there was a way to bitchslap people over the internet...
Reply 4008
Original post by flying plum

Assuming you're talking about who I think you are, give him an extra hard one from me too :devil: in the meantime, we can just neg...
Reply 4009
Original post by The Lyceum
Lol here at Ox first year DPhil and second year MPhil students can teach, providing they've spent some time at the uni before (e.g transitioning onto the DPhil from being an MSt here, the MPhil is 2 years etc). This is a bit scary, I've met the kinds of students we have here. They're not very bright, if I was taught by them I'd get pissed off. This is the Classics dept obviously.

Seriously though, I like some of these people but they just don't have enough knowledge to be imparting anything on a professional level. I think in general the dept here is quite willy nilly with a lot of stuff like that though. To be fair if I was a tenured academic I probably wouldn't give a crap about anything, ever.

I, for one, would be a terrible teacher. I would basically be Dr Cox mixed with with...Ned Flanders.

Here in Iceland, we have masters students teaching, not as the main teacher, or just graduated masters students. In fact, I was taught for a few classes in a module by a woman I was in another module with. It's very common over here. Hell, it's been suggested that I teach a class in one module on Irish and Scottish folklore, giving the students a basic of Irish history, and I've only just been accepted.

In fairness, is a bit smaller than other places and only started doing PhDs relatively recently, so they don't have the same size of applicants as other places do for teaching positions.

Original post by Craghyrax
I suspect that my career might trump. Its difficult to tell though. I really don't want to have to decide between the two things. My partner would always come first, but I don't know whether I'd have kids.

Right now, career comes first for me, as I'm single, but it is something I think about. I've already moved to Iceland, I don't really like the idea of having to move back to the UK or to Finland, the USA or somewhere in Scandinavia, even though I'm aware I might have to to get a job in my field.

I've already started building my CV, nothing much, but something.

Awwwww. :hugs:

Original post by flying plum

Anyone I know that I can neg? Not to be taken seriously. :ninjagirl:
(edited 11 years ago)

Sorry to hear that :frown: But the interview will have been good experience. And you still did fantastically well to get to the interview stage!
Reply 4011
Original post by Hylean

Anyone I know that I can neg?

Are we allowed to solicit negs here? :eek:
Reply 4012
Original post by sj27
Are we allowed to solicit negs here? :eek:

No, sadly not, as far as I'm aware, but I feel the need to vent. But yeah, no asking us to neg peoples.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Feefifofum
Sorry to hear that :frown: But the interview will have been good experience. And you still did fantastically well to get to the interview stage!

Thank you :hugs:
Original post by Hylean
now, career comes first for me, as I'm single, but it is something I think about. I've already moved to Iceland, I don't really like the idea of having to move back to the UK or to Finland, the USA or somewhere in Scandinavia, even though I'm aware I might have to to get a job in my field.

Possible move to Norway on the cards? :colone:
Reply 4015
Original post by Becca
Possible move to Norway on the cards? :colone:

Could be. Scandinavia in general isn't so bad for Folkloristics and Ethnography in general. My research interests would take me elsewhere, preferably, but if Norway offered me decent money... :dontknow:

Would mean we could finally meet. :gah:
Original post by Hylean
Could be. Scandinavia in general isn't so bad for Folkloristics and Ethnography in general. My research interests would take me elsewhere, preferably, but if Norway offered me decent money... :dontknow:

Would mean we could finally meet. :gah:

That would be awesome. Won't get my hopes up though.

Just came back from the staff summer party. Was SO much better than last year - back then I barely knew anyone, was pretty shy at work because of my norsk skills and left the party at about 10 because I got too tired from speaking Norwegian all evening. Now I just chatted to all my lovely colleagues :biggrin:
Reply 4017
Original post by Becca
That would be awesome. Won't get my hopes up though.

I will actually have to come out there in the next few years. Got quite a few friends, including you, that I haven't seen in ages and I have never visited Norway, so. Hmmm, next summer, maybe? Nice wee holiday?

Original post by Becca
Just came back from the staff summer party. Was SO much better than last year - back then I barely knew anyone, was pretty shy at work because of my norsk skills and left the party at about 10 because I got too tired from speaking Norwegian all evening. Now I just chatted to all my lovely colleagues :biggrin:

Awww, yay. How is your Norwegian now? My Icelandic seems to have improved immensely these past two years, even the Icelanders have commented on it.
Original post by Hylean
I will actually have to come out there in the next few years. Got quite a few friends, including you, that I haven't seen in ages and I have never visited Norway, so. Hmmm, next summer, maybe? Nice wee holiday?

Awww, yay. How is your Norwegian now? My Icelandic seems to have improved immensely these past two years, even the Icelanders have commented on it.

Norway is a pretty cool place to go on holiday IMO. Let me know :biggrin:

Actually, at the party last night someone commented on how much my Norwegian had improved since the last party lol. I feel fluent. I don't know if I think in Norwegian all the time, but I do when I'm at work!
Reply 4019
If anyone has access to these I would appreciate it...

A Practical Guide to the Comparative Case Study Method in Political Psychology
Juliet Kaarbo and Ryan K. Beasley
Political Psychology
Vol. 20, No. 2 (Jun., 1999), pp. 369-391

Cross-National Statistical Research and the Study of Comparative Politics
Robert W. Jackman
American Journal of Political Science
Vol. 29, No. 1 (Feb., 1985), pp. 161-182

Comparing and miscomparing
G Sartori
Journal of Theoretical Politics
July 1991 vol. 3 no. 3 243-257