The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 7880
It was a terrible episode. One of the earliest ones filmed. Look at Matt and Karens performance in that compared to now. Huge improvement.
Original post by Feefifofum
Because everyone else I have ever spoken to about it has thought it was a terrible episode and that the Daleks were so completely unthreatening that no-one could take them seriously. They looked like Teletubbies.

They seemed very threatening,when the Doctor was talking to them in the Tardis Scanner and why is the fact they had different colours,make them not very frightening-I bet you would be frightened if an army of extremely pale,white,half white-half black,black and really black people were invading your street.
I just don't find the Daleks very scary. :dontknow:

Bring back the gas mask children! (Not really as wouldn't want them to be ruined like the weeping angels)
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by spacepirate-James
I just don't find the Daleks very scary. :dontknow:

Bring back the gas mask children! (Not really as wouldn't want them to be ruined like the weeping angels)

I don't find the new Daleks very scary-thats not the point of them or the show generally,none of the monsters are really very scary and the gas mask children was a very silly Doctor Who monster idea.
Reply 7884
Original post by Dalek1099
I don't find the new Daleks very scary-thats not the point of them or the show generally,none of the monsters are really very scary and the gas mask children was a very silly Doctor Who monster idea.

I'm going to just assume you're trolling from now on :h:
Reply 7885
Original post by Aula
I'm going to just assume you're trolling from now on :h:

I've been doing that for the last 6 months :u:
Original post by Dalek1099
They seemed very threatening,when the Doctor was talking to them in the Tardis Scanner and why is the fact they had different colours,make them not very frightening-I bet you would be frightened if an army of extremely pale,white,half white-half black,black and really black people were invading your street.

:rofl3:
Reply 7887
how could someone say the gas mask children were a bad doctor who idea :frown: do you have no soul?
Original post by boba
how could someone say the gas mask children were a bad doctor who idea :frown: do you have no soul?

Them and the weeping angels were the scariest monsters of the revived series - both a bit too "real" for my liking.
Reply 7889
Okay, okay, okay. Hello! I have literally just signed up for this website, and the second thing I've done (aside from posting the whole introductory post) is look for a Doctor Who thread, and I have so many feels now! Doctor Who seems to be one of the most important things in my life and I'm fangirling like crazy, especially as the new series is just about to come out. So, hello! I'm Chloe, it's nice to meet you all. My favourite Doctor is Eleven and I think my favourite companion so far is Donna, with Amy and Martha coming in close second. I've been told I look a little like the new companion, Jenna-Louise Coleman, and I genuinely cannot wait to meet her, even if I know I'm going to miss the Ponds. c:
Original post by Faberrys
Okay, okay, okay. Hello! I have literally just signed up for this website, and the second thing I've done (aside from posting the whole introductory post) is look for a Doctor Who thread, and I have so many feels now! Doctor Who seems to be one of the most important things in my life and I'm fangirling like crazy, especially as the new series is just about to come out. So, hello! I'm Chloe, it's nice to meet you all. My favourite Doctor is Eleven and I think my favourite companion so far is Donna, with Amy and Martha coming in close second. I've been told I look a little like the new companion, Jenna-Louise Coleman, and I genuinely cannot wait to meet her, even if I know I'm going to miss the Ponds. c:

Hi Chloe! Nice to have another Whovian in our midsts. You'll find the level of fanaticism varies in this thread from person-to-person. :tongue:
Reply 7891
Original post by Hype en Ecosse
Hi Chloe! Nice to have another Whovian in our midsts. You'll find the level of fanaticism varies in this thread from person-to-person. :tongue:
Oh! Well, I can assure you that I am a very big Whovian myself, and have been since the '05 revival. But, hello there! xD
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Faberrys
Well, as you may find, I am one of those crazily obsessed Whovians, oops. Still, it's nice to meet you!

Just a heads-up, the reason your post didn't appear immediately was because you are a new member and you had a link in your post (the image) which is moderated before it appears. It's only temporary and should stop happening when you've made more posts. Don't think your post has been lost, which I think you might have judging by the duplicate post you made. :tongue:

And welcome to the thread! Do stick around. :h:

Original post by Alofleicester
Them and the weeping angels were the scariest monsters of the revived series - both a bit too "real" for my liking.

Yeah, the Weeping Angels were some really clever and effective monsters, not just within the realm of Doctor Who but as far as general fantasy goes but I think that was mostly confined to the Blink episode. I didn't feel the same after that Series 5 two parter with them, I think that really diminished them as monsters.
Reply 7893
Original post by Ape Gone Insane
Just a heads-up, the reason your post didn't appear immediately was because you are a new member and you had a link in your post (the image) which is moderated before it appears. It's only temporary and should stop happening when you've made more posts. Don't think your post has been lost, which I think you might have judging by the duplicate post you made. :tongue:

Oh, yes. I did think that was the reason but I think I deleted the duplicated post. C: Sorry for the mistake! But I will most definitely stick around. Thank you for the understanding, and for the welcome!

Yeah, the Weeping Angels were some really clever and effective monsters, not just within the realm of Doctor Who but as far as general fantasy goes but I think that was mostly confined to the Blink episode. I didn't feel the same after that Series 5 two parter with them, I think that really diminished them as monsters.

Oh aye, the two parter was a bit weird, but Blink - they were something else, for an episode with pretty much no doctor that was top notch.

Now then - I'm disappointed. My parents have a fancy-dress party on saturday evening, at the space centre, with a sci-fi theme, and they've not gone for a doctor + assistant style.

I think a lot of it has to do with them being made to look much weaker than they are in that two parter. In Blink they were bloody terrifying, it was blink and you're dead. In the forest they were pretty rubbish. Amy being able to navigate through them with her eyes closed because they'd think she could see, not being anywhere near as fast as previously or as able to punish mistakes (even though they managed to kill a few people this time), and they...they just felt nerfed. Maybe you could argue that it's because that was them just regaining their energy so weren't able to be as efficient, but even then, pretty rubbish.
I think that the two parter in Series 5 made them more terrifying tbh. The fact that they can get into your mind when you look at them is terrifying in itself.

The two parter ruined their dramatic effect, but that's a different thing.
Original post by Colonel.
I think that the two parter in Series 5 made them more terrifying tbh. The fact that they can get into your mind when you look at them is terrifying in itself.

The two parter ruined their dramatic effect, but that's a different thing.

I totally agree with the first statement. That was one(two) of my favourite episodes. I think making them 'look weaker' was meant to show how much bigger the crack was and how hard it'll be to stop it if even the weeping angels are pathetic in comparison.
But tbh I think the silence are the scariest of them all because they're so freaking realistic and like we could've just seen one and dont remember. Couldn't sleep the night I watched the first episode with them!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

What was naff about it the second time was the whole let's not send them back in time to feed off the energy we actually need but instead let's just snap necks. :lolwut:

Original post by Colonel.

Oh yeah that was quite frightening. :afraid:
I speculate...

Spoiler

(edited 11 years ago)

Latest