The Student Room Group

Manchester dental school

MDS says it wants its applicants to have 2 weeks work experience with a general practitioner of dentistry, but what if im in a place where i cant get work experience? im an international student :/
Reply 1
You need work experience before applying to any dental school..I am an international student & got into manchester this year & at the interview I was asked questions which I was only able to answer because I went for work experience.. I would suggest you look around & try as much as you can to get work experience.. there has to be a place in your country where you can go & witness a dental clinic.. xanother option you have is get work experience in a different country
Im the same situation but the only difference is that I'm still doing A levels. I have virtually rang up every single dental surgery in town and no one seems to do work exp :frown: But I'm not an international student though. Anyways good luck with it :smile:
Reply 3
You have to be 18 here, and by then its too late for me to apply for work exp, or else my personal statement would be rushed. oh my god im so screwed :frown:
Reply 4
Original post by kinglynx
You have to be 18 here, and by then its too late for me to apply for work exp, or else my personal statement would be rushed. oh my god im so screwed :frown:

maybe you could try explaining them your situation & then they'll be able to help you out..or may be use your contacts ie. maybe your parents knows someone around & may be they could just talk to them personally
Original post by Nav_Mallhi
Im the same situation but the only difference is that I'm still doing A levels. I have virtually rang up every single dental surgery in town and no one seems to do work exp :frown: But I'm not an international student though. Anyways good luck with it :smile:

If you're struggling to find work experience in your town, you might have to travel further for it. Try big cities near to your town, who will have a lot of Dental surgeries that you can ring up. I took nearly an hours train ride each day for one of my work experience placements :smile:
Reply 6
No the whole countries policy is no work experience pretty much, same with part time jobs , they dont exist... its UAE... so yeah
Original post by racheatworld
If you're struggling to find work experience in your town, you might have to travel further for it. Try big cities near to your town, who will have a lot of Dental surgeries that you can ring up. I took nearly an hours train ride each day for one of my work experience placements :smile:

Yeah I could try doing that. But this work exp. thing really pissed me off! Thanks for the advice though :smile:
Original post by Nav_Mallhi

The advice of racheatworld about going to cities near by is good, and I had to travel for alot of my work experience as well! Don't just ring dental practices, go in and ask them. Be prepared for them to say no, but don't let it get you down. Just move on and ask the next dental practice!!
Reply 9
Original post by kinglynx
No the whole countries policy is no work experience pretty much, same with part time jobs , they dont exist... its UAE... so yeah

Quick Reply

Latest