The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
And isnt there any website which has a record of a huge number of universities so that i can simply search courses and simply get information as to the Fees and other information? Because searching from google is just too hectic. Too many universities and its just confusing me.
Scotland is a part of the UK, as is Northern Ireland.

Why not think of places you would like to go to. Saying 'anywhere that speaks English and is cheap' really doesn't narrow anything down. In fact, you're not going to get a cheap university education when you are an international student and you have to take into account accommodation and living fees.

Why not work for a few years and earn money and then see about getting a degree? That way you won't have to worry as much about fees.
University is free for everyone in Sweden.
Reply 43
"Scotland is a part of the UK, as is Northern Ireland."

I know .. But i was wondering that maybe by any chance they might have less fees :P.. Well i cant explain my situation and even if i could i dont think alot of people would be able to understand it. So there is a good reason why i want to go abroad for my studies. I obviously wish to go to some good University but my parents cant pay 10 thousand pounds an year. Plus even if i work for 2 years i dont think ill have enough money to pay 10 thousand pounds for the next 3 years would i? Unless ofcourse maybe if i starve myself :biggrin:..

"University is free for everyone in Sweden."
That sounds interesting. Let me look it up then .. thanks
Reply 44
alamode
And isnt there any website which has a record of a huge number of universities so that i can simply search courses and simply get information as to the Fees and other information? Because searching from google is just too hectic. Too many universities and its just confusing me.

Have you tried the obvious place?
Reply 45
They paid for you to go to an international school so they must be pretty wealthy.
alamode
I know .. But i was wondering that maybe by any chance they might have less fees :P..

No, not by any significant amount.

I obviously wish to go to some good University but my parents cant pay 10 thousand pounds an year. Plus even if i work for 2 years i dont think ill have enough money to pay 10 thousand pounds for the next 3 years would i? Unless ofcourse maybe if i starve myself :biggrin:..

If you were to work full time for a few years you'd be able to earn a good amount of money which could help pay for your course. Is there any reason why you can't wait a few years before starting a course? Sometimes sacrifices have to be made and if you really want to do the course you'd work towards being able to.
Reply 47
Hmm, you do know the average wage in Pakistan is like 2 k a year?
Well his parents must be earning, surely they'll have contacts and be able to get him a job earning a bit more?

In the vast majority of cases university education cannot be handed on a plate and sacrifices and/or compromises must be made.
Reply 49
A bit more means like 5 k, and thats still not enough.
Reply 50
Well my parents can definately get me a job my dad has his own company but i dont really see many 19 year olds working here in pakistan. Things work differently here. Not many 18 or 19 year olds work over here and even if i were to get a job i dont see what would i do? I mean yeah in america you could be a cab driver or you could work at Mc Donalds etc etc .. But in here these sort of things dont have the same reputation as in America. Plus neither do they earn the same amount over here.

And ucas is for UK universities .. I couldnt find any UK engineering university which was cheap enough for me. So i was wondering if there was any site with information about all universities from Europe and America etc.
Reply 51
I think you're searching for something that doesn't exist. University fees are expensive, and you can't wriggle out of that fact.
Reply 52
Oh almost forgot. I have 2 brothers in the States. One has done Masters in Civil Engineering from US and lives in Baltimore and other has done Masters in Networking or something like that and lives in Chicago. They have been living there for quite some time i think around 7-8 years now. Can they be of any help if i go to the US? I heard from someone if you have relatives in the country you are going to study then you might not have to pay the fees for International Students.
Reply 53
alamode,

Why won't you try going to a university in the Philippines? I'm serious. Some of the universities there are really, really good and English is widely spoken. The cost is very affordable too. A bachelor's degree in engineering (any field) would cost around 800 Pounds per year at a best institution.

The technique is this: study undergrad in the Philippines, get an excellent mark then proceed to grad school in the UK. It's cheaper that way and the knowledge gained is just the same.

I can recommend some high quality engineering schools in the Philippines. Here's the list in order of prestige and academic quality:

Tier -1
1. The University of the Philippines at Diliman - www.upd.edu.ph
2. De La Salle University at Manila - www.dlsu.edu.ph
3. University of the Philippines at Los Bnos - www.uplb.edu.ph

Tier - 2
1. Ateneo de Manila University
2. Mapua Institute of Technology
3. Mindanao State University at Iligan
4. University of San Carlos at Cebu
5. University of Santo Tomas

If you can get into at any of the in tier 1, you'll be in good hands. They hve the best reputation, best faculty, best undergraduate experience, best facilities, best alumni network and best placement for grad schools abroad. Tier 2 schools in my list are also very good schools. Again, none of these schools charge more than 1k Pounds per year. The cost in living in the Philippines, in general, is not that high too.

Good luck!
Why not try an independent university like the University of Buckingham. They offer degree programmes over 2 years instead of 3 - the overall fees are something like £24000 - £27000. The advantage is that you save on the living costs by not needing a 3rd year.
Why not go to India? They've got some really good unis there.
Reply 56
All the top universities in India have entry exams, and the IIT one is notoriously hard as the acceptance rate is less than 1%.
Reply 57
-University of Wales Institute, Cardiff
Mechanical Systems Engineering (3 years)
Course fee £7400 - £7900

-University of Glamorgan
Mechanical and Manufacturing Engineering
Course fee £9000

-University of Wales Swansea
Mechanical Engineering
Course fee £8240 - £10700

-Swansea Institute
Mechanical & Manufacturing Engineering
Course fee £6950

-Coventry University
Communications Engineering
Course fee £7500

-The University of Bolton
Mechanical Engineering
Course fee £7200

man...your options are really narrowed down. why don't you have a chat with your brothers in the states and see what they suggest?
Reply 58
Thanks for the last few posts.. They've really helped me.

I dont really talk to my brothers alot and they call home pretty rarely. I will discuss with them when they call again but i certainly dont want to live with them. I dont go along with them and i want to live alone or share my apartment with a person going to the same university as me.
Reply 59
one quick question:
have you tried FAST in Pakistan ..or does it not suit?

ps: I cant believe people in Pakistan support Man U. god. lol
normaly they're mad about cricket...but seeing the state of our cricket team...all I can sya is "peace be upon them"... anyway

Latest

Trending

Trending