The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 320
Joshilini
Oh right. There were only about 15 people in the hall (and 2 were doing a Film Studies exam). The invigilators just said once you're done you can go (after the first hour is up).

I'm guessing the people who left early either found the exam easy, underestimated the exam questions or just got bored.

My mate finished in an hour because he didn't most of the questions because he didnt revise. That might be the case.
Reply 321
I didn't really like the paper. Question 1 was horrible, question 2 and the essay were ok. I did the energy transfer one and wrote about food chains, energy loss at each level, photosynthesis, respiration (very briefly), uses of ATP (muscle contraction, active transport etc.) and a bit about heat loss.
Reply 322
Joshilini
Was anybody worried about people leaving early during this exam? I think the first person left around an hour in?!

I always work right until the end but my friends always come out saying "I finished after an hour!"/"I had half an hour at the end with nothing to do!" and I just stare at them.
Reply 323
jaison2
blue.... hahahaha.. sorry man just made me laugh.... lol

Lol i know it was a stupid answer! But it was the first thing that came to mind...! I think I did good in the water essay though, eventhough I forgot about hydrolysis(which many people seeem to have too)
Reply 324
moves-my-world
Testing the strength of the colour is correct, definitely. The same question is pretty much asked in my notes.

:yy:

I'm glad. That's what I wrote. Should be at least 2/3 of those marks in the bag. I need every mark I can get from Section A because of how shoddy my essay ended up.
1 i) What nutrient in ash [1]
carbon - nice one, Jess!
ii) Why did scientists in second group get lwoer reading[1]
Something about not all nitrogen comes from amino acids, can't remember my example
iii) Different RQ between seal and rhino[3]
Same...rhino 0.7 for lipids and sea lion 1.0 for carbohydrates.
iv) compare different strength of reducing sugar[3]
Add and heat samples of each with Benedicts. Reducing sugars would go red, however the test is marginally quantitative therefore the intensity and darkness of the red indicated which sample has more reducing sugars in comparison to the rest...then I added the whole thing about having to prepare sucrose before you can test it (Im pretty sure I was waffling by this poin!)
v) Why per pup?[1]
A mother rat would produce more milk if she has had more offspring despite the test conditions or something
vi) Does smoking stop milk?[3]
Standard deviations overlap...the lowest value for C (I think) is only 0.1 above the lowest for A...therefore can't make a fair conclusion...and then I added about doing a chi-squared test to find out if the results were due to chance or not? Not sure about that - but I swear examiners love chi-squared.
vii) How is control group treated[2]
Exactly the same as the control group except not injected with the hormone, injected with the solvent the hormone is in instead?
viii) Why same breed[2]
Some breeds might be naturally better milk yielders and some naturally lower. Make results unfair.
X)why was it not oxy... released[3]
I said something about the time delay meant that the increased milk yield was indirectly connected to the hormone, not directly...probably ********.
xi) Vasoconstriction of arterioles limiting milk[2]
Less oxygen/glucose available to the respiring tissues of those cells to produce ATP for the synthesis of milk.

2i) two uses of polysacc[2]
cellulose, starch
ii) ruminant digestion, how does bacteria help[2]
Bacteria convert cellulose and the urea in the ruminant into proteins/carbohydrates by enzymes.
Then that when they die the ruminant can digest them and get their proteins

iii) bird living in rainforest, bird being big[3]
Oh god...large volume to surface area? Something about their core temperature not fluctuating as much?
iv) why separated at lower heat[3]
Less/weaker hydrogen bonds as not exactly the same, but similar, sequence of bases.
v)Temperature of dissociation as a quantitative measure of how related two species are[3]
The less realted they are, the fewer similar sequences of bases they have, the fewer bases in the right places, fewer hydrogen bonds...less heat required to break. Therefore, lowerer the temp, the less related.
vi) higher precipitation[2]
Antibodies would be similar, cause agglutionation therefore a ppt produced. However, not as much as the antibodies aren't exactly the same...or something like that.
Reply 326
JessAustin
1 i) What nutrient in ash [1]
carbon - nice one, Jess!
ii) Why did scientists in second group get lwoer reading[1]
Something about not all nitrogen comes from amino acids, can't remember my example
iii) Different RQ between seal and rhino[3]
Same...rhino 0.7 for lipids and sea lion 1.0 for carbohydrates.
iv) compare different strength of reducing sugar[3]
Add and heat samples of each with Benedicts. Reducing sugars would go red, however the test is marginally quantitative therefore the intensity and darkness of the red indicated which sample has more reducing sugars in comparison to the rest...then I added the whole thing about having to prepare sucrose before you can test it (Im pretty sure I was waffling by this poin!)
v) Why per pup?[1]
A mother rat would produce more milk if she has had more offspring despite the test conditions or something
vi) Does smoking stop milk?[3]
Standard deviations overlap...the lowest value for C (I think) is only 0.1 above the lowest for A...therefore can't make a fair conclusion...and then I added about doing a chi-squared test to find out if the results were due to chance or not? Not sure about that - but I swear examiners love chi-squared.
vii) How is control group treated[2]
Exactly the same as the control group except not injected with the hormone, injected with the solvent the hormone is in instead?
viii) Why same breed[2]
Some breeds might be naturally better milk yielders and some naturally lower. Make results unfair.
X)why was it not oxy... released[3]
I said something about the time delay meant that the increased milk yield was indirectly connected to the hormone, not directly...probably ********.
xi) Vasoconstriction of arterioles limiting milk[2]
Less oxygen/glucose available to the respiring tissues of those cells to produce ATP for the synthesis of milk.

2i) two uses of polysacc[2]
cellulose, starch
ii) ruminant digestion, how does bacteria help[2]
Bacteria convert cellulose and the urea in the ruminant into proteins/carbohydrates by enzymes.
Then that when they die the ruminant can digest them and get their proteins

iii) bird living in rainforest, bird being big[3]
Oh god...large volume to surface area? Something about their core temperature not fluctuating as much?
iv) why separated at lower heat[3]
Less/weaker hydrogen bonds as not exactly the same, but similar, sequence of bases.
v)Temperature of dissociation as a quantitative measure of how related two species are[3]
The less realted they are, the fewer similar sequences of bases they have, the fewer bases in the right places, fewer hydrogen bonds...less heat required to break. Therefore, lowerer the temp, the less related.
vi) higher precipitation[2]
Antibodies would be similar, cause agglutionation therefore a ppt produced. However, not as much as the antibodies aren't exactly the same...or something like that.

for the bird being large.. i put small surface area to volume ratio and hence less heat lost... so less energy is wasted to keep the body warm through metabolic reactions..
Reply 327
WELL I'VE FAILED.

does blood have water in it?? hahahaha i know thats stupid but does it?
Reply 328
M.I.L.L.Y
WELL I'VE FAILED.

does blood have water in it?? hahahaha i know thats stupid but does it?

Yes...it's called plasma.
I'm REALLY worried about my essay. Alll i want is a E.
I wrote about photosynthesis for alot of mine for the water one. Photolysis. But i went on to say about the electron being used to make ATP and reduced NADP. Was that completely irrelivent?
I also talked about cohesion tension theory. Water supporting the xylem. (is that wrong?)
Water for turgor pressure to open stomata.
Water used by fish to get oxygen. -counter current system
Water used by humans to dilute urea to make it safe to excrete.
Water used by animals to regulate body temperature in sweating.

My intro talked about aqueous houmor in the eyes but i never got round to talking about that in the essay. My concludion was horrible.

I also did a side on detailed plan for the energy one. Because i was going to do that one. But i didn't cross it out. Will they take marks away from me for that?
I did write the water title above my water essay so i think i'll know i was actually answering the water one. (right?...)

I wrote about 2 sides on photosynthesis and 1 1/2 sides on everything else. I know my essay was crap and my spelling is crap (i spelled lamellae wrong). But do you think i will have been able to SCRAPE a E on that paper. I just don't want to get a U on that paper.

I think i got about 13-15 for the questions one and two at the begining.

Hopefully it will be like 26 for a E. I'd love to get 31 but i think the examiner would have to be practically blind for me to get that.

Do you think i'll be able to get that E?

I feel even worse that everyone else seemed to find the paper so EASY.
Reply 330
000Rain000
I'm REALLY worried about my essay. Alll i want is a E.
I wrote about photosynthesis for alot of mine for the water one. Photolysis. But i went on to say about the electron being used to make ATP and reduced NADP. Was that completely irrelivent?
I also talked about cohesion tension theory. Water supporting the xylem. (is that wrong?)
Water for turgor pressure to open stomata.
Water used by fish to get oxygen. -counter current system
Water used by humans to dilute urea to make it safe to excrete.
Water used by animals to regulate body temperature in sweating.

My intro talked about aqueous houmor in the eyes but i never got round to talking about that in the essay. My concludion was horrible.

I also did a side on detailed plan for the energy one. Because i was going to do that one. But i didn't cross it out. Will they take marks away from me for that?
I did write the water title above my water essay so i think i'll know i was actually answering the water one. (right?...)

I wrote about 2 sides on photosynthesis and 1 1/2 sides on everything else. I know my essay was crap and my spelling is crap (i spelled lamellae wrong). But do you think i will have been able to SCRAPE a E on that paper. I just don't want to get a U on that paper.

I think i got about 13-15 for the questions one and two at the begining.

Hopefully it will be like 26 for a E. I'd love to get 31 but i think the examiner would have to be practically blind for me to get that.

Do you think i'll be able to get that E?

I feel even worse that everyone else seemed to find the paper so EASY.

Hmm that's complicated that you've written 2 essays and left them both in. I guess they'd mark the first one? Not sure, but you won't get marks for both of them. The paper was easier than usual, but it wasn't really easy, so the grade boundaries won't be sky high. Good luck to you =)
Reply 331
this paper was pretty easy i thought.

uses of water in organisms = 25 marks in the bag!
Reply 332
Kinkerz
Yes...it's called plasma.

:rofl:
Reply 333
omg im so stupid! i actually wrote about the moist lining of the alveoli being watery. hahahah the things stress does to you =]
Reply 334
what was the answer to what nutrient would be found in ash?

i wrote fat :s-smilie:
Reply 335
Isometrix
what was the answer to what mineral would be found in ash?

i wrote fat :s-smilie:

I wrote calcium.
Hi could somebody please help me i have the essay title describe the importance of hydrolysis and condensation reactions in biological systems and have no idea where to start???
like what to include in my introduction..conclusion...middle of the essay?
could somebody please help me i would appreciate it
thankyou
Reply 337
Amanda1234
Hi could somebody please help me i have the essay title describe the importance of hydrolysis and condensation reactions in biological systems and have no idea where to start???
like what to include in my introduction..conclusion...middle of the essay?
could somebody please help me i would appreciate it
thankyou

This thread is nearly a year old, I suggest making a new one.

Latest

Trending

Trending