The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Blair93
Economics at Durham :smile:

I've not no, but i've got "work experience" at JP Morgan and RBS lined up for summer though. Did you?

Also I realised I have no idea what to put on a CV for the Spring weeks, surely "I played wing for the 1st XV at school" doesn't cut it anymore!

I haven't looked at any Spring Week apps so I'm not sure what the format of the app is. I have quite a few ECs and interets that I'm hoping will help differentiate my applicaton from others. As far as work exp is concerned, yeah I've got some things lined up for the summer at two IBs here in London. I'm hoping to also get a place on the JPM pre-uni programme.

How did you get the work exp at JPM & RBS? I'm guessing friends/family ?
Reply 21
Original post by i_hate_teeth
I haven't looked at any Spring Week apps so I'm not sure what the format of the app is. I have quite a few ECs and interets that I'm hoping will help differentiate my applicaton from others. As far as work exp is concerned, yeah I've got some things lined up for the summer at two IBs here in London. I'm hoping to also get a place on the JPM pre-uni programme.

How did you get the work exp at JPM & RBS? I'm guessing friends/family ?

Are you guys talking about this?
http://careers.jpmorgan.com/student/jpmorgan/careers/europe/preintern/schools
Original post by mel3
I'm a post-IB applicant and am currently doing an internship at Julius Baer Bank in Zurich. As my offer is unconditional I am fortunate enough not to worry about meeting it.

Well, I will be switching to a different course at registration. (Before people now say it's not possible to switch, IT IS and that is not something I made up but something the departmental tutor at the LSE has assured me)
Thus I will either be studying Philosophy and Economics or Accounting and Finance. The reason why I want to change my course is that my internship started after I sent off my application and it just made me realize how fascinating the financial industry is)
The only thing I have for extracurriculars is rowing and golf. I really don't know what else to put or if that is even relevant for them.

mmmsure :rolleyes:

Yeah, that's the JPM programme I was talking about.
Original post by mel3
I thought it is about time to open a thread for all the people applying for the spring week internships in 2012.
I've taken the list of banks that are offering Spring weeks from last year's thread.

Banks that offer spring weeks:

Goldman Sachs: IBD, Securities
JP Morgan: Spring Week, Industry Impressions (Autumn)
Citigroup
Morgan Stanley
Deutsche Bank
BNP Paribas
Merril Lynch
Credit Suisse
RBS: Divisional Spring Weeks
UBS
BarCap

These internships are usually for students graduating in 2014.

EDIT: If you don't like the thread, just hit the backwards button.

You forgot about Explore Nomura OP.

I might be applying for spring weeks. I applied last year as a 1st year on a 3 year course and got rejected by all 10 that i applied for. Thinking i might add a year in industry into my degree so that i can apply as a 2nd year on a 4 year course.

How's everyones CVs looking?
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Industrious Orca
You forgot about Explore Nomura OP.

I might be applying for spring weeks. I applied last year as a 1st year on a 3 year course and got rejected by all 10 that i applied for. Thinking i might add a year in industry into my degree so that i can apply as a 2nd year on a 4 year course.

How's everyones CVs looking?

Sorry to hear that.

Did you get rejected post-interviews for some of them?
Original post by iInvestmentBanker
Sorry to hear that.

Did you get rejected post-interviews for some of them?

No, no interviews, straight rejections from all. I kind of think i know why.

I felt like i had a glaring weakness, so my second paragraph of all cover letters started with 'Despite....'. I then went on to try to turn it round to the point where i said i had skills that others wouldn't have. So i highlighted a weakness (which apparently wasn't a weakness from feedback) and then became arrogant saying that i had skills that others didn't.
Reply 27
Anyone planning on applying for both spring weeks and summer internships in 2012? I know the usual progression is to do a summer internship the following year, but is there any harm in someone graduating in 2014 applying for summer internships in both 2012 and 2013 (perhaps in different divisions)?

I know one first year who completed a spring week this year and got an offer for a summer internship this summer.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 28
Original post by aeonflux
Anyone planning on applying for both spring weeks and summer internships in 2012? I know the usual progression is to do a summer internship the following year, but is there any harm in someone graduating in 2014 applying for summer internships in both 2012 and 2013 (perhaps in different divisions)?

I know one first year who completed a spring week this year and got an offer for a summer internship this summer.

You can't make two applications in a single year, well you can but in different regions. Can't make two applications in EMEA, one in EMEA and one in Hong Kong will be possible though.

I was thinking as well whether I should apply to Spring Internships next year (maybe make my course a 4 year course with YoI) and also apply to Summer Internships, but then realised two applications in one year won't be possible.
Reply 29
Original post by fa90
You can't make two applications in a single year, well you can but in different regions. Can't make two applications in EMEA, one in EMEA and one in Hong Kong will be possible though.

I was thinking as well whether I should apply to Spring Internships next year (maybe make my course a 4 year course with YoI) and also apply to Summer Internships, but then realised two applications in one year won't be possible.

Cheers for the info. Guess its a bit risky to apply to a few banks for spring weeks and a few for summer internships.
Reply 30
Original post by aeonflux
Cheers for the info. Guess its a bit risky to apply to a few banks for spring weeks and a few for summer internships.

Yeah it is. You could give it a shot though lol. Not sure If I will try that, but I might make all of mine Spring/Summer. One or the other. Spring can help you get the Summer so that's the advantage I suppose..but then If you decide to take Year Placement, it won't work as the Summer Internship will clash with Year of Industry placement as they all start around June/July/Aug time I think.
Reply 31
Original post by jamz0770
This is pretty early - The 2011 spring weeks haven't even started yet...

Haha, this is what i thought when i saw the thread, i mean, it's April......... then i realised it was actually started in March.

Anyway, there's probably no downside to thinking about it early.
Reply 32
What date can you start applying for the 2012 spring programs?
Reply 33
Original post by js10j3w
What date can you start applying for the 2012 spring programs?

From October.
Wow you guys are keen. You can apply in autumn, don't leave it until the deadline like me, I was extremely lucky :colonhash:
Original post by Mastermind007
Wow you guys are keen. You can apply in autumn, don't leave it until the deadline like me, I was extremely lucky :colonhash:

Do you have any advice on how to make a strong SW app?

Really know the firm well, go to campus events, actually make contacts with the reps and have some interesting/impressive extra-currics. You don't want a cookie cutter app.
Reply 37

Know what you're talking about. Don't think that an investment bank offers one job - there are dozens of different roles so knowing what you're talking about is so important.

Get AAA+ at A level.

Go to Oxbridge, UCL, LSE or ICL.

Don't dress like you've never worn a suit at interview - wear nice clothes and don't sound like an arrogant prick.

= Spring Week.
Original post by 100
Know what you're talking about. Don't think that an investment bank offers one job - there are dozens of different roles so knowing what you're talking about is so important.

Get AAA+ at A level.

Go to Oxbridge, UCL, LSE or ICL.

Don't dress like you've never worn a suit at interview - wear nice clothes and don't sound like an arrogant prick.

= Spring Week.

The things 100 has mentioned wont get you a spring week but are rather "prerequisites" for getting a spring week.

Getting AAA+ wont get you a spring week, especially at the top unis where everyone has AAA+. You're just expected to have good grades and in practice that means at least 3 As.

Also, going to Oxbridge, UCL, LSE, ICL and Warwick, I might add, wont get you a spring week either, but the vast majority of FO grads & interns come from those unis so going to one of those greatly improves your chances.

If you want to get a spring week the most important thing to do is to differentiate yourself. You need to do things that make you stand out, and you can do this by:

-getting relevant work experience
-getting involved in a wide range of extracurricualr activities (leadership positions, team sports, volunteering etc)
-getting involved in entrepreneurial ventures and other business initiatives

amongst other things, and reading a hell of a lot about banking, finance and the industry. That's how you get a spring week.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 39
Original post by Zweihander

Getting AAA+ wont get you a spring week, especially at the top unis where everyone has AAA+. You're just expected to have good grades and in practice that means at least 3 As.

Also, going to Oxbridge, UCL, LSE, ICL and Warwick, I might add, wont get you a spring week either, but the vast majority of FO grads & interns come from those unis so going to one of those greatly improves your chances.

If you want to get a spring week the most important thing to do is to differentiate yourself. You need to do things that make you stand out, and you can do this by:

-getting relevant work experience
-getting involved in a wide range of extracurricualr activities (leadership positions, team sports, volunteering etc)
-getting involved in entrepreneurial ventures and other business initiatives

amongtst other things, and reading a hell of a lot about banking, finance and the industry. That's how you get a spring week.

Fair point. But 90% of applicants won't meet what I said. Perhaps what I was saying was to get you to the level of having a chance. It's very hard to get relevant work exp if you're a first year.

The best way to get a Spring Week, is to do a 4-year course and get a Spring Week in 2nd year - as long as you're on the ball you'll be in a much better position than Freshers.

Latest