The Student Room Group

Learning Anatomy

Scroll to see replies

Seriously OP, chill out. Anatomy is not fun. I got asked to find the adductor hiatus in my OSCE and think I had a STEMI. I just pointed to a random hole in the adductor magnus and he passed me :s-smilie:.
Original post by Hippysnake
Seriously OP, chill out. Anatomy is not fun. I got asked to find the adductor hiatus in my OSCE and think I had a STEMI. I just pointed to a random hole in the adductor magnus and he passed me :s-smilie:.

I had to label a CT scan in my spotter. I still don't know whether it was of the neck or the shoulder.
Original post by Fission_Mailed
I had to label a CT scan in my spotter. I still don't know whether it was of the neck or the shoulder.

Everything looks the same man. Unless you've got the worlds best prosection, all the arteries look like veins, the veins look like nerves, the nerves are impossible to find unless it's the sciatic and you can forget about trying to find any of the muscles of the hand unless you have the mother of all prosections.
Everything looks the same man. Unless you've got the worlds best prosection, all the arteries look like veins, the veins look like nerves, the nerves are impossible to find unless it's the sciatic and you can forget about trying to find any of the muscles of the hand unless you have the mother of all prosections.

Some of our prosections are lovely, but the thorax I had to use at one station was starting to get a wee bit funky.

Visable Human Project is amazing for learning cross sectional anatomy, plus the 100 million cross sectional CT and MRI images we are bombarded with each case unit.
Original post by Lil08
I study in Europe and the anatomy there is too intense. We learn Upper Limb and Lower Limb within the frame of four months. The best way to learn anatomy is from big grays because you need that kind of detail. Learn your bones inside out and the muscle attachment, nerve and blood supply becomes easier. I would also recommend using mnemonic for learning muscles in each compartments. The dirtier, the better. Just search online and you'll find them.

I don't know about UK but we must learn anatomy in details. This is why we must know details and reason I recommend the big grays. There's one online here: http://www.bartleby.com/107/

massive emphasis on rote learning... sweet.
Original post by carcinoma
Visable Human Project is amazing for learning cross sectional anatomy, plus the 100 million cross sectional CT and MRI images we are bombarded with each case unit.

I'll put off learning cross sectional anatomy until I need to :cool:. Net Anatomy is great for actually learning anatomy because the dissections are fantastic. Unfortunately the cadavers are rarely as good as those on Net Anatomy.
I really, really love being able to do full body dissection, but that's only because the 9 people I share the cadaver with are basically competent. I saw one group who managed to mangle all of the great vessels, and the oesophagus, while getting the heart out. I mean, come on.
I'll put off learning cross sectional anatomy until I need to :cool:. Net Anatomy is great for actually learning anatomy because the dissections are fantastic. Unfortunately the cadavers are rarely as good as those on Net Anatomy.

Yea i agree Anatomy TV, Net Anatomy and Netter presenter are amazing.

Oh we already have to learn cross-sectional anatomy.
Yea i agree Anatomy TV, Net Anatomy and Netter presenter are amazing.

Oh we already have to learn cross-sectional anatomy.

What med school you at? I remember you applying to Peninsula, or am I just going batty?
What med school you at? I remember you applying to Peninsula, or am I just going batty?

Not going batty, I'm at Peninsula.

How did the year go for you?
Not going batty, I'm at Peninsula.

How did the year go for you?

Fairly well! Yourself?
Fairly well! Yourself?

Scary, it went so fast and so much happened! But it did go really well.

I don't even consider myself a medical student yet lol, but some how i learnt a ridiculous amount of information.
Scary, it went so fast and so much happened! But it did go really well.

I don't even consider myself a medical student yet lol, but some how i learnt a ridiculous amount of information.

It's sort of scary how much you actually end up learning isn't it? I know I learnt more in my first year of med than all 3.5 of my A-levels combined. It's odd, most of what I know I didn't actually learn, but like, just accidentally came across it.
It's sort of scary how much you actually end up learning isn't it? I know I learnt more in my first year of med than all 3.5 of my A-levels combined. It's odd, most of what I know I didn't actually learn, but like, just accidentally came across it.

Same, just goes to show that as soon as you move away from learning for retention to learning for use, you learn and retain so much more.

I dont even understand how i have learnt so much, I dont remember any specific point of actually doing that much work.
Reply 75
Drake + Jameison's + colouring book + Sinnatamby.
Reply 76
Original post by Lil08
I study in Europe and the anatomy there is too intense. We learn Upper Limb and Lower Limb within the frame of four months. The best way to learn anatomy is from big grays because you need that kind of detail. Learn your bones inside out and the muscle attachment, nerve and blood supply becomes easier. I would also recommend using mnemonic for learning muscles in each compartments. The dirtier, the better. Just search online and you'll find them.

I don't know about UK but we must learn anatomy in details. This is why we must know details and reason I recommend the big grays. There's one online here: http://www.bartleby.com/107/

The UK is in Europe too...
Reply 77
Original post by Kinkerz
The UK is in Europe too...

You don't say.
Reply 78
Original post by Lil08
You don't say.

Pfft, try doing head, neck and the intracranial compartment in a week.
Reply 79
Original post by Wangers
Pfft, try doing head, neck and the intracranial compartment in a week.

In a week. :eek: You're not serious.

Quick Reply