The Student Room Group

Official Arabic/Middle Eastern Applicants 2012 Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sohoscribbler

perhaps that is just the British system, but we Americans are used to not being best buddies with Iran. :tongue:

many American universities offer study abroad to Tajikistan instead of Iran, such as the University of Maryland. sure, visiting Tajikistan to study Persian is a lot like going to... er, Tonga, to study English.

but attempting to dissuade students from studying Persian is frankly ridiculous. although I can't speak for all Persian applicants, I (and most other Persian students) study Persian for a special reason and a period of temporary instability is most certainly not going decrease my interest in the region. for those with a diplomatic or military interest, it may actually do the opposite. this all goes without mentioning the absolutely sublime Persian literary tradition which fortunately isn't the least bit affected by the Islamic Republic's antics.

although I'm not applying to Oxford, I will attempt to contact their Persian department with regards to study abroad. I assume their site hasn't been updated since the recent deterioration with Iran so I'd need to write someone directly.
Make sure you get absolutely everything in writing and don't assume that anything the university tells you is true. And remember that if you do have a dispute with Oxford or any other British university, but probably especially Oxford or Cambridge, it will be almost impossible to get a fair hearing.

I went to Tajikistan for my year abroad as I couldn't get into Iran but found it very far from satisfactory as a place to practise Persian. First, a curfew and the general security situation severely affected my movements and ability to meet people outside the workplace where I was a volunteer. Second, most of the people I worked with spoke Russian, Uzbek or French as a first language. Third, as I was there to teach English, people expected me to speak English most of the time. Fourth, I have heard bad reports about the quality of Persian teaching for foreigners at Dushanbe University. Fifth, I felt in very real danger, got mugged at gunpoint and had to leave because of death threats.

Worst of all, the university could not care less.

But certainly I wouldn't want to discourage anyone from studying Persian and totally agree with your points about Persian literature. I just would not advise anyone to study it at a British university, which will allow the government of Iran to dictate who can and cannot graduate from a UK degree course.

Do PM me if you like.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 83
Any more offers anyone? :smile:
Original post by Marina72

nooope, just patiently staring at my unchanged list of acknowledgements.

:bigsmile:
Reply 85

Offer From Manchester :smile: AAB - A in French

Kinda surprised, given my having nothing good to say about the uni at all in the interview when asked 'why Manchester?' lol the interviewer looked so pissed off :z
Reply 86
Original post by J.tytler
Offer From Manchester :smile: AAB - A in French

Kinda surprised, given my having nothing good to say about the uni at all in the interview when asked 'why Manchester?' lol the interviewer looked so pissed off :z

Hahaa :L Oh I have my interview on Wednesday, may need to prepare for that one :P haha! It's so strange they've given me an offer of ABB already, for Arabic and Persian, and now I've got an interview...not sure quite what they're trying to achieve from the interview!! Hoping they'll lower my grades though :P Well done for your offer :smile:
Reply 87
Hahaa :L Oh I have my interview on Wednesday, may need to prepare for that one :P haha! It's so strange they've given me an offer of ABB already, for Arabic and Persian, and now I've got an interview...not sure quite what they're trying to achieve from the interview!! Hoping they'll lower my grades though :P Well done for your offer :smile:

'to get to know your motivations for picking the course' was the line they kept using. Just make sure youcan answer that, and why Manchester and you'll be fine :P

Before accepting a place for Persian, remember that Iran is on the Foreign Office no-go list and universities will not allow their students to spend part or all of their year abroad there. Even though impossible, the year abroad remains compulsory however for Persian students. The plot would have defeated Kafka.

For example, see http://www.ames.cam.ac.uk/dmes/islamic/yearabroad.htm and http://www.fco.gov.uk/en/travel-and-...th-africa/iran.

For the time being you would be crazy to want to study Persian at a British university. It's a terrible shame as Iran has contributed so much to world culture.

And if you do make the horrific mistake of studying Persian at a British university and find the compulsory year abroad impossible, do not count on being able to change subject. Partly for fear of offending the Iranian government, which helps fund it, the institution will cast you adrift without a care.

Please, please, please do not study Persian at a British university if you want to get a degree at the end.
(edited 12 years ago)
Curious to see how Oxford University, despite advice from the Foreign Office no-go-list, is still encouraging students to go to Iran: http://www.orinst.ox.ac.uk/iw/persian.html
Reply 90
Before accepting a place for Persian, remember that Iran is on the Foreign Office no-go list and universities will not allow their students to spend part or all of their year abroad there. Even though impossible, the year abroad remains compulsory however for Persian students. The plot would have defeated Kafka.

For example, see http://www.ames.cam.ac.uk/dmes/islamic/yearabroad.htm and http://www.fco.gov.uk/en/travel-and-...th-africa/iran.

For the time being you would be crazy to want to study Persian at a British university. It's a terrible shame as Iran has contributed so much to world culture.

And if you do make the horrific mistake of studying Persian at a British university and find the compulsory year abroad impossible, do not count on being able to change subject. Partly for fear of offending the Iranian government, which helps fund it, the institution will cast you adrift without a care.

Please, please, please do not study Persian at a British university if you want to get a degree at the end.

No offence but it's my choice. Shut up. I want to study Arabic and Persian, I don't care if I don't get to go to Iran...I know the chances of going there are like 1%, I've accepted that. Jeeez. It's my decision. I'd love to be able to go, but all institutions have said the chances of going are tiny. Therefore I KNOW I won't be able to go, I'm still fascinated by the language and culture though. Who are you anyway?
Reply 91

Do you not think both the students planning on studying Persian and the universities offering it have considered that? Also saying the se thing twice is a bit unnecessary... Everyone ignored you the first time for a reason
Reply 92

Live life or die trying.
Reply 93
No offence but it's my choice. Shut up. I want to study Arabic and Persian, I don't care if I don't get to go to Iran...I know the chances of going there are like 1%, I've accepted that. Jeeez. It's my decision. I'd love to be able to go, but all institutions have said the chances of going are tiny. Therefore I KNOW I won't be able to go, I'm still fascinated by the language and culture though. Who are you anyway?

He's just stating facts out of concern. In case you hadn't quite grasped the gravity of the situation. There's no need to be so rude and defensive about it... It's your decision of course but, perhaps it's not the most objectively sensible one.

And the whole point of an on-line forum is that it's anonymous? Lol
Reply 94
Original post by chloew94
Do you not think both the students planning on studying Persian and the universities offering it have considered that? Also saying the se thing twice is a bit unnecessary... Everyone ignored you the first time for a reason

I think everyone ignored him because they don't want to face the reality of the situation.. it's much easier to just scroll down...
Reply 95
He's just stating facts out of concern. In case you hadn't quite grasped the gravity of the situation. There's no need to be so rude and defensive about it... It's your decision of course but, perhaps it's not the most objectively sensible one.

And the whole point of an on-line forum is that it's anonymous? Lol

But if she's applying to do arabic and persian then surely the massive deal this other guy's making is irrelevant because she can spend her year abroad in an arabic speaking country?
Reply 96
But if she's applying to do arabic and persian then surely the massive deal this other guy's making is irrelevant because she can spend her year abroad in an arabic speaking country?

Perhaps, presumably this is what would happen but it's still unclear what the situation will be in a few years, even for Arabic to an extent, and if the diplomatic situation with Iran worsens, well, it could even be downright dangerous to be studying Iran.

That said, its her life. Obviously, I'm not saying she shouldn't be studying Persian but, if I were her I'd have a serious rethink. If the danger is not a deterrent, or is even a motivation then by all means, go ahead. Just seems a shame devoting 4 years to the study of a region you may never be able to actually visit.
Reply 97
Perhaps, presumably this is what would happen but it's still unclear what the situation will be in a few years, even for Arabic to an extent, and if the diplomatic situation with Iran worsens, well, it could even be downright dangerous to be studying Iran.

That said, its her life. Obviously, I'm not saying she shouldn't be studying Persian but, if I were her I'd have a serious rethink. If the danger is not a deterrent, or is even a motivation then by all means, go ahead. Just seems a shame devoting 4 years to the study of a region you may never be able to actually visit.

but that's like asking why people study latin even thogh they can't visit ancient rome
Reply 98
but that's like asking why people study latin even thogh they can't visit ancient rome

That's not quite the same thing though is it, what with the Romans being dead and all..

If you're interested in Persian history, then perhaps it doesn't change a thing not being able to go there, but what interests me abut the Middle East is that it's a living, breathing, vibrant place, constantly evolving.

I guess it's all down to your motivations and interests.

EDIT: Also, I think you'd be hard pressed to find a Classicist who hadn't visited the Colosseum or Pompeii...
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 99
That's not quite the same thing though is it, what with the Romans being dead and all..

If you're interested in Persian history, then perhaps it doesn't change a thing not being able to go there, but what interests me abut the Middle East is that it's a living, breathing, vibrant place, constantly evolving.

I guess it's all down to your motivations and interests.

EDIT: Also, I think you'd be hard pressed to find a Classicist who hadn't visited the Colosseum or Pompeii...

Yeah but with Iran becoming an increasingly important in world affairs there is need for SOMEONE to speak Persian!! Who do you think is going to do all the reporting/ translating etc. ?!?!?! Surely with Iran becoming so volatile and with the focus of the world's media it'll be EVEN more important to speak Persian and to be able to tell the story of the people to the world!?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending