The Student Room Group

New face of Ann Summers is size 16

What do you think about this?

On the one hand I think it's a good thing that a larger body is seen as sexy :smile: I think it sends out a positive message to larger women.

BUT I do think that all this nonsense about this being a "real" woman is ridiculous- like slim girls aren't "real"!

With lighting and photoshop, they've also managed to hide her body a bit, which sort of defeats the point of having a plus size model!

I also think that, as the average weight in Britain rises, larger girls are being made to seem more attractive, rather than helping larger girls lose weight. I don't think it's good for the future health of women (and men of course).

Interested to hear your views :smile:

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/features/4056556/Ann-Summers-news-Plus-size-model-is-new-face-of-lingerie-firm.html
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
And? I don't see the problem she's gorgeous :smile:
Reply 2
:lol: at the comments below.

"I love big curvy birds..! But Im just soo ashamed to go out with one! Dam you society!"
Original post by inspiration91

On the one hand I think it's a good thing that a larger body is seen as sexy :smile: I think it sends out a positive message about larger women.

BUT I do think that all this nonsense about this being a "real" woman is ridiculous- like slim girls aren't "real"!

With lighting and photoshop, they've also managed to hide her body a bit, which sort of defeats the point of having a plus size model!

I also think that, as the average weight in Britain rises, larger girls are being made to seem more attractive, rather than helping larger girls lose weight. I don't think it's good for the future health of women (and men of course).

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/features/4056556/Ann-Summers-news-Plus-size-model-is-new-face-of-lingerie-firm.html

She's very pretty and I think it's good we can see what the clothes look like on different sizes, as both slim and bigger girls are going to want to buy from them. But yeah I hate the 'real woman' brigade, a skinny woman is as real as a bigger one, as is any sized woman.

But I think it's a good marketing tool as there are a lot of bigger women out there, and seeing what the clothes look like on someone closer to their size will increase their likelihood to buy.
Reply 4
I've been enjoying masturbating to slightly chunky girls recently... I recommend it.
A size 16 face? Bloody hell! :eek:

More seriously, it's just, as you say, a sensible business decision, as their target market gets fatter over time.
There's not wanting to promote anorexia, and then there's this.

If you cannot use models that are unhealthily thin, you cannot use unhealthily fat models. It is only fair.
She's very pretty but she's been airbrushed to hell. Sans-photoshop, her body would *not* look like that.
I think the issue is whether the woman in the campaign is physically fit and healthy. If she is, then there shouldn't be a problem. If she isn't however, then I don't think it's sending out a positive message.

It's all about balance. Don't go to extremes and it's all good.
I don't care, I don't buy anything from there.
Reply 10
I find it quite funny that they make a point of choosing a size 16, then still photoshop her pictures to ****.
Reply 11
I can't help but think if she lost a bit of weight she'd be more attractive.
Reply 12
I personally have a real thing for slim girls, but I think it's good that a so-called 'larger' lady will be the new role model, so that teenage girls can stop pressuring themselves to be ever thinner.
Original post by inspiration91

On the one hand I think it's a good thing that a larger body is seen as sexy :smile: I think it sends out a positive message about larger women.

No it is not. Some fatty wants to believe that they are attractive, but no matter how hard they lie and try to convince everyone else, you can't change nature.

Sending out a positive message to fat and unfit women is so ****ing dangerous considering this country already has a weight problem.
I feel like this isn't too bad though they haven't exactly been subtle in covering up certain parts of her body. I defeats the object. I also can't stand the "real" women brigade. As the average size increases people need to not lose sight of the fact that average and healthy are NOT the same thing. I feel that at times the "real" women brigade are no better (and no less judgemental) than the size zero brigade. They are also potentially just as harmful.
'She even appeared in reality show The Only Way is Essex.'

Do we really want her as a role model for teenage girls? :colonhash:
Hmm I personally don't find her attractive. I mean, those are professional pictures, of course they're going to highlight her good points.
Size 16 is generally overweight. Why can't they have normal and not overweight women..like size 10-12? Even a 14 but having a size 16 girl just because it represents the national average size and its a popular size doesn't make it healthy. If anything, I think it's just encouraging the country's obesity. Girls are influenced by really skinny models and there's a possibility this could encourage poor eating habits and making people think that being overweight is a good thing because its the new 'curvy'.
Yes I will probably get negged for this but what an earth happened to good health? She is clearly overweight...yes she looks great but she is overweight. Just like the underweight size 4 models that look great but some (not all) are unhealthy too. There's always a need to use extremes..what about a happy medium.
Original post by Id and Ego seek
'She even appeared in reality show The Only Way is Essex.'

Do we really want her as a role model for teenage girls? :colonhash:

I wasn't aware that Ann Summers models were ever thought of as role models :lolwut:
So now obesity is being promoted. Excellent, that's what we need, for over weight people to feel comfortable with themselves.

Latest

Trending

Trending