The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by commandant
they;re brothers lol

I knew that lol, never knew they looked so similar - you and your bro look nowhere near as closely related.

Vid of what i think looks like 190...
Original post by MHorman

Vid of what i think looks like 190...

that could be it

you can see my main problem with deadlifts in that video, how my arse comes up much quicker than my shoulders

edit: my legs were locked before the bar got to my knees, by the looks of it
(edited 12 years ago)
considering Layne Nortons 5 day routine... would kill me though i reckon.
Original post by Monkey_Pete
that could be it

you can see my main problem with deadlifts in that video, how my arse comes up much quicker than my shoulders

edit: my legs were locked before the bar got to my knees, by the looks of it

Your knees come in aswell when you begin the lift which suggests to me you should narrow your stance. With that you should be able to bring your grip in slightly.

I'd spend a few weeks working off a box, really concentrating on lowering your hips and driving with your quads.
Original post by Herr Stamper
Your knees come in aswell when you begin the lift which suggests to me you should narrow your stance. With that you should be able to bring your grip in slightly.

I'd spend a few weeks working off a box, really concentrating on lowering your hips and driving with your quads.

thanks for the help. question, what does "working off a box" mean? like doing deficit deadlifts?
thanks for the help. question, what does "working off a box" mean? like doing deficit deadlifts?

good tip i learnt from matt, jump in the air high as you can....where-ever your feet land thats where your should set your stance. box=box deadlfits( opposite of a deficit dead), got some at gym but I've yet to use them...... i think you can also use a trap bar with high handles to get the hips in correct position.

your good for 200 soon, 190 seemed fairly easy.
(edited 12 years ago)
I've read about that before and interestingly that puts me in a very narrow sumo stance.
That only works for conventional though. I don't think there's anyone that jumps and then lands in a wide sumo stance.
I mean I land with my feet roughly shoulder width apart. I know that this only works for conventional type DLs. I just happen to land with a rather wider stance than I remembered.

Correct
Original post by Herr Stamper
Correct

huh? deficit is when your standing on a platform and box is when the bars on a platform right?
Original post by Gallium
huh? deficit is when your standing on a platform and box is when the bars on a platform right?

The confusion probably comes from how you think of it - the operative 'off' (or 'on') in Herr's sentence implies the person would be upon the box, while working with a box would suggest either (most commonly deficit using the frequency of the terms on other forums).

This is quite esoteric reasoning - it would be simpler for everyone if the exercise would be explicitly mentioned.

Anyway heading to gym for some 5x5.
(edited 12 years ago)
My whey samples came.

The vanilla one was unoffensive if a tad bland. I wouldn't pay for it but it was fine.
What kind of stuff do you guys do for recovery? For example, foam rolling, stretches... that kind of thing.

I think I need to up my recovery game. I foam roll but need to be more consistent with it. Don't really do any stretches. I know some who go to the gym and stretch for like 10 minutes before they squat for example. Monk, for example, I've seen a few times stretch quite a bit prior to weights. All I do is walk fast on the treadmill for like 4 minutes, do some bodyweight squats, do some leg swings and I start.
Reply 8215
Does everyone stretch before working out every session/exercise or only on squats/deads?

If so, it seems to be something I've been neglecting...
Reply 8216
I've never stretched before lifting. Not something you're supposed to really being doing much of before resistance training, unless there's a very specific reason. I went through some elbow problems during squats a while back, and so I used to do some upper body stretches to loosen up my shoulders and elbows. It helped for that. But I'd never stretch out the muscles I'm about need to be very tense.
Reply 8217
phew
Only stretching I do before training is normally the bodyweight squat thing where you sit at the bottom and push your legs out (on dead and squat days). I've read that theres no point in stretching before a workout as not only does it take the tension away from your muscles but theres no evidence to suggest that it will prevent injury. Hence if I do stretch its generally after the workout.
Didn't realise walking dead was back on.

Streaming the latest episode as we speak, here's hoping the rest of this season picks up after all that turgid crap before the break.

I'm definitely going to incoporate stretching pre-workout, just not excessive amounts.

Latest