The Student Room Group

The Challenge 2012 (or previous)

The Challenge 2012!

Hello All :smile:

First of all, sorry if this is in the wrong place, I had no idea where to put it.

For those of you who don't know what The Challenge is, it is for 15/16 year olds who have just finished high school and it consists of three challenges: The first takes place over about 5 days in an outdoor activites centre, the second (after a days break) includes staying in University accomodation for 3 nights (for me it will be Manchester) and learning and developing a new skill such as Media, Photography, Sport, Enterprise or Drama and after another days break, 3 day time meet ups with your team while staying at home. There are then 4 weekend days spent in September applying a project you have pitched to some 'dragons' to the local community.

There are twelve members to a team and a few different dates to choose from to spend your 2 weeks (ish).

The amazing thing is, it only costs £35 (when applying online) and the rest of the whopping £1500 is provided by thier 'generous funders'.

For more information: http://www.the-challenge.org/

Earlier today I applied for The Challenge, after receiving a talk in assembly a few weeks ago by a representative and having a think about it. At first I wasn't sure I wanted to do it but I am now convinced and it seems really good. It will give me the chance to learn new stuff, meet new people, give me something to do in the Summer and look good on the ol' CV/Uni Applications. I might also tackle my fear of heights but then again, maybe not haha.

I created this thread to see if any one on TSR is getting invovled this year and when or to see if anyone had done it in the past and would like to share thier experience/advice.

Scroll to see replies

im doing this this year too xF
Reply 2
Wooo!
that makes 2 of us hehe.
which option do you reckon you'll choose or have chosen?
Original post by EllieJelly96
Wooo!
that makes 2 of us hehe.
which option do you reckon you'll choose or have chosen?

I wanna go Hiking D:
But they'd probably make us hike like a billion miles.
Reply 4
Haha oh god :L I dont mind hiking and water sports and stuff but Im really scared of hieghts so I dont know if I'll do much good at abseiling and all that.
I think I wanna do photography for the few days in uni accomodation as well, cos I've always been interested but never had the choice.
Reply 5
I'm doing the challenge as well, I can't wait :biggrin:
Reply 6
Awesome :biggrin: where abouts?
Reply 7
Well I live in East London :smile: you?
Reply 8
Manchester for me (:
Reply 9
Do you know anyone going? All my friends are going on different dates :frown:
Last year I went on the Challenge in West Midlands... it was awesome. Wish I could do it again! I'm really good mates with loads of the people I met, it's a really great 3 weeks :smile:

Original post by nataliekwong
I wanna go Hiking D:
But they'd probably make us hike like a billion miles.

It's quite hilly but it's not that far :smile: that doesn't help obviously but it is actually great fun, and when you go on it you will have bonded with the group so it's just like a massive day out with your friends :smile:

I might also tackle my fear of heights but then again, maybe not haha.

You probably will :colondollar:

Original post by smileyelzz
Do you know anyone going? All my friends are going on different dates

It doesn't matter! I'm a shy guy and I knew no-one. But I still made loads of friends :smile:
Reply 11
I luckily have my best friend and also another girl who I'm freinds with so thats good. I honestly dont mind if were not in the same team becuase were still on the same dates and will see each other around. It will be nice to meet new people.

cant_think_of_name, do you know how many teams there are on like one set of dates? I know the teams are 12 people but Im wondering how many there are (:
Right so there are 5 teams on each, you do mix with them and stuff but particularly in the second and third you will be more with your own group :smile:

and Team Radcliffe is the best, by the way :P
Reply 13
Okay, that sounds good. Not a baised opinion then? :wink:
Thanks
Reply 14
Anyone else?
The Challenge 2012!

Hello All :smile:

First of all, sorry if this is in the wrong place, I had no idea where to put it.

For those of you who don't know what The Challenge is, it is for 15/16 year olds who have just finished high school and it consists of three challenges: The first takes place over about 5 days in an outdoor activites centre, the second (after a days break) includes staying in University accomodation for 3 nights (for me it will be Manchester) and learning and developing a new skill such as Media, Photography, Sport, Enterprise or Drama and after another days break, 3 day time meet ups with your team while staying at home. There are then 4 weekend days spent in September applying a project you have pitched to some 'dragons' to the local community.

There are twelve members to a team and a few different dates to choose from to spend your 2 weeks (ish).

The amazing thing is, it only costs £35 (when applying online) and the rest of the whopping £1500 is provided by thier 'generous funders'.

For more information: http://www.the-challenge.org/

Earlier today I applied for The Challenge, after receiving a talk in assembly a few weeks ago by a representative and having a think about it. At first I wasn't sure I wanted to do it but I am now convinced and it seems really good. It will give me the chance to learn new stuff, meet new people, give me something to do in the Summer and look good on the ol' CV/Uni Applications. I might also tackle my fear of heights but then again, maybe not haha.

I created this thread to see if any one on TSR is getting invovled this year and when or to see if anyone had done it in the past and would like to share thier experience/advice.

Volunteering or work experience would look way better on CV than this
Reply 16
Original post by star10159
Volunteering or work experience would look way better on CV than this

Dont really care, this is something Im doing for enjoyment, I just said it is something to add to the CV as it is quite unique.
I'm going! :biggrin: What dates are you guys going on? Maybe, I'll see you.
Original post by GeorginaCrespi
I'm going! :biggrin: What dates are you guys going on? Maybe, I'll see you.

I'm going on the 29th july :biggrin: What about you?
8th August :'( i'm away on that date :P... the 29th July I mean.
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest