The Student Room Group

Urgent Higher Modern Studies Help..!

Hi,

I have a timed essay for Higher Modies on Monday to the question-

To what extent do inequalities in relation to gender and ethnicity continue to exist in the UK?

Now I have a plan of what I want to say, but I have wrote an introduction to the essay, and was wondering if anyone studying, has studied, or is good at Modern Studies could check that it is ok.

Here it is... hopefully not too long.

Today around 10 percent of the population are made up of ethnic minorities and over half of the British workforce is female. As a result, both of these groups, who play a huge role in society today, have been able to succeed and find more opportunity in areas such as education and employment. However, what has to be said is that deep gender and ethnic inequalities still exist in the UK when looking at complete equality.
Thanks for any help.
Reply 1
^Bump.

Please can someone help...
Reply 2
Sounds good to me :biggrin:

In any gender/ethnic inequalities essay I would refer to:

a) It is improving
- The pay gap is decreasing/introduction of laws to do so
- role models

b) However many barriers still exist today
- discrimination (e.g. stephen lawrence or sian massey the referee)
- islamaphobia (e.g. number of people arrested for racial attacks after glasgow airport attack)
- the glass ceiling/glass door (overall men earning more than women)

Good luck with your essay, I'm sure you'll be fine
Reply 3
Hi thanks...

I have now wrote a conclusion for the end of the essay.

Could someone see if it is ok, and kind of relates back to the question?

There are many inequalities which still exist in the UK regarding gender and ethnicity. Women have yet to completely break the ‘glass ceiling’ if they are able to gain equal opportunity, and those from ethnic groups still face inequalities in many areas. However, despite both gender and racial discrimination still present progress is apparent to see in social, economic and political fields.
Reply 4
Original post by scottish19
Sounds good to me :biggrin:

In any gender/ethnic inequalities essay I would refer to:

a) It is improving
- The pay gap is decreasing/introduction of laws to do so
- role models

b) However many barriers still exist today
- discrimination (e.g. stephen lawrence or sian massey the referee)
- islamaphobia (e.g. number of people arrested for racial attacks after glasgow airport attack)
- the glass ceiling/glass door (overall men earning more than women)

Good luck with your essay, I'm sure you'll be fine

Hi thanks...

I have now wrote a conclusion for the end of the essay.

Could someone see if it is ok, and kind of relates back to the question?

There are many inequalities which still exist in the UK regarding gender and ethnicity. Women have yet to completely break the ‘glass ceiling’ if they are able to gain equal opportunity, and those from ethnic groups still face inequalities in many areas. However, despite both gender and racial discrimination still present progress is apparent to see in social, economic and political fields.
Reply 5
Your conclusion sounds good to me. Just don't get too bogged down on your introduction/conclusion because the examiner is more going to focus on your points made within the main body of the essay. The purpose of the introduction is just to show that you know about the topic they are testing and the conclusion is there to sum up all your points made in the essay.

Good luck, I am sure your essay is great.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending