The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

My youngster. :coma:

Them physical stats. :coma:

9 goals in 19 games this season. :coma:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Nut.
Can I just check: the lowest English leagues in FM are Bet Square North and Bet Square South right?
Because I can't see a league lower than that, yet I've led Boreham Wood from BSS to the PL in consecutive promotions and haven't had the FM achievement :s-smilie:

They are, unless you add extra leagues on through the editor.

You said you'd just holidayed through the seasons though didn't you? - It might not acknowledge that as completing the challenge.
Through to the FA Cup 4th Round after some nice draws saw my Truro side overcome Hinckley and then Kidderminster (after a replay).

Hereford up next. :coma:
Reply 6743
Original post by Alofleicester
They are, unless you add extra leagues on through the editor.

You said you'd just holidayed through the seasons though didn't you? - It might not acknowledge that as completing the challenge.

Urgh. Yeah I bet that's it.
:grumble:
Reply 6744
Original post by Kevmeister
Players' personalities play a bigger role now, wrt the team talk. Some players are self motivating and just need a 'vote of confidence' by saying you have faith in them - Messi is like that, as is Iniesta.

As well as the overall team talk I tend to talk to players who showed no reaction, depending on their position - if a GK doesn't react then I just leave him to it, but if a key player doesn't then I try to motivate them esp if it's either a derby or a tough away game.

If your team is playing below par then try holding a team meeting to bring them back in line. Are you fining under-performing players after matches? Sometimes that'll spur them into a good run of form.

Ahh I see, fair enough.
Different players do favour certain types of talk I've found so yeah.

I might try individual talks like that, I don't usually do.

My team's doing fine to be honest, unbeaten in almost 50 matches - I'm just concerned I could get more out of them :P

Original post by Cll_ws
Yeah it was Taarabt I was talking about. He played pretty well for a couple of matches, but then his performances dropped. I'm playing him from the bench mostly now and may look to get rid of him.
Although he did say recently that he's looking to make a name for himself at Villa after he was overlooked for the Morocco squad!

I'll second what Jack's said about Taarabt - he has some talent but he's selfish and has an unpleasant personality. Could definitely find someone better.
(edited 11 years ago)
Hereford spanked me and then Chippenham piled on the misery to wallop me 5-1 the following game.

5 games to go and a point behind Oxford City who are currently top, with them still to come to me.

Signed another 17-year-old striker on a free from Lewes and he's been banging them in. Attempts to hire Marcus Stewart from Exeter as a Player/AssMan were fruitless, however. :sad:
Reply 6746
I've started a game Chelmsford City in the Blue Square South. I decided it'd be a bit more fun than my Aston Villa save. I chose them because they wear the same colour as Villa and were nicknamed 'The Clarets' :lol:

Pre-season was pretty good, only narrowly lost to Hearts 2-1, beat Grimsby 3-0, and just lost to West Ham reserves 3-2.

I've played 6 games so far in the league, won every one and got manager of the month award :ahee:

I signed a striker called Javlon Campbell after one of those England Trialist games, and he scores a load.
And my 2 central midfielders (Corcoran and Rainford) are banging in goals from 25 yards every other game! They're my 2 joint top goalscorers!

So it's all going to plan so far!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 6747
"Vrsaljko tripped Noone"

It took me a second to realise Noone was a Watford player's name, I'd initially thought the game was just being tarded...
Original post by Cll_ws
I've started a game Chelmsford City in the Blue Square South. I decided it'd be a bit more fun than my Aston Villa save. I chose them because they wear the same colour as Villa and were nicknamed 'The Clarets' :lol:

Pre-season was pretty good, only narrowly lost to Hearts 2-1, beat Grimsby 3-0, and just lost to West Ham reserves 3-2.

I've played 6 games so far in the league, won every one and got manager of the month award :ahee:

I signed a striker called Javlon Campbell after one of those England Trialist games, and he scores a load.
And my 2 central midfielders (Corcoran and Rainford) are banging in goals from 25 yards every other game! They're my 2 joint top goalscorers!

So it's all going to plan so far!

My local team, do me proud :sly:

I had also planned to do a save taking them to the Prem in the summer (after exams ofc), so naturally I'll chart your progress :wink: :holmes: Good luck!

Rainford has better be your captain by the way, he's a beast :hmmm:
Reply 6749
So I checked, and I have an in-game son! :woo:

Although he's 15, and I'm 32 :lol:, and he's also **** :frown:.
Wanna him keep him around for sentimental reasons obv though.

Has anybody ever had two or even three sons come through the academy? (It would be nice to have a world beater. :teeth:)
Original post by Nut.
So I checked, and I have an in-game son! :woo:

Although he's 15, and I'm 32 :lol:, and he's also **** :frown:.
Wanna him keep him around for sentimental reasons obv though.

Has anybody ever had two or even three sons come through the academy? (It would be nice to have a world beater. :teeth:)

Same surname and in your favoured personnel? :zomg:

And ha, better get him on some intensive training :p:
Reply 6751
Original post by Champagne Supernova
My local team, do me proud :sly:

I had also planned to do a save taking them to the Prem in the summer (after exams ofc), so naturally I'll chart your progress :wink: :holmes: Good luck!

Rainford has better be your captain by the way, he's a beast :hmmm:

Yeah he's my captain! he's unreal!
I just won my 8th league game, 8 wins out of 8! :cool:

It was a close one though. Losing 1-0 up until the 80th minute when we equalised. And then instead of settling for a draw, in an attempt to maintain my winning streak (Chelmsford's record for most in a row may I add!) I decided to switch to 'Overload', and in the 89th minute got the winner! It was a great moment, or as I stated in my press conference "what football's all about" :lol:

Also, Adam Tann and Kenny Clark at the back! They've both been awesome so far, 3 goals each so far in 8 games!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 6752
Same surname and in your favoured personnel? :zomg:

And ha, better get him on some intensive training :p:

Yup :yep: he's called Billy.

He's aggressive, and fairly quick (16 for agg, 15 for pace and acc at age 15, and his tackling is okish... he's a DR, so there may yet be hope :tongue:)
Reply 6753
Original post by Nut.

Although he's 15, and I'm 32 :lol:

Having a kid at 17 isn't all that strange nowadays! :tongue:
Got that out of the way early so that you could focus on your managerial career!
Reply 6754
Original post by Cll_ws
Having a kid at 17 isn't all that strange nowadays! :tongue:
Got that out of the way early so that you could focus on your managerial career!

Haha true :tongue:

Maybe if I play this save for long enough he'll go into management and I'll have grandkids playing under my manager-ship... :moon:
Original post by Cll_ws
Yeah he's my captain! he's unreal!
I just won my 8th league game, 8 wins out of 8! :cool:

It was a close one though. Losing 1-0 up until the 80th minute when we equalised. And then instead of settling for a draw, in an attempt to maintain my winning streak (Chelmsford's record for most in a row may I add!) I decided to switch to 'Overload', and in the 89th minute got the winner! It was a great moment, or as I stated in my press conference "what football's all about" :lol:

Also, Adam Tann and Kenny Clark at the back! They've both been awesome so far, 3 goals each so far in 8 games!

Excellent news :biggrin: Glad to see you've gotten off to a great start! It's a shame they're not on such form in real life. :emo:

Original post by Nut.
Yup :yep: he's called Billy.

He's aggressive, and fairly quick (16 for agg, 15 for pace and acc at age 15, and his tackling is okish... he's a DR, so there may yet be hope :tongue:)

Sounds like he needs training up on technicals really. Give him some chances in the first team in the early FA/league cup rounds maybe. :holmes: As for him going into management, screw that, convince him to become an Assistant (when he's thinking about retiring), then take him on :colone:
Reply 6756

Sounds like he needs training up on technicals really. Give him some chances in the first team in the early FA/league cup rounds maybe. :holmes: As for him going into management, screw that, convince him to become an Assistant (when he's thinking about retiring), then take him on :colone:

Now that sounds like a plan... it's almost worth holidaying the next 15 years to get to that point :colone:
I have a real chance to win the CL this season on my Napoli career, I played Schalke in the last 16 and won 8-1 on aggregate. Now im against Benfica in the Quarters and either Sporting or Atletico in the Semis. Hopefully Spurs and Leverkusen can upset the odds and knock out Barca and Real in the other half of the draw. I don't think ive ever seen such a weak looking last 8 tbh.

I'm also in the Coppa Italia final and 4 points behind in the league with 9 games to go. I've won 25 of my last 27 in all competitions. :adore:
Reply 6758
Excellent news :biggrin: Glad to see you've gotten off to a great start! It's a shame they're not on such form in real life. :emo:

My winning streak ended after 10 games :frown: I drew to Havant and Waterlooville who are just behind me in 2nd (well they were then, i'm now 10 points clear :biggrin:)
I continued unbeaten for 18 games until I suffered my first competitive loss as a manager, which was heart breaking!
But during this time I set both Chelmsford's and the Blue Square South's record for most wins in a row, plus the Blue Square South's unbeaten streak record (Chelmsford's was 19 games, which was the game I suffered my first loss in!)
I got to the 1st round of the FA Cup, where I lost 2-1 to Swindon. And i'm still in the FA Trophy after beating Gateshead last round.

I've had 3 manager of the month awards out of 4, I didn't get it that month I lost my first game.

Adam Tann at centre-back is incredible, a striker would be happy with his goal tally! :tongue: I'm pretty sure he's averaging a goal every other game.

I'm chuffed with how it's going seeing as I haven't played FM for a good 3/4 years! :lol:
Reply 6759
I'm getting into this fairly well, I think. :biggrin: After a quick trying out of things with Arsenal, I decided to go for a game starting unemployed with the Hungarian and Austrian leagues activated to begin with. Got a job with Hungarian Division II-East side Szeged 2011, and after a bit of a bad start (the 0-0 away to begin with would have been a lot sweeter if it hadn't been against 9 men, and the 0-5 at home really stung) I've been doing fairly well, grinding out wins at home at least plus one win away. After 7 games, I'm quite comfortable in 8th place with a team predicted to finish 13th (out of 16). :u:

On the game itself, I love the fact that you can add and remove leagues in between seasons, makes a massive difference to the whole dynamics of it! :biggrin: I also really like the Backroom Advice function, and the negotiations have gotten a lot more interesting with agents and everything. Still getting used to the more in-depth tactics and stuff, and the obvious differences from FM09. :colondollar: On a slight downside, I'm not a big fan of the players fading in and out for the highlights/match engine. :eyebrow:
(edited 11 years ago)

Latest