The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I signed Michael Owen to my Arsenal side and then he stayed on as a coach. I don't think he'll ever leave!
Original post by Black Mammoth
I signed Michael Owen to my Arsenal side and then he stayed on as a coach. I don't think he'll ever leave!

Is he a good coach?

Dirk Kuyt - an amazing coach!! Most of his coaching stats are 15< !!!
(other than defending..... you can't expect a striker/winger to be a defence coach :wink: )
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Angry cucumber
Is he a good coach?

(other than defending..... you can't expect a striker/winger to be a defender :wink: )

Nah he's not amazing. Mostly 12s and 13s although Man Management is 18 which is quite good. Martin Keown is a great coach if you're looking for some former legends too.
Reply 6783
Stoke have Antonio Valencia and Danny Welbeck on my save, and I'm only 4 seasons in, they signed them both for £2.5m each....
Playing as deportivo now. I keep thinking I've lowered the speed setting on my game, but no, my squad is just that slow.
Reply 6785
Original post by Angry cucumber
Is he a good coach?

(other than defending..... you can't expect a striker/winger to be a defence coach :wink: )

A shame he didn't turn out like that for me :frown:. I brought home to Feyenoord about 7 seasons in to Coach the kids just for sentimental reasons, his coaching was average at best.
I just played a game to a capacity crowd of 3000 in the spanish 2nd division. When Deportivo were winning the league in 99/00 this club were semi-professional nobodies languishing in the 4th division, and now I had to grind a 1-0 result. In real life they're 5th in the table. I'd love to see Messi and Ronaldo playing matches infront of 3000 people.
Overall on FM 12?

400+ iirc.
play time in the last 2 weeks is 137 hours, but I leave it on a lot.
I prefer not to look as it makes me feel sick the amount of time I waste on it xD.
I've played at least 20 days on it. That doesn't include the other games I've played which add a couple of days it's just the real sociedad game, I left it on for probably 2/3 days. So most likely 20 days.
Reply 6791
27 days on FM 11 :colondollar:
Lost the first leg of the first knockout round in the CL 2-0 away to Marseille. :facepalm2:

Edit: Lost 4-1 on agg. My days, worst CL performance for ages. :nothing: Lost the Carling Cup final as well. :facepalm2: I better win the league..
(edited 11 years ago)
Right, so I got Truro on their way to promotion to the BSP, when Dagenham & Redbridge offered me the job.

They were 23rd in League Two, but they had a little bit of wage cap left and it was before the end of the transfer window, so I naturally chose to jump ship. Got them up to 17th, and I'm currently sat in 4th 12 games into the next season - got Jay Simpson on loan and signed a free-scoring 17 y/o from Bournemouth.

Wycombe keep offering me the job but I keep refusing. :colonhash:

Might jump to a League One or higher club if one comes calling though.
I think I'm on about forty days. :erm: So many more productive things could have been accomplished in that time. :colondollar:
Reply 6795
Original post by marcusmerehay
Right, so I got Truro on their way to promotion to the BSP, when Dagenham & Redbridge offered me the job.

They were 23rd in League Two, but they had a little bit of wage cap left and it was before the end of the transfer window, so I naturally chose to jump ship. Got them up to 17th, and I'm currently sat in 4th 12 games into the next season - got Jay Simpson on loan and signed a free-scoring 17 y/o from Bournemouth.

Wycombe keep offering me the job but I keep refusing. :colonhash:

Might jump to a League One or higher club if one comes calling though.

I'm playing with Chelmsford City, they're in the BSS same as Truro. Just got them promoted to the BSP with 5 games to spare. But throughout the season I was being linked with jobs as big as Aston Villa and West Brom! And then I was also favourite to take over at Portsmouth and Scunthorpe. I ruled myself out of all of them though, I will get Chelmsford into the Premiership! :colone:
34 wins, 5 draws, 3 losses in my first season with Chelmsford, not bad at all. Hopefully I can continue that in the BSP!
Started a new game with Forest Green Rovers (as they're about 10/15 mins up the road). Won the reserve game 4-0 and am trying to sign Fornasier from United's U18s in 48 months installments. Also trying to sign a couple of their youth players on loan to beef up the squad.

Also offered one of my U18 goalkeepers a professional contract even though the scout says he isn't good enough just because I know him. Not going to use him, just for sentimental reasons.

I'm using this file so I can move to any club I want if I get offered a job. Annoyingly I accidentally saved it over my Norwich save - so that's lost :angry: (I do have a back up save, but it's before the season began and I hadn't signed anyone yet).
Original post by Cll_ws
I mostly use a 4-1-4-1 formation. Well it's more of a 4-1-2-2-1, with a defensive midfielder, 2 centre midfielders, 2 attacking wingers and a lone striker up front.
I was playing Bent upfront on his own as well, I didn't have much of a choice though as Agbonlahor got injured for 5 months and I sold Heskey! But Weimann wasn't bad either, he scored a few goals when he played (he was the lone striker for a few games after Bent got injured for a few weeks!)

It sounds like you managed to get some decent players, my one and only signing was Taarabt which I would of rather not had! I just couldn't get the money from anywhere to buy any decent players.

The 4-1-2-2-1 sounds a lot like the 4-5-1 with a V shaped midfield. I was getting bored of rotating the same 3 formations for 3 seasons. I may look into 3-4-3/3-6-1/3-5-2 or something when I get the resources.
Contemplating training Agbonlahor in attacking midfield. Could be interesting.

I will try Weimann more on my next Villa save, I've never really used him before.

Yeah I managed some great signings. Snapped up Essien on loan who was great in the midfield with Petrov and the ever developing Delph. Also got a half decent centre back in called Callens, and another who's name escapes me. Just before the end of my save I signed Mbaye Niang for £18m and he was just sensational. Definitely going to buy him as soon as I start my next save.

The money issue is difficult. I won the league cup in my first and second seasons (I found the other big sides didn't take it seriously). I also won the FA Cup in my second season, as well as the Comms Shield at the start of my 3rd, so I had a healthy amount of prize money, my league finishes were 7th and 10th, started to reach the top 4 in my 3rd year. Plus Heskey, Beye and Warnock all left on a free, which freed up almost £150k p/w in wages, which translates to A LOT of transfer monies for a side like the Villa. Obviously gate receipts were high as well, and the stadium was expanded. I had an easy ride to be honest. Hoping the next career I do is a bit tougher. I'd never played FM before either. Gonna make getting better backroom staff etc. from the off a priority.
Tbf he'd still only be 27/28 then, his pace will tail off over the next few years.
Keeping sub fitness up is a lot harder with the Spanish "B" team rather than reserves. I really don't like that, not to mention having to register under 21s making my squad size undersized. How is it in italy? Might try sampdoria.

Edit: apparently no restrictions. My major issue is just the lack of a reserve team to keep match fitness up with.
(edited 11 years ago)