Haha, makes sense. I'll keep an eye out next year? :wink:
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol
Original post by punctuation
Haha, makes sense. I'll keep an eye out next year? :wink:

only if you get in?!:tongue:
Reply 7142
Hi I was wondering if anyone could offer any insight into Baddock or Hiatt-Baker halls as they seem pretty similar and I'm getting really stressed out about this whole application process!
Reply 7143
After reading through a fair chunk of this thread it seems that relatively few people are looking at Wills Hall as a first choice, does anybody know how competitive the applications process for Wills is? Thanks
Reply 7144
Original post by Beerey
After reading through a fair chunk of this thread it seems that relatively few people are looking at Wills Hall as a first choice, does anybody know how competitive the applications process for Wills is? Thanks

It's the most popular catered hall - 3 applicants per place last time I checked :smile:
Original post by alexsheppard11
only if you get in?!:tongue:

Well I've already achieved the conditions of my offer so... you'd better hide next year. :tongue:

Original post by sweets93
x

Fellow Psych & Philo applicant! :hi: Join the Facebook group: http://www.facebook.com/groups/bristolfirmers2012
I'm thinking about applying to share a room at Wills which I know is extremely risky - it's mainly down to my financial situation :frown: Thoughts on sharing a room?
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by hiyamynameissoph
I'm thinking about applying to share a room at Wills which I know is extremely risky - it's mainly down to my financial situation :frown: Thoughts on sharing a room?

Tbh I can't say cause I have experienced it, but I have a friend at UCL who really enjoys their shared room. Personally I say it's probably much better than it sounds, but then again it's also quite a bit of luck involved, completely depending on who you are sharing with and how well you two get on, but I'm sure it would be fine if that's what ya choose :smile:
Does anyone have photos of The Hawthorns apart from the ones on Bristol's website. They're a bit too vague to get a good idea of what the rooms are like. :colonhash:

I'm thinking The Hawthorns and then Durdham as my first and second accom. choices. :smile:
Reply 7149
Oooh the accommodation prices went up last night :smile: I'm thinking Hawthorns or Colston Street now. I was thinking the smaller houses but I think too few people might be a bit risky!
Reply 7150
My mate goes to Bristol and lives in University Hall. He's told me that its the best place to live if you want a good social life and claims that Durdum is 'Dulldum' because everyone is boring, people with ensuites are recluses and Wills is full of people who go on yachting holidays whilst wearing a sweater tied around their shoulders.

Another one of my friends who lives in Durdum has confirmed that it is dull, but I'm not sure whether to believe the UH hype. Granted the halls are small, but when i've visited, everyone seemed keen for a good time. I can't imagine anything worse than getting to Uni, knowing nobody and having a rubbish social life because everyone sits in their room the whole time (an experience had by another friend in Solent)

Any opinions?
Reply 7151
university hall vs goldney?!?!
Reply 7152
If I pick Bristol as my insurance will I end up in really bad accommodation..if I end up having to go to it as my insurance due to not getting into my firm?

Need any answer asap
Original post by georget1
If I pick Bristol as my insurance will I end up in really bad accommodation..if I end up having to go to it as my insurance due to not getting into my firm?

Need any answer asap

Yeah, unfortunately. Accommodation closes July 12th or something, which is before results. If you realise after results you need accommodation, you're not guaranteed a place. You may have to go to private accommodation.
Original post by georget1

Need any answer asap

It's really pot luck, I know people in Hiatt Baker and various other halls who had Bristol as insurance, but also know of people who had to find private accommodations cause they couldn't get anything, so just gotta hope for the best I suppose and get your application in as soon as you can when you know what's going on.

One of my best friends is in a shared room at Wills, he's loved it and everyone I know who has shared rooms have become really good friends. The only downside for you may be the layout. If you're in a B room you have to walk through the first person's room to get access. That isn't for everybody. However, as a Wills girl (in fact I'm this coming year's JCR president) I can promise you, Wills is a fantastic hall to live in and you'll not regret your decision to apply.
I think I've made my mind up in that I want to stay at Stoke Bishop but I'm not too sure on which halls.

I was looking forward to starting a new diet plan and hitting the gym hard so I was thinking self catered. Also are there any decent gym's in the stoke bishop area? And I know most people won't know this but are there any MMA (mixed martial arts) gyms in the stoke bishp area?

I also want to have a decent social life; best halls for planning events and going out etc but I also want to be able to work in piece and quiet? (Are there study rooms or are the rooms quiet etc)

How near is the main nightlife to stoke bishop and how is its general location (supermarkets, shopping, sport etc)?

I've looked at University Hall and Durdham but after reading some posts Durdham sounds really boring and University Hall sounds quite shabby. Can anyone confirm this is complete BS or should I have a look at other places?

Thanks in advance.
Original post by silverlightbeam
One of my best friends is in a shared room at Wills, he's loved it and everyone I know who has shared rooms have become really good friends. The only downside for you may be the layout. If you're in a B room you have to walk through the first person's room to get access. That isn't for everybody. However, as a Wills girl (in fact I'm this coming year's JCR president) I can promise you, Wills is a fantastic hall to live in and you'll not regret your decision to apply.

this is so helpful! I've been looking into it quite a lot and I don't really think I'd mind sharing a room. I'm so excited now!
Reply 7158
this is so helpful! I've been looking into it quite a lot and I don't really think I'd mind sharing a room. I'm so excited now!

When I shared room in Manor House, we literally shared one room, ie two beds, two desks, two of everything in the same room. It wasn't a problem and I would do it again. I think it is worth the money you save and also it is quite fun :wink: Just make sure you bring headphones and wouldn't mind if your roommate happens to be messy... any questions, just ask.
Reply 7159
Unless you're very posh go for UH.

I'm on Freshers crew this year and it's going to be sick. We've hand picked the people who will give you the best time. Rooms are no smaller than the Hiatt Baker rooms, but smaller than Wills. En-suites are slightly excluded though I'm mates with a few of them from one of the blocks and it's no real issue.

Gym is a bit of a mare from Stoke-Bishop, if you're looking to focus on the gym/MMA stay in one of the Clifton halls or something as it will usually take an hour or so travelling (there and back) to go to the uni gym. If you bring a bike it's not a big deal though.

As for Goldney vs UH - if you want a good time, go to UH. If you want a nice building, go to Goldney. The one time I went to Goldney this year for a night out it was an absolute joke, very, very boring.

Latest