The Student Room Group

How do I drop out of univeristy and are there charges?

So basically I have been at Birmingham City University and I have been doing a media and communications course for a year now.
Things have happened and now I'm going to be moving to America with my dad.
How do I go about telling the univeristy I have to leave? And will I face any charges? What will I have to pay back?
Reply 1
Original post by Doubledonkeydare
So basically I have been at Birmingham City University and I have been doing a media and communications course for a year now.
Things have happened and now I'm going to be moving to America with my dad.
How do I go about telling the univeristy I have to leave? And will I face any charges? What will I have to pay back?

Go to your undergraduate administator, or email your private tutor (if you have one), as well as the fees office.

You won't face a charge. You will have to pay your fees and any loan you received at the same rate as every body else.

Good luck, hope you get into a top American Uni!

Oh, and student finance so they don't try and chase you up.
Reply 2
Original post by CUFCDan
Go to your undergraduate administator, or email your private tutor (if you have one), as well as the fees office.

You won't face a charge. You will have to pay your fees and any loan you received at the same rate as every body else.

Good luck, hope you get into a top American Uni!

Oh, and student finance so they don't try and chase you up.

Actually..I'm not sure if student finance can make you pay back your student loans if you've moved to a non-EU country. I'm sure I've heard of cases of folks moving abroad and somehow not paying fees..
Reply 3
Original post by joey11223
Actually..I'm not sure if student finance can make you pay back your student loans if you've moved to a non-EU country. I'm sure I've heard of cases of folks moving abroad and somehow not paying fees..

Well if you do a runner, close your bank account etc then it'll be pretty hard for them to find you. But it's still possible, and maybe not worth the risk:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/borrowing/8381263/Why-your-student-loan-could-cost-you-350-a-month-more.html

Those living undeclared in the Netherlands or New Zealand are looking at a deduction of £246 per month, while US and Portugal residents will see £196 extracted. This compares to the £37.50 that UK graduates earning £20,000 would typically be required to pay back each month

[...]

"Graduates believe that living abroad for a certain number of years, usually six, will result in student loans being cancelled altogether," said David Malcolm, head of social policy at the National Union of Students.

Quick Reply

Latest