The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Theon is a dick, can't believe I used to like him.
Original post by Michaelj
Theon is a dick, can't believe I used to like him.

It's natural to feel that way. :lol:
Yeah this was a good episode.

Anyone else think the guy who plays Littlefinger is really good? Quite Gary Oldman-esque.

Its nice to see the Hound come in to his own more, he's one of my favourites from the books, that scene was pretty well done but I seem to recall the Hound being even more bad-ass in that part in the books, because when the riot gets particularly ugly I'm pretty sure people assume he must have been overwhelmed but then he returns all covered in blood. I also remember a pretty nasty aside about how one of the women in the group got raped several hundred times or something...
Reply 1323
Original post by Aphotic Cosmos
Yeah, I get that a lot. New character introduced, check one of the GOT/ASOIAF wikis, and my eye catches a spoiler. So hard to resist checking up on it.

I loved episode 6. I felt really sorry for Theon, even more so than I did for Bran. Poor guy just wants to be loved, but he is a bit of a plonker.

By far my favourite character in the show at the moment has to be Tywin Lannister. Charles Dance owns each episode he's in.

Spoiler

Whenever I get mixed up with the names I have a quick google to see who they are and likewise, I see a spoiler. The wiki's are the bane of my life at the minute.

Not much of a spoiler, but just incase someone isn't quite up to date with the series yet;

Spoiler

I'm the opposite with Sandor, the series make him so much more dull and more "dog" like. Though I get a feeling from the books he isn't completely what he seems, but I don't be sure until I read more hopefully.
Reply 1324
Original post by SillyRodent

Anyone else think the guy who plays Littlefinger is really good? Quite Gary Oldman-esque.

Its nice to see the Hound come in to his own more, he's one of my favourites from the books, that scene was pretty well done but I seem to recall the Hound being even more bad-ass in that part in the books, because when the riot gets particularly ugly I'm pretty sure people assume he must have been overwhelmed but then he returns all covered in blood. I also remember a pretty nasty aside about how one of the women in the group got raped several hundred times or something...

Actually, I think he's the worst actor in the series by a long way. His accent, his face, his delivery... everything about him annoys me.
Original post by Rant
Actually, I think he's the worst actor in the series by a long way. His accent, his face, his delivery... everything about him annoys me.

This is madness in my eyes but nevertheless who do you particularly rate then?

I don't think the TV show has really given the Hound enough attention/screen time. In the books you are given much more insight into the Hound and his personality, and he comes across as much more of a badass before the riots in the novels.
Reply 1327
This is madness in my eyes but nevertheless who do you particularly rate then?

Any of the others over him.

I'm not too fond of the guy playing Jon but that's partially a problem with writing and the age thing (he's much younger in the books).

Tyrion and Twin are great... all the Lannisters, really.

All the Stark kids, although Sansa is a little bit more petulant than she is in the books.

Renly was good but a bit too wimpy, he's supposed to be wiser in the books, or at least shrewd.

Catelyn grew on me, I never particularly liked the character in the books.

Varys was great.

Dany is a bit patchy but overall very good.

Minor characters: Hodor is too old imo, Maester Luwin is as good as/better than in the books, same with Jorah Mormont and his father.
Reply 1328
Tbf nearly all the characters are older in the show, not just Jon, for obvious reasons.

Edit: Agree with most of your post though, a majority of the actors/actresses are spot on for me.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1329
It'd be ridiculous to have them the same age as in the books. Complaining over that is idiotic at best :dontknow:
Reply 1330
Original post by Mess.
It'd be ridiculous to have them the same age as in the books. Complaining over that is idiotic at best :dontknow:

Erm, you missed the point. Jon's entire character comes off as overly-petulant and immature in the show because of the age-change. Other characters don't have this problem to the same degree.

Think about it. His reactions and actions in series 1 make sense for a young teenage boy, but for an older one they just make him seem spoilt and obnoxious.

If they had to change the ages (which they didn't... calling me "idiotic" for stating that makes you seem rather immature yourself...) then they should have adjusted his character accordingly. They didn't, so it jarred. Many, many people picked up on this.
Reply 1331
Original post by Rant
Erm, you missed the point. Jon's entire character comes off as overly-petulant and immature in the show because of the age-change. Other characters don't have this problem to the same degree.

Think about it. His reactions and actions in series 1 make sense for a young teenage boy, but for an older one they just make him seem spoilt and obnoxious.

If they had to change the ages (which they didn't... calling me "idiotic" for stating that makes you seem rather immature yourself...) then they should have adjusted his character accordingly. They didn't, so it jarred. Many, many people picked up on this.

Then people whine about his character not being at all similar to his character in the book. People whinge over everything and in this instance it really doesn't matter at all.
Original post by Mess.
Then people whine about his character not being at all similar to his character in the book. People whinge over everything and in this instance it really doesn't matter at all.

They couldn't have made a better choice than to make all the children older in the series, GRRM now says he would have made them older in the first place. The funny thing is that they made all the parents generation SO old e.g. Ned and Robert are ridiculously much older.
(edited 11 years ago)
I'm glad they aged everyone up otherwise you'd see twenty something year olds banging little kids, and then it'd be sick. I don't think Jon acts like a teenager, just a frigid, honourable and socially awkward man. I like his story arc but I can see why people don't like the character... Anyone seen the gormless Jon/Jaime picture? It was quite funny.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1334
It was either age them all up or sacrifice so many potential scenes. In the end it's a simple choice really.
Reply 1335
I have to disagree that aging the characters was a bad move, though I think they made Jon look a little too old. He looks in his early 20s with that bloody beard, but I can't argue that I dislike it. I think he was a good choice of actor, especially considering he looks like Sean compared to the actor who plays Rob and Bran who resemble Catelyn much more than Ned.

The Hound definitely needs more screentime, they kind of throw him away in the series by trying to portray him too much like Joffrey's lacky. The chapter where he takes Sansa and he rambles about how he got the scars would have been much more powerful if they actually showed that rather than have Baelish comment on it.

I'm not sure what to make of the actor for Baelish. He seems to match but his performance feels.. like it could be better, but something is holding him back and I'm just waiting for him to shine. I see why he's doing it, but it doesn't come off as well as it could.
Reply 1336
Original post by Xhotas
I have to disagree that aging the characters was a bad move, though I think they made Jon look a little too old. He looks in his early 20s with that bloody beard, but I can't argue that I dislike it. I think he was a good choice of actor, especially considering he looks like Sean compared to the actor who plays Rob and Bran who resemble Catelyn much more than Ned.

The Hound definitely needs more screentime, they kind of throw him away in the series by trying to portray him too much like Joffrey's lacky. The chapter where he takes Sansa and he rambles about how he got the scars would have been much more powerful if they actually showed that rather than have Baelish comment on it.

I'm not sure what to make of the actor for Baelish. He seems to match but his performance feels.. like it could be better, but something is holding him back and I'm just waiting for him to shine. I see why he's doing it, but it doesn't come off as well as it could.

I want to know how he manages to jet around Westeros so fast! I bet he's invented a car :wink:
Original post by failingatm

Spoiler

:rofl2:

Original post by Delta_Aitch

Spoiler

Tyrion :adore:

(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Ape Gone Insane

Been on reddit recently? :colonhash: :colonhash:

Spoiler

(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Ape Gone Insane

:rofl2:
:adore:
Original post by failingatm
Been on reddit recently? :colonhash: :colonhash:

Spoiler

lmfao, god, you're such a bloodhound when it comes to sniffing out sources :angry:

Latest

Trending

Trending