The Student Room Group

Modern Studies Essay Questions

What are the main differences between Discuss, to what extent and asses? The explanations ive heard all sound the same.

I usually just do for and against for them all :smile:

Is it like this?

Discuss - Is a balanced essay - 1 or 2 points for and 1 or 2 points against

To what extent - Is less balanced - All paragraphs are "for" but you say however at the end of each to suggest that they are only "for" to a certain extent

i have no idea about structuring an assess question :frown:

could someone please lay out the basic structures of each? thanks.
Reply 1
Original post by Connor Wyse
What are the main differences between Discuss, to what extent and asses? The explanations ive heard all sound the same.

I usually just do for and against for them all :smile:

Is it like this?

Discuss - Is a balanced essay - 1 or 2 points for and 1 or 2 points against

To what extent - Is less balanced - All paragraphs are "for" but you say however at the end of each to suggest that they are only "for" to a certain extent

i have no idea about structuring an assess question :frown:

could someone please lay out the basic structures of each? thanks.

To be honest, i have never really paid attention if the question says discuss or to what extent. If i see an essay question paper i know immediately if it's asking me to write atleast 1 factor for then 4 against etc. If you are really eager to know then you could always look at the marking instructions on sqa website for modern studies past papers and compare the solutions to the question
Reply 2
Original post by StudyAk
To be honest, i have never really paid attention if the question says discuss or to what extent. If i see an essay question paper i know immediately if it's asking me to write atleast 1 factor for then 4 against etc. If you are really eager to know then you could always look at the marking instructions on sqa website for modern studies past papers and compare the solutions to the question

But surely there is some important difference between them? i get marked down for not structuring my essays correctly.
Reply 3
I got an A, and I basically ignored the question word. The way I saw it there were two different types of essay: there was the one where I was arguing just two different things (for example, to what extent are the powers of the prime minister in decline). Here I would write two big paragraphs, each made up of about 4-5 small point with an example for every point. Each side of the essay is totally balanced.

The other type, which was generally most common in wealth and health is where you write about 5 paragraphs. One examining the isolated factor, and then another four discussing other factors. Each paragraph would have about 4-6 points, each with an example.

To be honest, my essays were very boring and formulatic, and they probably weren't very exciting to read, but they made for a strong argument, and to be honest they got me my grade which is all that matters. I know that a lot of teachers try and say that you should be more creative in structure, but they are lying. At higher level, a boring structure will get you an A as long as the facts are there.
In my introduction I change it between "will discuss", "will measure", "will assess" etc.

I don't think there's a major difference between them, it's never been mentioned to me anyway
Reply 5
Discuss is more asking you to talk about factors and overall give a balanced conclusion for both sides so to speak.

Where a "to what extent" is more asking you to measure and give a conclusion either side while still mentioning the other side of the argument. I think balance is key in both essays.
Reply 6
Assess the impact/importance/influence of…
You should address the impact
etc of the given factor in causing or influencing an event or development, examine other factors that also had an influence, support this with exemplification, and provide
balanced comment on the importance of the given factor relative to others.

Assess the effectiveness of……
You should address the aims of
the given development/policy, and then use exemplification to illustrate both the aspects where the aims were fulfilled and those areas where they were partially or not fulfilled, and provide balanced comment on the degree to which the measure was effective.

Critically examine the view that……
You should address the given view,
all or parts which may be contentious, analyse the aspects which are valid and which are not, with supporting exemplification, and provide balanced comment on the degree to which the view is valid.

“Statement”. Discuss…..
You should challenge each aspect of
the statement, giving a balanced treatment of each in terms of
argument and supporting exemplification, and provide a balanced view of the statement.

Critically examine the effects of…
You should address both the positive and the negative effects of the given development, supporting analysis with evidence, and provide balanced comment on the degree of benefit of the development.

Critically examine the role of/part played by…
You should define and describe the role of the institution(s)/body within the larger given issue, analyse both particular aspects and the overall place of the factor, supporting this with exemplification, refer to other factors and conclude with a balanced view of the nature and importance of its role.

To what extent…
You should address this as a ‘for and against’ question, citing and supporting ways that exemplify, for example, progress has been made, as well as ways in which it has not; comment will be quantitive rather than qualitive.
Reply 7
But surely there is some important difference between them? i get marked down for not structuring my essays correctly.

When you realised you were getting marks down for structuring your essay why did you not talk to your teacher about it?
Reply 8
Original post by StudyAk
When you realised you were getting marks down for structuring your essay why did you not talk to your teacher about it?

for reasons im not going to get into :P
Reply 9
for reasons im not going to get into :P

haha, ok. I think if you really need an in depth explanation then Scottish19 pretty much covers it all
Reply 10
We get told to do P-point E-Explain E-evidence then do then same thing but make it as balance :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending