The Student Room Group

OCR AS Philosophy and Ethics Exam 16th May 2012

Scroll to see replies

Hello, I sat this exam back in january this year and am due to resit it in 2 weeks. I only have one problem.. And that is structure! I also study history language and literature and in those exams its essential to get the structure right, but no matter how many times I aske my teacher about the structure she only replies 'don't worry' !? Does anyone know anything specific about the structure of the answers?

Reply 21
Original post by ManPowa
Here You go :smile:

Have you got the papers for ethics-AS please:smile:
(edited 11 years ago)

Same here, I'm not a big fan of the applied stuff :frown: But others in my class seem to like it.
I know how to do them, I just don't like doing them :colondollar: The issues are depressing! But I know I can't escape them.
Plus I never did Ethics at GCSE- we did Buddhism and Christianity. *pouts* I wanted to do Islam as well! :rolleyes:
Reply 24
Is everyone more worried for Philosophy? I sure am
Reply 25
Original post by okonomiyaki
I know how to do them, I just don't like doing them :colondollar: The issues are depressing! But I know I can't escape them.
Plus I never did Ethics at GCSE- we did Buddhism and Christianity. *pouts* I wanted to do Islam as well! :rolleyes:

I do Islam AS and A2 plus ethics.

Islam Is really goood in terms of specification.
Reply 26
Is there any predictions for Philosophy?
Reply 27
What are the grade boundries in terms of raw marks? in general? :smile: thanks
Reply 28
Or what, in general, are the UMS to raw marks conversion boundries for a particular grade if any one knows? xx
Reply 29
Original post by liam1994
For philosophy, I'm hoping the moral argument comes up.
Or Plato's cave. If not, I may as well give up now!

And problem of evil - I would cry with happiness. I genuinely would PERFECT EXAM.
Reply 30
Original post by anniema
Or what, in general, are the UMS to raw marks conversion boundries for a particular grade if any one knows? xx

I'm not certain but I know that
80/100 UMS is an A
70/100 UMS is a B
60/100 UMS is a C etc

so to get an A you'd probably have to get around 56/70 raw marks
for a B about 49/70 raw marks
for a C about 42/70 raw marks
I hope this helps :smile:
Reply 31
I asked my exams lady person (technical term) if I could bring in a stop watch to the exam, and she said yes, as long as it doesn't bleep - so if you remember 25 mins on A, then WHEN IT TURNS TO 25 STOP and do B for twenty mins. I find that's a really good way to sort the times! Hope that helps.
Reply 32
My teacher also mentioned the teleological argument as a prediction. Can anyone help, I got a B 74 UMS for ethics which is 1/2, so what raw mark would I need to get A overall? I cannot stand suggested timing for individual questions, I don't even spend the recommended time on each question, do people stick to them I find this extremely difficult lol.....
Reply 33
Hello

Has anyone got the jan 2012 ocr AS ethics and islam paper
Reply 34
Original post by JenniGold
My teacher also mentioned the teleological argument as a prediction. Can anyone help, I got a B 74 UMS for ethics which is 1/2, so what raw mark would I need to get A overall? I cannot stand suggested timing for individual questions, I don't even spend the recommended time on each question, do people stick to them I find this extremely difficult lol.....

You'd need 86 UMS, which, depending on the exam paper, is likely to be around 60 raw marks out of 70 (though this is a percentage- as far as I know, OCR do not release the UMS conversion). Hope that helps.
Reply 35
Original post by anniema
You'd need 86 UMS, which, depending on the exam paper, is likely to be around 60 raw marks out of 70 (though this is a percentage- as far as I know, OCR do not release the UMS conversion). Hope that helps.

ah thank you!
Any predictions for Ethics?
Reply 37
Hi, just wondering if anyone thinks Natural Law or Abortion may come up in this exam? ;s
Reply 38
Original post by Id and Ego seek
Any predictions for Ethics?

kant relativism/absolutism euthanasia and genetic engineering is what philosophicalinvestigations.co.uk thinks
Reply 39
Original post by Jadalyn
Hi, just wondering if anyone thinks Natural Law or Abortion may come up in this exam? ;s

Not saying dont revise that (very risky) but Id suggest read a bit more about euthanasia and kants theoryy :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending