The Student Room Group

Edexcel French Listening 14 may 2012

Scroll to see replies

Hi, Just to let you know the answer was Annecy not Nice. My teacher went through the paper afterwards with us - right at the end they say something about Lyon being bad and he says 'Nice also' and then slighly slips in 'But at Annecy they have lots of demonstrations and fireworks in the evening' - I got it wrong also.

And to whoever said about the girl going to her aunt because she mentions 'tante' she says they couldve have stayed there but decided to rent a small house instead!

Hopefully got a high A maybe A* if the marks are kind, hoping my other grades will bring it up!
Reply 21
Yeah i thought it was Annecy. At the end what I heard was they said something about Nice then very quickly said something about Annecy and then the girl said something like "good, let's go there" and seeing as they had said Annecy more recently than Nice I assumed "there" meant Annecy.

I seem to remember a couple of the ones in the hypermarché question were a little tricky. Anyone got any ideas?
The hypermarché was the hardest multiple choice one,
i had to guess 2,
One of them said that sometimes its more expensive than markets, (I think)
Reply 23
Original post by Lucilou101
Hi, Just to let you know the answer was Annecy not Nice. My teacher went through the paper afterwards with us - right at the end they say something about Lyon being bad and he says 'Nice also' and then slighly slips in 'But at Annecy they have lots of demonstrations and fireworks in the evening' - I got it wrong also.

Ah, looks like my teacher was wrong then. Do you think this was harder than the June 2010/2011?
Reply 24
Please upload a mark scheme/transcript, if you have one! Thanks guys:biggrin:
Reply 25
Original post by OllieWebb
Please upload a mark scheme/transcript, if you have one! Thanks guys:biggrin:

Seconded.
Reply 26

And to whoever said about the girl going to her aunt because she mentions 'tante' she says they couldve have stayed there but decided to rent a small house instead!

Hopefully got a high A maybe A* if the marks are kind, hoping my other grades will bring it up!

Are you 100% sure??
Reply 27
Can someone get hold of the paper , answer it and upload it like they do in maths
Reply 28
I think I messed up on question 9 and confused à with ou! Ah well...pretty sure number three was Nice though - I did a mock literally the night before and there was a really similar style question about going to the cinema. The girl's response was a bit hard to catch...I think she said "alors nous y allons' or something? Screw the kids if they think it's boring haha
Reply 29
It was definatley Annecy. But it was confusing. Because it just said- Annecy, something about a concert, the kids will love it, we will go there. So I struggled to find the reasons. Obviously I put about the evening, but the other two were guesses.
Reply 30
Original post by Paradox.
Nope, the answer was Nice. I asked my teacher and she had the transcript and confirmed it.
The three reasons were: Stuff to do in the evening, Good restaurants and Good sporting facilities (something along those lines).

Rather absurdly- I chose Annecy but I think I somehow got all the reasons right!

Definitely got good sporting facilities and good restaurants... sure I got things in the evening too....

...so YAY!

BTW in the sports hall we did it in.... SO UNCLEAR!!

Anyone else doing it in some sort of hall have poor sound quality??
Reply 31
Original post by Paradox.
There was also the one about mobile phones in class?
some of the answers I can remember:
The mobile one went Gad, the other person, Gad, Samir.
Family Relations: the correct answers made a diamond shape - that's all I remember :colondollar:
Holiday to France: (might of missed one)
rent a house
nice area
Portugal
9)a)You can put it in your pocket/You can download books on it anywhere/It doesn't use paper (any 2)
b)Are e-readers an ecological solution or do they damage the environment? (not exactly like that but I think it's the general gist - I don't think that answer would get the mark though)
c) something about old e-readers and I heard 12% somewhere - not sure of the answer though
10a) You can download more than 7000 books onto one unit
b)It encourages their children to read
c) they would prefer to play video games

I didn't quite say more than 7000... just said: "You can download many books onto once device"... do you think I'd get the mark??
Reply 32
Was Annecy the one on the right or left? and does anyone have a rough idea what mark would receive A and what mark for A*? What UMS score is required for A* overall?

thanks
Reply 33
Original post by Kakashidude101
Im pretty sure for the holiday one they visited their aunt, i remembered hearing tante and petit maison,

she said usually I stay round my aunt's.... but this time she rented a little house....

Sneaky exam board!
Reply 34
Original post by joff
I put Nice for question 3. I'm sure they spoke about Nice first, then Annecy, place 3, then back to Annecy then Nice, and the girl says "c'est genial" at the end

For the reasons I put things to do in the evening (i heard the word concert and fireworks "feu d'artifice"), good restaurants (heard something but can't remember what) and good sport facilities (that was a guess)

Don't know if it's right but I hope it was

reasons- correct!
Reply 35

someone said their teacher had the transcript and confirmed Nice.

?!?!?!?!?!?!
Original post by siddiqi360
she said usually I stay round my aunt's.... but this time she rented a little house....

Sneaky exam board!

They say to listen out for key words but when u do, BAM, curveball...
Reply 37
Original post by goody442
Was Annecy the one on the right or left? and does anyone have a rough idea what mark would receive A and what mark for A*? What UMS score is required for A* overall?

thanks

Annecy was on the far right....
Reply 38

I'm glad to hear this. I felt sure it was Annecy.

Original post by taamuuu
Thats hardly fair is it? Surely its meant to be the invigilator whos in control of the tape. I think its greatly unfair that you got to rewind and replay - it defeats the purpose of a listening. If we could rewind they might as well award anyone and everyone a A*, dont you think?

It's well within the rules to listen to the recording via a computer with headphones. The only specification is that candidates receive 40 minutes overall and no longer unless they are entitled to extra time.
It's not unfair because we got no extra time and if we decided to rewind (which I did in a couple of places) we lost time at the end. As a result of me making a few rewinds, I had to rush questions 9 and 10 and I only got to hear them once.

Sure, you could argue that it defeats the point of listening by being able to rewind, but how is that any different than getting to hear each clip twice anyway? You're still listening to it more than once which is not what practical for real life scenarios. I think you're seeing it as a far bigger advantage than it really is because there's only two of us who are possible A* candidates with listening anyway. The majority of people who took the Higher Listening in my class will be looking at B's and C's.
I will admit I think the headphones are a nice advantage, but I don't think the rewinding option is because by rewinding you're taking time away for later on in the paper.

Original post by siddiqi360
I didn't quite say more than 7000... just said: "You can download many books onto once device"... do you think I'd get the mark??

Probably not. The reason I say that is because the last question(s) on all of these papers, regardless of the exam board, are what are known as 'discriminators' where they look for really fine details, such as numbers. If they said a number rather than 'many' which is the terminology you used in your answer, then I don't think you'll get the mark.

Original post by goody442

thanks

Annecy was Option C which was on the right. :colondollar:
Reply 39
Can i ask you guys, how are you revising reading? Please share some really GOOD techniques; i'm most grateful:biggrin::biggrin:

Quick Reply