The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Mental Health Support Society MKVII

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1320
Original post by Anonymous
Just got back from my GP. He's leaving the practice soon apparently :frown: Sad because he's a really nice doctor and it'll be a bit scary seeing someone new!

He's keeping me on the 20mg of citalopram because he says it's "highly likely" that it'll kick in over the next couple of weeks. Apparently I was re-referred from CAMHS to the psychological well-being service, but I'm not sure whether they'll be in touch or not seeing as when I went for the assessment the woman told me just to continue seeing the therapist at school :dontknow:

So I'm going to give the 20mg another 2 weeks. If it hasn't kicked in by then I'll go back the the doctors and see what they can do. I just really hope it starts working soon.

Out of interest, if you go to A&E due to feeling suicidal, what happens? I keep being told to go if I want to hurt myself, but I can't really see how it would help? :confused:

Sorry to hear your GP is leaving, sometimes changing doctors can be a good thing though -I liked my old GP and was so worried about having to move drs when I moved, but I love my current one and she has done so much more to help me than the one I had before did.

A&E is a bit of a postcode lottery I think - my aunt's local hospital just sends her home again with the Samaritans number unless she has made an attempt and does not refer to the mental health team - my local one asks you to wait to speak to their in house MH team, although I think it is technically voluntary that you wait, if they think you are at serious risk they will call the police if you do a runner while waiting (or at least my local A&E do :colondollar:)

Going to A&E can speed up referrals to CMHT's potentially, or can get the crisis team involved for home visits to check up on you and see how you are getting on, so it can be useful, my first A&E visit ended with a voluntary admission to hospital for me as me, my partner, my psychiatrist and the assessing dr from the hospital MH team all agreed that it would be beneficial for me but we stuck to voluntary as I was agreeable to going.

I'm not sure exactly what they do if you are under 18 though (guessing your 18 or under due to mentioning CAMHS - if your not, I am very sorry), as I have been over 18 for all my trips through A&E.
Reply 1321
My dad is a ****ing bastard. He said that the room can be printed blue, but now he says they're all too dark. He even suggested that we do it next year, which is silly as I'll hopefully be gone for good by September, which means wasting money.

:angry: :cry:
For those of you who are taking citalopram- do you ever feel void of emotion? I mean like you can't cry even if you feel you want to?
Original post by sunfowers01
For those of you who are taking citalopram- do you ever feel void of emotion? I mean like you can't cry even if you feel you want to?

I did get a bit like that when I was on citalopram. For some people it does go away I think, but citalopram caused me other issues which made me stop it. Although for others SSRIs do just make them numb.
I'm on citalopram since yesturday. I can still cry, but one thing I have noticed is that I have been yawning like crazy. I mean I had 8 hours sleep last night. I'm yawning as type this post, I yawned about 5 times in the shower yesturday.

I don't want to be one that bitches about side affects, I'm not sure if its related even but its something I've noticed in the past 24 hours definitely.
Original post by Sharpshooter
I'm on citalopram since yesturday. I can still cry, but one thing I have noticed is that I have been yawning like crazy. I mean I had 8 hours sleep last night. I'm yawning as type this post, I yawned about 5 times in the shower yesturday.

I don't want to be one that bitches about side affects, I'm not sure if its related even but its something I've noticed in the past 24 hours definitely.

Citalopram and other SSRIs can definitely cause a lot of yawning for some reason when you first start. Citalopram and sertraline both did it to me. Posisbly duloxetine too, I don't remember. It generally goes away after a while, might come back when you increase dose and then go away again when you get used to it.
Reply 1326
Original post by sunfowers01

I sometimes get that, been on it for two weeks tomorrow and I have had maybe four or five terrible days where I haven't left my bed and just stare at the wall or watch tv. How long have you been on it?
Reply 1327
Original post by avhhs
My dad is a ****ing bastard. He said that the room can be printed blue, but now he says they're all too dark. He even suggested that we do it next year, which is silly as I'll hopefully be gone for good by September, which means wasting money.

:angry: :cry:

:hugs: Can you talk to hint and explain why it would be a bad idea?
So my psychiatrist didn't forward details of my quetiapine increase to my GP so when I went to pick up the prescription today I couldn't get a refill. Now I have a choice, stop taking the increased quetiapine (well tbh I am fine so that would be ok), possibly get withdrawal....not so good, or I can phone up the psychiatrist muck about on the phone for ages, get them to fax it to the GP walk the 4 mile round journey back to the GP to pick up a prescription then go to boots to pick it up. The first is sounding infinitely more appealing. :holmes:

Likely to get withdrawal after 2 weeks of quetiapine, anyone know?
Original post by Sabertooth
So my psychiatrist didn't forward details of my quetiapine increase to my GP so when I went to pick up the prescription today I couldn't get a refill. Now I have a choice, stop taking the increased quetiapine (well tbh I am fine so that would be ok), possibly get withdrawal....not so good, or I can phone up the psychiatrist muck about on the phone for ages, get them to fax it to the GP walk the 4 mile round journey back to the GP to pick up a prescription then go to boots to pick it up. The first is sounding infinitely more appealing. :holmes:

Likely to get withdrawal after 2 weeks of quetiapine, anyone know?

Whether it's a good idea depends whether you're fine *because* of the quetiapine or not :tongue: But for what it's worth I was on a moderate dose (200-300mg) for 3 or 4 weeks and just stopped it when 300mg started giving me awful restlessness but no noticeable withdrawal effects.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Exopaladin
Whether it's a good idea depends whether you're fine *because* of the quetiapine or not :tongue: But for what it's worth I was on a moderate dose (200-300mg) for 3 or 4 weeks and just stopped it when 300mg started giving me awful restlessness but no noticeable withdrawal effects.

Ah ok, that makes me feel better, probably wouldn't get withdrawal in that case. :beard:
Reply 1331
Original post by Anonymous
Just got back from my GP. He's leaving the practice soon apparently :frown: Sad because he's a really nice doctor and it'll be a bit scary seeing someone new!

He's keeping me on the 20mg of citalopram because he says it's "highly likely" that it'll kick in over the next couple of weeks. Apparently I was re-referred from CAMHS to the psychological well-being service, but I'm not sure whether they'll be in touch or not seeing as when I went for the assessment the woman told me just to continue seeing the therapist at school :dontknow:

So I'm going to give the 20mg another 2 weeks. If it hasn't kicked in by then I'll go back the the doctors and see what they can do. I just really hope it starts working soon.

Out of interest, if you go to A&E due to feeling suicidal, what happens? I keep being told to go if I want to hurt myself, but I can't really see how it would help? :confused:

I went to A+E in January with a friend when I didn't feel safe. Told the receptionist "I'm suicidal", took name, address etc. and was told to sit down. It was about 2 in the morning on a Saturday IIRC and there were only 4 other people waiting in that area.
After about 15-20 minutes I was seen by the triage nurse who took blood pressure, asked if I'd taken anything, then took me to a waiting room further down the corridor.
After 10 minutes waiting there I was shown to a cubicle and a junior-ish doctor assessed me, took a mental health history, how I was feeling at that time, any plans I'd made etc.
Then the consultant came and spoke to me about pretty much exactly the same stuff (:lol:). She phoned the crisis team and they chatted to me for a while but said there weren't any beds available that night so they'd just have to come and see me the next day at uni.
I told the consultant that I really, really wasn't safe and that tomorrow might not be good enough, so she found me a bed on a ward in the hospital where I stayed overnight. The crisis team came and assessed me the next afternoon but by that point I was so tired of being asked questions that I just wanted to go home so I eventually wriggled my way out of being hospitalised (though I ended up there a week or two later anyway), and they let me go.

And that's pretty much it.

Given that there aren't any fast-acting drugs to treat suicidal feelings (or at least not until they start doing some proper ketamine trials, which has shown some promise), if the doctors at A+E really think you aren't safe, they will have to either find you a bed in that hospital, or in a psychiatric ward, because there isn't really anything else they can do.
If it's an acute problem that might get better in a few hours I imagine they might find you somewhere to sit where they can check up on you until they're satisfied that you're ok to go.

It might all sounds a little scary, but I was very calm throughout the whole process (although that could be because of the emotions/deadness that I was feeling).
It's something that's definitely worth doing IMO if you really feel you aren't safe, and you will be taken seriously there.
Reply 1332
Original post by AmiB
:hugs: Can you talk to hint and explain why it would be a bad idea?

Don't worry, it's not happening :frown: . He started going through my stuff again, so I decided I wasn't going with my mum to get the paint so it could be done. I am certain he is trying to get rid of me.

Thanks for replying anyway :hugs: . How are you? :smile:
Reply 1333
Best friend texted me this morning asking if I wanted to go shopping. I said yes, but 'lets go this afternoon because I haven't slept yet'. She texted back asking if I'm alright. I said no and I'll explain later.

Looks like I'm going to tell her. I don't know why this is making me nervous. She's wonderful, she'll understand and it's better she knows.
Original post by Exopaladin
I did get a bit like that when I was on citalopram. For some people it does go away I think, but citalopram caused me other issues which made me stop it. Although for others SSRIs do just make them numb.

Thanks for your reply

Original post by Sharpshooter

Hope it gets better soon.

Original post by AmiB
I sometimes get that, been on it for two weeks tomorrow and I have had maybe four or five terrible days where I haven't left my bed and just stare at the wall or watch tv. How long have you been on it?

Thanks for your reply. I've been on it now for about 10 weeks. I sarted on 10mg, then it was increased to 20mg. The tears are there but I just can't cry. I feel so empty.
Reply 1335
Original post by d123
Best friend texted me this morning asking if I wanted to go shopping. I said yes, but 'lets go this afternoon because I haven't slept yet'. She texted back asking if I'm alright. I said no and I'll explain later.

Looks like I'm going to tell her. I don't know why this is making me nervous. She's wonderful, she'll understand and it's better she knows.

Well done :jumphug:
Reply 1336
My dad really has triggered me :angry: :cry: . I want to teach him a lesson, because it is clear he has forgotten the last one. He needs to realise that I have feelings. He clearly thinks of me as a burden. I can't leave the house if he is also there. I can't trust him with anything.
Reply 1337
I am not sure if my mum is just dumb, deluded or ill. My vote is a mix of the three.
Reply 1338
Original post by Idle
I am not sure if my mum is just dumb, deluded or ill. My vote is a mix of the three.

:console: know how that feels :cry2:
I really need to call the doctors and arrange an appointment (So I can have my medical report in order to get disability benefit allowance)

But all I can do is lay in bed, and brood over how much a **** up I am.

Everything should die. q.q

Latest